Author Topic: Mango bloom again!  (Read 1467 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango bloom again!
« on: April 22, 2021, 05:33:05 AM »
Starting from the beginning of March until a couple of weeks ago I slowly and methodically removed little mangoes when they got eraser sized or about the size of the end of your index finger. The Paniacles all dried and fell off. After two days of heavy rain Monday and Tuesday guess what. Dot  Julie iDwarf Hawaiian are flowering again. The trees that I pruned to one fruit per paniacle then the trees then reduce the crop from there are not flowering. What am I to think. It was quite time-consuming to prune all those little mangoes  Maybe I should have just probably let the tree take care of itself. I couldn't imagine someone with three or four hundred trees taking the time to do that. Is anyone else's trees flowering at this late date?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:45:41 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango bloom again!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:49:29 AM »
Yes, all my newly planted 3g trees that flowered and I didn't allow to carry fruit are flowering again: Carrie, Orange Sherbert, and Sweet Tart.  My Ice Cream mango has been established for a couple of years and none of the fruit from the initial bloom stayed on the tree so it is blooming again, too.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
Yes, all my newly planted 3g trees that flowered and I didn't allow to carry fruit are flowering again: Carrie, Orange Sherbert, and Sweet Tart.  My Ice Cream mango has been established for a couple of years and none of the fruit from the initial bloom stayed on the tree so it is blooming again, too.

Carrie, Orange Sherbert, and Sweet Tart.   Ice Cream mango......

I have the same minus the Ice Cream. You have made fine selections. You must have been studying this forum :)
Carries carry controversy.
But for me I rank at or above the new Zills. 
Carrie is for those who take the red pill.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »

I have the same minus the Ice Cream. You have made fine selections. You must have been studying this forum :)
You know fliptop clued me in on Black coffee Cold pork rind Pizza breakfast. Sounds horrific but I kind of like it.  I'm thinking now maybe Carrie is an acquired taste and I'll give it another try :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »
Since two of my three 'condo' mangoes did bloom but set no fruit yet are large enough to carry a few fruit can they be pushed with a small shot of fertilizer (or what?) to encourage a rebloom?  These two mangoes are 'Beverly' and 'Irwin'.

Happily the third one is 'Ice Cream' and of the ten fruit that it originally set it's holding onto three which are now more than an inch in diameter!

Any advice for me about those first two mangoes that did not set fruit to maybe encourage them to rebloom?  All are in 7g pots.

TIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:26:46 PM by Epicatt2 »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 03:14:23 PM »

Sometimes you just have to taste things for yourself. I thought carrie was bad from some reviews, but I tried some last year and it was really good. Maha Chanok is another one, I like it just as much or more than the lemon zests I’ve had, especially if they come from mature trees.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »

Yes, I have been scouring this forum for mango variety info and picked what I thought I might like best on the descriptions, my preferred flavors, and disease susceptibility since I live in a very wet, humid area.

I have not tasted anything I have planted, beyond Ice Cream (which I like very much), so my fingers are crossed that I made good selections for myself, including the controversial Carrie. :D  I also recently planted: Pickering, Seacrest/Triplesec, M4, and Honey Kiss and picked up a 1gal Sunrise from Alex @TA that is too small to plant out.   Luckily, I have lots of family and friends who will be happy to take unwanted mangos off my hands.  I am also going to try to buy some mango boxes from Alex @ TA so I can taste some of these--if they are objectionable, I'll just replace the ones I don't like. :)

I currently have mature NDM and Kent trees, so those are some of my baseline flavors.  I am not much of a fan of NDM when ripe (yellow), but I am going to try them again this year before they turn yellow, and maybe I will like them better at that stage.  If anyone in the Broward area wants to try some NDM, I am happy to let you have some when they ripen, lol.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:30:20 PM »
I have a seacrest and so far my tree has exhibited poor anthracnose resistance in Southwest Ranches. This year, I do have a decent crop but so do my other normally anthracnose prone trees, southern blush, fruit punch, and rapoza. I believe this is the third year flowering. Prior years had plenty of panicles but the panicles went black quick even with spraying and only got 1 fruit.
Brandon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 08:50:15 PM »
Hot black coffee no sugar and cold cheese pizza. No pork rinds, cold or otherwise.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 09:19:05 PM »
Hot black coffee no sugar and cold cheese pizza. No pork rinds, cold or otherwise.
You know I just made that up on the Fly cuz it sounded poetic but in this crazy world there actually is pork rind pizza crust

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/397/Pork-Rind-Pizza-Crust87541.shtml

Back on topic Carrie may be worth another try I'll just have to take a red pill first. Maybe I should ask Alice.Lol
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:42:31 PM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »

When I do drink coffee ......only hot black, no milk or sugar on an empty stomach.
Cold pizza? Not for me.
Take a thick bottom frying pan. Might be cast iron. Counter intuitively--Put the pizza slice face down in it. Low flame as possible. Nice and hot in 10-15 minutes.
Aldi has super cheap pepperoni pizza (bit more than $2) that there are tricks for, to make it as good as a good slice, with a nicely browned crisped under-carriage, at a real Italian place. At least for me.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:03:42 AM by zands »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:07:31 AM »
Like many others experienced this year, my Carrie failed with male flowers early but is reblooming again for a late second crop. Zone 10b SWFL.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:09:18 AM »
Gary Zill- idea- pizza flavor mangos & have it bloom twice :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 09:20:35 AM »

Papa John has pizza that has pineapples on it. I wonder if that would be a good use for Carrie put them in the freezer and serve them at your New Year's Eve party on pizza. Lol

The next time someone says. I don't like Carrie you can say well have you tried it on pizza!? Lol

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 10:07:46 AM »

Papa John has pizza that has pineapples on it. I wonder if that would be a good use for Carrie put them in the freezer and serve them at your New Year's Eve party on pizza. Lol

The next time someone says. I don't like Carrie you can say well have you tried it on pizza!? Lol

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
Like many others experienced this year, my Carrie failed with male flowers early but is reblooming again for a late second crop. Zone 10b SWFL.

Carrie will tarry
2nd 3rd blooms and more
But delicious down to the core
Yes, you can eat the seed
If you are in need
For Carrie-
Bide yr time and chill
And down that red pill
Then come back here and spill
On what you tasted
Carrie - never tossed out or wasted

Carrie keeps coming across
It is never a loss
So you will never toss (it)

The Carrie tree was named after Lawrence Zill's mother, Carrie Zill.[2] It first fruited in 1940 and commercial propagation began in 1949.[3] Thereafter Carrie gained a reputation for having excellent eating qualities and good disease resistance.[4] Its commercial application was limited due to the fruit's lack of color and soft flesh, but it became a popular dooryard variety in Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(mango)#:~:text=The%20%27Carrie%27%20mango%20is%20a%20named%20mango%20cultivar,reportedly%20a%20seedling%20of%20the%20%27Sophie%20Fry%27%20mango.

Alex-Squam probably wrote this wiki----
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:24:05 AM by zands »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »
I have today off and I just took a look and I have to add PPK fruit punch and Sugarloaf to the rebloom list that contains DOD Julie and  Dwarf Hawaiian. I have read where you folks discussed this as a tactic to get some varieties to have a late crop. I would not have thought of using this tactic on these particular somewhat early varieties but it seems to be working out that way
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:45:55 PM by bovine421 »

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
I have a seacrest and so far my tree has exhibited poor anthracnose resistance in Southwest Ranches. This year, I do have a decent crop but so do my other normally anthracnose prone trees, southern blush, fruit punch, and rapoza. I believe this is the third year flowering. Prior years had plenty of panicles but the panicles went black quick even with spraying and only got 1 fruit.

Oh nooooo. :(

Thanks for heads-up, Brandon.  I planted it in a spot in my yard that has good airflow and is the least underwater during the summer rains.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it produces decently--my Kent seems to do ok and it's not in the greatest place in my yard.  :-\

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 07:11:40 PM »

No pork rinds, no pineapple, no salmon, no frozen pizza.  THIS is my idea of pizza. . .homemade, fresh mozzarella, and prosciutto di Parma.  Oh, and a Sam Adams Summer Ale, to aid digestion, of course.