Author Topic: Can a mango tree be propagated from a cutting?  (Read 1158 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Can a mango tree be propagated from a cutting?
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
I just ordered some growth hormone for my Mulberry cuttings and it said that almost any soft wood fruit tree can be propagated from a cutting. Has anyone done this with good results?
Thanks

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Re: Can a mango tree be propagated from a cutting?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:41:57 PM »
Funny i was wondering same this morning as i pruned perfect mini tree looking branches off Kent.
Try it.  I'd experiment prepping cuttings as if scions, maybe shave a couple inches.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:53 PM »
Even if it makes roots, its not long for the world.   Dont waste your time or the hormones.

For mulberries, the Australian white aka green must be grafted.
- Rob

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Yes. You can do. Do you have a spare 30k? TARS system can propagate DURIAN!

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »
Even if it makes roots, its not long for the world.   Dont waste your time or the hormones.

Do you know why it wouldn't work? Just curious because I couldn't find any articles about it online. All I saw was videos of people doing it and growing trees but they never reported back about fruit production.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:44:24 PM »

Do you know why it wouldn't work? Just curious because I couldn't find any articles about it online. All I saw was videos of people doing it and growing trees but they never reported back about fruit production.

I think the difference is, you don't get a tap root, maybe not a problem if you want to keep the tree in a pot, or are using drip irrigation,  I also watched those videos, I wan't to try it, specially using of Aloe vera, and/or cinnamon as rooting hormone.

Mango can be marcotted  as well, even tissue culture, marcotting is something I would also like to play around with.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:55:56 AM »
I haven't tried cuttings, and haven't had luck with air layering, but this study suggests that own-rooted air layers (and by extension, cuttings) would be equivalent to grafted trees (minus the extra anchoring ability of a taproot): https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/journals/hortsci/54/7/article-p1175.xml

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 01:31:31 PM »
I’m not an expert on mangoes but I would say, in general, that it’s a myth that you always need a taproot.  Sometimes we purposely cut the tap root to encourage more lateral root production for more efficient feeding.  Perhaps this concept would not be the best for every location but many kinds of fruit trees are grown from layers very successfully.
Peter

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
I’m not an expert on mangoes but I would say, in general, that it’s a myth that you always need a taproot.  Sometimes we purposely cut the tap root to encourage more lateral root production for more efficient feeding.  Perhaps this concept would not be the best for every location but many kinds of fruit trees are grown from layers very successfully.
Peter
I have planted quite a few grafted mango trees and many didn't seem to have a discernable tap root. I do know of a Vietnamese mango grower here in SWFL on Pine Island who has hundreds of air layered mango trees which have been bearing well for years. Lychee air layers grow outstanding roots and I would expect mango to do as well or better. Since I ws unable to source 20 grafted Lemon Meringue trees I consulted with my friend and have 50 layers working two months so far, we will see in one more month.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
I have done mango airlayer.
I planted a seed next to it a year later with plans of doing an approach graft to give it a second root system with a tap root.
I ended up not doing the approach and the seedling is now as tall as and with a stem as thick as the airlayered plant.  The canopy on the airlayerd much bigger though.  ....and it did it all on its own roots.

I am sure that the tree would have done better had I provided it a second root system.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:46:26 PM by Orkine »

Jamesther

• Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 11:14:24 PM »
Experimental air-layered mango

https://youtu.be/ajZhug1cmOA