Author Topic: Young mango tree trimming question  (Read 790 times)

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
Young mango tree trimming question
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:26:23 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased and planted a Seacrest/Triplesec mango tree that is very tall (maybe 7-8ft) from a 3 gallon pot.  It doesn't have any lower branches and I would like to keep the tree at a reasonable height when mature and encourage more branching now.

How low can I top this tree? Would cutting it to 4 or 5ft be too much?

Thanks! :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Young mango tree trimming question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased and planted a Seacrest/Triplesec mango tree that is very tall (maybe 7-8ft) from a 3 gallon pot.  It doesn't have any lower branches and I would like to keep the tree at a reasonable height when mature and encourage more branching now.

How low can I top this tree? Would cutting it to 4 or 5ft be too much?

Thanks! :)

As long as you cut it above the graft. Put pug or pugging in the search engine quite interesting reading
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:33:35 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 10:00:50 AM »
Thank you both!

The pugging threads were interesting--I read a comment stating it might be beneficial to leave a newly planted tree in the ground for a few months before topping it (to establish roots).  Seems like a good idea to leave them in a few months before topping?  We haven't quite started the rainy season down here and most of my other young mango trees are on their second blooms (3g trees I planted last fall that I didn't allow to carry fruit).

I'm interested in this method of keeping trees short for my soursop trees--anyone have experience with keeping soursop trees shorter and wider?  They seem to like to grow tall and more pyramidal in shape.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:38:20 AM »
As you are in SW Ranches, home to constant high humidity,  I very strongly suggest keeping 3.5-4 feet or more of clearance between the lowest branches and the ground to allow for air circulation.  This will help in controlling fungal issues.

Yes, let it establish itself before the decapitation.  Hell, it may even push some branches on its own.
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:15:29 PM »
This is the best instructional video I know of which explains in detail and shows how to do formative pruning of young mango trees. Watch it all, but pay special attention to the part around 8:00 minutes in when they show how to manage a very young tree.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc&t

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Rob, thank you for the advice!  It does occasionally flood in the area where I planted them, so yes, I will not top them below 4 feet.  I'll also wait a couple of months until the operation--thanks, again.

Thanks for the video pineislander!  I've been searching for good YT mango pruning videos, I'll add this one to my playlist. :)