Author Topic: Monstera vs philodendron id  (Read 795 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Monstera vs philodendron id
« on: May 08, 2021, 01:12:48 AM »
I found a local seller offering these , I have been searching for monstera deliciosa and know that monstera and philodendron are really mixed up . If someone could id those for me since I dont want to be baying the not edible variety. Thanks for your help!!

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Monstera vs philodendron id
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »
Those are definitely monstera. If you want a definite id as Deliciosa, you can look at the geniculum of a mature leaf. It should have a ruffled ridge on both sides. 
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 07:38:11 AM »
Those are definitely monstera. If you want a definite id as Deliciosa, you can look at the geniculum of a mature leaf. It should have a ruffled ridge on both sides.
thanks, I am not focused directly on deliciosa thought, I just want the plant to be from the fruiting kind, sounds like there are other edible monsteras, not only deliciosa ??
Sorry for the stupid questions, so the plants pictured are the fruiting kind, no matter if deliciosa ??
Thanks !!

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 01:24:54 AM »

Monstera has fenestrations, those holes in the leaf

M. Deliciosa has the only known edible fruit

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
thanks, I am not focused directly on deliciosa thought, I just want the plant to be from the fruiting kind, sounds like there are other edible monsteras, not only deliciosa ??
Sorry for the stupid questions, so the plants pictured are the fruiting kind, no matter if deliciosa ??
Thanks !!
There are several varieties of monstera but you want the deliciosa for fruit. It is the most common and produces the fruit. I expect the variegated deliciosa will make fruit equal to the green type but am not sure. I have planted hundreds because they are easy to propagate and do well under fruit trees offering a chance for fruit in a space that few fruits can grow. It may take several years especially in your climate to get a plant up to fruiting size. For me, most take 2-3 years. It seems that they have an adolescent period where leaves have no holes, then they develop holes, then increase in size. The stem diameter of a mature plant will get about 5 cm when well grown and leaves will be 60 cm or larger. Some plants will flower 3-4 at once and it takes a year or so  for fruit to ripen.
You can propagate from tip or stem cuttings with at least 2 leaf nodes. Lay stem cuttings on their sides half buried in potting soil.

The other forms are ornamental types and you will pay more for them as they are collector items.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the information from all of you, I ordered the plant and will take it tomorrow ,will post pics in person . Hope it ends up as deliciosa ....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
The plant that was sent to me is still very small, it only has two leaves ,none of which has the perforations. Thought at the base of the petiole, where the leaf connects to the petiole , both leave s have a slight wavy ridge , its barely detectable but its there.
I also read that deliciosa is a common house plant sold in the northern countries, so I am hopeful it ends up as deliciosa.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
That sounds correct for deliciosa the plant is in adolescent stage whn leaves get ~30 cm will become perforated.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
That sounds correct for deliciosa the plant is in adolescent stage whn leaves get ~30 cm will become perforated.
thanks !!