Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Potting Soil  (Read 794 times)

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit Potting Soil
« on: April 17, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »
I'm making 4 new posts with 2x12 raised beds. My friend sold his hydroponics store and I no longer have access to cheap quality potting  soil.

I'm too busy to mix my own mix these days, so I was looking at bulk soil from Evergreen nursery (local commercial nursery that sells bulk soil). They have a citrus/palm/cactus mix as well as a raised bed mix. They do not list exactly what is in each one.

Has anyone used anything similar with success without any additional amendments to start off? Or used a cheaper all inclusive bagged potting soil? I've got about 16-20 cubic feet, so it would be pricey for premium bagged potting soil.

Thanks in advance

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit Potting Soil
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »
use coarse DG and just a bit of manure on the top and mulch on top of that.

you can come take DG from here if you want it.

the upside to DG over a compost soil is it doesnt break down and it drains well. compost soil will turn to dust after a couple years its uesless.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:29:00 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:27:50 PM »
what's DG?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »
decomposed granite soil thats native in the foothills in san diego county.

John if your soil is sandy loam or dg just use the native soil.  it looks like it isnt clay but hard to tell from the pic.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:34:30 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »
Thanks, Brad. That's interesting about DG. What's your ratio of manure to DG? Two ingredients wouldn't be too bad. I am getting a few yards of mulch for the rest of the hill, so I was planning to layer that on top.

I have nutrient rich clay less than a foot down. I've basically created a giant raised bed with a retaining wall we put in so at least it drains better but the DF would struggle until it's amended more. I've had that section under heavy mulch and a half yard of worm castings for a year and a half, so it is starting to get better. I figured give the DF something great until they break down into ok clay  soil. Here's what it looks like after you dig. Some areas are extremely compacted (like rock).

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »
I can see some granite, theres a granite Boulder in the pic.   But it also looks like maybe clay?  Hard to tell from the pics.

You can just use an inch of composted chicken manure over the soil or cow manure, it doesn't really matter.  Top layer it instead of mixing lot of compost into the dirt. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:15:45 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »
I can see some granite, theres a granite Boulder in the pic.   But it also looks like maybe clay?  Hard to tell from the pics.

You can just use an inch of composted chicken manure over the soil or cow manure, it doesn't really matter.  Top layer it instead of mixing lot of compost into the dirt.

Brad, that granite rock is from the old retaining wall. I threw the rocks around the hill for aesthetics after we demolished the wall.  I definitely have a red clay base less than a foot down.

I appreciate the offer for some DG but my truck has a yard of crushed rock I'm working through. Maybe if I clear it out before I come this week.

Does any coarse DG work? This method is a stark contrast from what I have done in the past. I've consistently had good results with Roots Organic potting soil, so it was a rich soil.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »
The stuff they sell at the store for landscaping is maybe too coarse because they screen it and get it extra chunky, its more like gravel.  You want the native soil that has coarse stuff but also a little loam in it. 

You can go with organic potting mix too.  I dont want to lead you down the wrong path.  The DG doesn't break down over time, its just an anchor for the plant that drains well.  It isn't rich soil so you need to fertilize it if you go that direction.  When you put in a permanent plant like DF, you don't want spent potting mix 3 years later.  Its not like a vegetable garden you can till up and ammend later.  Having a mineral soil that doesn't decompose will be good long term.

Thats just my take on it, theres certainly a lot of people using bagged forest product for DF out there.  You probably get lots of opinions if you ask on the Facebook DF group.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:47:03 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
Brad, you're opinion is certainly valuable. Longevity is certainly my consideration this time around. I'm definitely open to a new soil structure than I've worked with in the past.

I don't have a FB account. Wonder if it's the same folks from the old yahoo Pitaya group? I haven't logged into that in 10 years.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 01:00:02 AM »
the guy Richard who has youtube videos has a facebook group called "grafting dragonfruit".  The knowledge level on this forum is much greater.  But there is dedicated to DF and theres thousands of members.  If you dont have FB, dont bother, you arent missing much. 
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 01:55:39 AM »
Oh gosh, I understand. I'll try to pick your brain when I come up this week. I'll text you as soon as I confirm a day I can make it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk