Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Post  (Read 1987 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit Post
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
After doing some research online and seeing approximately 20 million ways to support dragon fruit, I was left with a couple questions. First, it seems like six feet is the most recommended height; is that just to make fruit easier to see and pick, can I go lower? Second, I recently heard someone recommended not having a support at the top of the post since it isn’t necessary and will make it top heavy (I’m planning on making them with concrete), can anyone confirm that?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit Post
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:53:45 AM »
I think lower than six feet will not be good since the plants when cascading make very long branches , I mean u could always prune it , but the plants will be happier if u leave them get more plant mass to them . I am planning on having my posts as heigh as me ,maybe an idea shorter at around 160- 170 cm, since they cascade and u need to have space below the top of the post.
Now for the top of the post, for me it is needed since it spreads the weight of the plant mass and eases formation of the canopy of the whole thing.
I dont think the top couses the post to fall or tip since without it the plant will get similarly top heavy and without a sturdy base it would also fail to support itself.... .
U just need to make a sturdy base, if its cement pole like In my situation , just bury it deep enough, mine is tall around 225 cm and I will have around 70 cm from the pole, burried into the soil
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:05:45 AM by Plantinyum »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 04:20:10 AM »
I went topless for a short while haha. Some cultivars have heaps of aerial roots and could support a decent amount of weight. Others have almost none. I ended up making tops to slip over the concrete posts once it was obvious that most wouldn’t just support themselves.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:26:11 AM »
Chest height for me, and I’m 6’1”. If the branches get too long, just cut the tip off to stop them growing. This in turn causes the branch to thicken up and store energy for the upcoming flowers. Each to their own, but I never need a ladder to pollinate or pick.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 02:02:07 AM »
Chest height for me, and I’m 6’1”. If the branches get too long, just cut the tip off to stop them growing. This in turn causes the branch to thicken up and store energy for the upcoming flowers. Each to their own, but I never need a ladder to pollinate or pick.

Yes, I agree. I am not a commercial grower and appreciate easily managing them. I'm about to get going on my new ones in ground.

OP, I prefer redwood or alaskan cedar posts. These are cemented into the ground with a raised bed or pot by them. I thought about going concrete this time but realized it's a hassle if I want to rearrange or re-landscape concrete posts going to weigh a considerable amount and it would be hard to repurpose.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »

Yes, I agree. I am not a commercial grower and appreciate easily managing them. I'm about to get going on my new ones in ground.

OP, I prefer redwood or alaskan cedar posts. These are cemented into the ground with a raised bed or pot by them. I thought about going concrete this time but realized it's a hassle if I want to rearrange or re-landscape concrete posts going to weigh a considerable amount and it would be hard to repurpose.

Hey John,

I don’t trust anything wood in Florida! I’ve had untreated posts fail in six months and treated posts fail after a couple of years. Cedar and redwood is pretty scarce around here and expensive if you can find it (I’m not sure if I would trust it to last more than a couple years anyway). I was pretty shocked at how fast wood rots down here, very different from out west!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
5ft is better than 6ft if you aren't super tall.  Concrete is good, no tops necessary.  Its better if you can put something on top but it can be done without.  I like the top of the post to be about 5ft high above grade.

If you go topless, theres a way to braid the plants over one another to get them attached at the top.  You should also use a synthetic rope 2 or 3 spots including the top area to attach them if you go topless. 

If you Google "dragonfruit farm" you will see most plantations dont use tops. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:44:42 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 01:14:26 AM »
Very interesting about wood out there. I can understand but check out the cheaper alaskan cedar (which is actually a cypress). Get rough cut 4*4 which should be cheaper then the select grades. But yeah, not sure what it goes for out there! In the PNW, they sometimes use these as  dock boards, so they are always in the water and do not rot.

Nonetheless, you can cheaply construct a cement post but I just can't deal with a post I'll need to move or demolish in the future. If that is not your issue, go concrete. There are a couple good YT videos of someone using concrete blocks and filling them in for under $40? They also show how they use PVC over the rebar for the top. I think they are easily managed when helped on the top. Good luck!!

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 10:14:59 PM »
Does anyone have pics of their trellis?  I'm looking for more ideas and leaning towards a pot solution in case I move in the future and can bring my DF with me.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
Does anyone have pics of their trellis?  I'm looking for more ideas and leaning towards a pot solution in case I move in the future and can bring my DF with me.

I wouldn’t worry about moving them, they root so easily from cuttings you can just hack off a big section of your plant and be well on your way to have a full size plant again. My neighbor gave me a 4 foot section of his plant and I just leaned in against a palm trees and it took off! It just won’t fruit which I understand is common for DF grown in shade like this.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »

Just use a post and build a raised bed. Easy peasy. I've moved several times and just take big cuttings with me. I also made sure to give plenty to my friends so I could get more if needed.

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 11:49:49 AM »
I have 2 dragon fruit plants and decided to go with this option.  In the middle of the post is a steel pipe that was driven a few feet into the ground (I have limerock and rock from the house pad 12" under the soil in this location).

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the ideas!  I like the idea of simply taking my cutting with me when I'm ready to move, so I'll do that. 

That said, I saw this youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0z1SI-gNGA&t=326s, 5 min 26 sec, and I'm planning on using 2 existing concrete beams from my upstairs balcony to make my trellis.  I'll consider it "agritechture" ;)

I've attached pics of the 2 beams which are 16" wide, and most cinder block is 16" as well.  In the video, it looks like he has 2 dragonfruits vines growing into 1 trellis.  I have 1 Sugar Dragon, 1 Purple Haze, and 1 Ecuadorian Yellow Palora.  So one column will have 2 dragon fruit vines, and the other 1 (my neighbor is to the left so I was planning on doing 1 variety on one side to minimize potential of growth into their property).  Does it matter which 2 grow together?  Will I get less amount of fruit from the trellis with 2 dragonfruit vines from the same trellis because they're competing for space or does it not matter?  Should I buy 1 more dragonfruit so that's 2 and 2 which will be more aesthetically pleasing, and I get more dragonfruit, or would 2 on one column closest to neighbors risk dragonfruit growing on their property?

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »
I personally do not like to attach DF to the house because of their aerial roots. When I moved into my new house, I placed my cuttings in a shady spot leaning on the stucco of the house. Couple months later, the aerial roots were gripping the stucco so much, it actually ripped the stucco off in pieces (as well as the roots).

But, if you go that route, my personal experience has taught me to stick with one variety per post. Two vines seem to work best for a lazy backyard warrior, like myself.

I don't know how the yellow grows, but I have the 8S and the PH. Those two will certainly not mix well together, but the 8S is great at pollinating. Keep them separate but close.

Just my $.02

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 07:36:35 AM »
I have had no problem planting 4 plants around a square post on open ground but the column on the slab only has one side with soil available.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 11:57:05 PM »
I have my DFs both in-ground and in containers.
Here are the potted ones.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
I personally do not like to attach DF to the house because of their aerial roots. When I moved into my new house, I placed my cuttings in a shady spot leaning on the stucco of the house. Couple months later, the aerial roots were gripping the stucco so much, it actually ripped the stucco off in pieces (as well as the roots).

But, if you go that route, my personal experience has taught me to stick with one variety per post. Two vines seem to work best for a lazy backyard warrior, like myself.

I don't know how the yellow grows, but I have the 8S and the PH. Those two will certainly not mix well together, but the 8S is great at pollinating. Keep them separate but close.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the info John, and it's appreciated.  I like learning from others that have already walked the path so to speak haha.  I'll definitely only do 1 DF per column then.

In the video he has a piece of wood on top of the cinder blocks, and there's a gap between the cinder block and the vertical wood beam.  My thought is if I trained the DF to climb the front wooden beam, and then come out the top, then I would be good.  Do you think that there would be risk in ruining the stucco with that approach?  Here's a couple pics of his set-up to show it a bit better:

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »
The roots will start to grip everywhere they can. Definitely will go everywhere they can to attach themselves. You can see from this picture, how long they can get. Look at the post and you'll notice some of the roots are like rope.