Author Topic: Does the use of mulch wood chips and sawdust increase the risk of anthracnose  (Read 504 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I would like to increase the biodiversity of the microorganisms in my soil with wood chips mulch. I don't really need it for moisture retention or nutrients but I'm concerned it will increase the chance of anthracnose. I've read where it's advised to pick up leaves twigs and Fallen fruit to reduce levels of anthracnose so logic would tell me that if you are using mulch wood chips and sawdust that you are aggravating the situation. Please tell me the flaws in my logic. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I would like to increase the biodiversity of the microorganisms in my soil with wood chips mulch. I don't really need it for moisture retention or nutrients but I'm concerned it will increase the chance of anthracnose. I've read where it's advised to pick up leaves twigs and Fallen fruit to reduce levels of anthracnose so logic would tell me that if you are using mulch wood chips and sawdust that you are aggravating the situation. Please tell me the flaws in my logic. :)

I have no answer about anthracnose but in a similar fungal vein...... Buy a good mask with carbon filters to deal with wood chips from a tree trimmer. Loads of mold spores in these righteous loads. I have such a mask/respirator/ been there, done this. Bagged mulch from HD and elsewhere does not seem to have this problem. But see, it might.

"Farmer's lung" is what you can get -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer%27s_lung
Mask examples---- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Organic+Vapor+Respirator&ref=nb_sb_noss ------- You can Wear this due to Covid when seeing friends and relatives of unknown status.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Fungal spores are everywhere, waiting to grow. I doubt you can maintain sterile conditions in an open natural condition. The fungus needs wet conditions to proliferate. Lawn mowing would be an example of an event that would likely radically spread spores.