Author Topic: Achacha Honey Kiss - Garcinia humilis  (Read 3015 times)

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
Achacha Honey Kiss - Garcinia humilis
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »
Is anyone growing Achacha? I just bought one to add to my backyard plant collection :)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha Honey Kiss - Garcinia humilis
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
I have two in my greenhouse, in containers though.   Will be a while before I expect fruit.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »
I might plant it in a half of barrel container to limit it's size, but im still debating it..
The fruit is amazing, can't wait

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 06:23:02 PM »
You may be far south enough to put this in your yard...depending upon the winter lows you get.  Lots of folks in south Florida have them planted out.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »
How big do the trees get? I am trying to get info. on the it's size and/or care but very limited information the web

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »
Yeah I have some nice 3 gallon I'm selling and a some in 7 gallon for me

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »
In the ground, they can probably be squeezed into a 12 ft spot but this will affect yield. They like to grow horizontally so more space should be given. They grow slowly so not difficult to control. They take a long time to fruit, maybe 7 years in optimal conditions and if you are lucky in South Florida. I have 2 trees that are close to 10 years old that have not flowered yet. I planted them in full sun in windy locations. Put it in a shady wind protected spot and it will grow faster.
Brandon

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »
If you want to grow them pretty big fast . Our recommend putting them in partial shade at least the ones I did that too I've been growing quite quickly .
Oh so if you got that from pine Island I recommend you to check how deep they planted because l know ithey been planting plants too deep for a long time now

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 10:50:01 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was going to plant it in full sun but now i will place it in partial shade.. :)

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 11:49:22 PM »
I will keep it in a pot for now to get some size then find a good Sunny location so it fruits better

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 08:46:33 AM »
You can see a mature fruiting tree in this video @ 2:45 very well grown in the Fort Myers area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgyF1bnzOiA&t

I planted 20 last year and gave them 25 feet spacing based on this evidence of their size. It put in soursop centered between each of them for an early yield over the first years, and papaya between each of those for an even earlier yield in the plot. Mulberry and a few others are also in the mix because at such wide spacing there is a lot of room.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
Commercial growers in PR lost many achachairu trees in Hurricane Maria. These were well maintained at around 15ft too. I would not let them get to the size of the tree in the video. At 10 years old, my trees are 10ft by 10ft. Hopefully yours will grow faster than mine.
Brandon

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 12:41:33 PM »
If you want to grow them pretty big fast . Our recommend putting them in partial shade at least the ones I did that too I've been growing quite quickly .
Oh so if you got that from pine Island I recommend you to check how deep they planted because l know ithey been planting plants too deep for a long time now

I’ve noticed that too about PIN, I’ve had to dig down and find the root flares on most my 3gals from there, and just bought a few things from them again this past weekend, noticed the same.  Trees from there have been otherwise healthy and great tho, so I can’t complain too much.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
To stay on topic tho, I also am growing achacha, bought in a 3gal from PIN about 2 years ago, planted in ground in a super shady spot maybe a year and a half ago and it’s grown slowly but been a very happy little tree, puts out in those kinds of spaced growth flushes like mangoes do.  I have so much shade on mine, will be impressed if I ever get fruit, but we’ll see.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 01:38:52 PM »

Here's two out of the three I got about 5 months ago only about 14 inches tall in 1 gallon pot

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 04:37:59 PM »
All commercial growers and everyone I know growing this has their trees in full sun.

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
I purchased one in a 3 gallon and moved to a 15 gallon.  Keep it under an oak tree, water every 3 days, and really only gets partial direct sun until noonish, seems to like it, lots of new shoots.  It is next to my grumichama which I can almost watch growing.  The achacha new leaves take lots more time so far.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »
My achacha tree which is growing in the tropics is growing at about the same rate as my purple mangosteens. 

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 08:32:28 PM »
Achachairu is an understory tree. I know of a tree planted in significant shade that fruits well. We are not commercial achachairu growers for which extra yield is import, with near limitless real estate to plant fruit trees. Most people on this forum are planting trees on home plots. Full sun spots should be reserved for trees that require full sun.
Brandon

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
Achachairu is an understory tree. I know of a tree planted in significant shade that fruits well. We are not commercial achachairu growers for which extra yield is import, with near limitless real estate to plant fruit trees. Most people on this forum are planting trees on home plots. Full sun spots should be reserved for trees that require full sun.
thanks for the info.. i will plant it underneath a Royal Poinciana tree that was planted in my backyard by the previous owner.. i have been wanting to cut that tree for a while now but didnt know what to replace it with.. now, it might serve as sun protection, in the summers, for the Achacha tree and as the Achacha grows, it will serve as the substitute that i was looking for that will allow me to cut Pointciana  :)

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »
I'd like to add that mine are only 2 feet tall and were not affected by the one night of frost I had this year.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
Achachariu tolerates shade but I wouldn’t consider it an understory tree.  It will grow at least as wide as tall.  I have a couple that are about 45’ wide.  More shade, more wide.
Peter

TylerTheTrout

• Bonita Springs, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 09:05:47 AM »
To got 2 Achacha's growing at my house one out in pretty much full sun and one in a partial sun more protected area. So far they're both looking happy only about 2ish ft tall. I planted them in the beginning of February.. I recently purchased some plants in Venice (FL) from a lady and she had a G. humilis that was about 8ft tall that was loaded with small green fruit!! Looking forward to getting fruit one day..

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »
Mine really take to the partial shade.  My larger tree is really putting on some size, and fruiting well.

The smaller one I planted next to my shed and is also pretty happy there.  Also a shady/partial sun area.  I planted it a couple years after the first one.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 04:28:28 PM »
Nice looking plants! Thank you for sharing... i hope mine looks like those in a few years :)