Author Topic: Lychee pruner/fruit picker recommendation  (Read 2084 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Lychee pruner/fruit picker recommendation
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:18:39 PM »
My large lychee tree is fruiting for the first time.  What pruner/fruit picker do you recommend?

Some examples I found online:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-54-in-EZ-Reach-Stik-Tree-Pruner-92347935/100041609#overlay
https://garrettwade.com/product/arborist-long-reach-cutter-trimmer

I've also seen one with a small handle be used at local farms but couldn't find one online.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee pruner/fruit picker recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:46 PM »
This one catches the fruit too.
https://garrettwade.com/product/telescopic-fruit-picker

There are some which telescope plus can grip the stem and cut above the fruit so it doesn't fall..we had a thread on here last year about tools if you search for it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 06:41:42 AM »
This one grabs the branch/stem of the fruit and you can lower it down without fruits falling to ground.
I use this for my citrus fruits and loquat fruits. It's easier to use than the one with catch bag since I can get it between branches to get to fruits. I have both types.

https://hidatool.com/item/1825

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:26:18 AM »
This one grabs the branch/stem of the fruit and you can lower it down without fruits falling to ground.
I use this for my citrus fruits and loquat fruits. It's easier to use than the one with catch bag since I can get it between branches to get to fruits. I have both types.

https://hidatool.com/item/1825

I got something similar for fruit picking (tried it on Starapple and Mangos so far)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL4LVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it better than the basket, doesn't get as stuck.
I imagine it might be had to find the stems to clip.

Need a bigger one

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
Skhan, I also have that one you show by Corona, it works good for short height (4ft).

But if you need the longer one then the link I showed is for the longer (6-10ft) telescoping fruit pruner/picker and it has the same design of holding the cut branch.

There's another company that sells a similar one as the Hida brand but it doesn't last as long. I purchased that one first, it uses an internal metal linkeage to the cutters and it will break after a few years (can't repair it). Here's the link to Wildflower Seeds & Tools company

https://wildflower-seed.com/products/cut-hold-telescopic-pruners-with-pivot-head

This works good, but it will break internally (metal linkage) so it will not last more than 2-3yrs of continuous use. Now I use the Hida picker with clamp holder mentioned above.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »

>>SNIP<<

Need a bigger one

A common lament... :-)

Seriously, I have one very similar to that, and even on a 6' ladder it's too short.  I ordered this one yesterday and I'm hoping it solved my long reach issue for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373477467165

PS, I ate the first sweetheart today, they're still a bit tart but very juicy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:01:37 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »
This one catches the fruit too.

There are some which telescope plus can grip the stem and cut above the fruit so it doesn't fall..we had a thread on here last year about tools if you search for it.

With this one could the bag be removed and use it for pruning as well?  It makes sense to buy one that can be used for both pruning and picking the fruit.  Thanks so much everyone.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
gnappi,

The ones I show in the link are similar length as yours (6-10ft). Let us know what you think of your purchase once you use it to pick your lychee fruits.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »
@sc4001992

Thanks for the tip. I might have to add this to my collection...one day

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 04:18:16 PM »
Julie, the one with the catch bag isn't useful for pruning branches. I think the cutters are at an angle such that it makes it easier for the fruit to fall into the bag. I have a long one like that for avocados, never used it and I ended up just using the pole for other purpose. For something like a larger fruit (avocado or citrus) the fruit picker with the bag will work. The one Brad suggested is a good one, no cutters to play with, just has a V-sharp knife where your cutters are so you can just push the fruit (again larger fruit like avocado, won't work for lychee) when it is inside the bag and the razor blade knife cuts off the stem.

For lychee, the picker/with bag might make it difficult to see if you have the fruit inside or not since they are in cluster, if you get one let me know how it works. I always use the ones I suggested above for my lychee and citrus and loquats. These branch/fruit pickers can be used for cutting/prunning since the red plastic piece which clamps down on the branch can be removed, then it is just a prunner but only for small size branches (less than 1/2").
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:07:05 AM by sc4001992 »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 09:38:50 AM »
Julie, the one with the catch bag isn't useful for pruning branches. I think the cutters are at an any such that it makes it easier for the fruit to fall into the bag. I have a long one like that for avocados, never used it and I ended up just using the pole for other purpose. For something like a larger fruit (avocado or citrus) the fruit picker with the bag will work. The one Brad suggested is a good one, no cutters to play with, just has a V-sharp knife where your cutters are so you can just push the fruit (again larger fruit like avocado, won't work for lychee) when it is inside the bag and the razor blade knife cuts off the stem.

For lychee, the picker/with bag might make it difficult to see if you have the fruit inside or not since they are in cluster, if you get one let me know how it works. I always use the ones I suggested above for my lychee and citrus and loquats. These branch/fruit pickers can be used for cutting/prunning since the red plastic piece which clamps down on the branch can be removed, then it is just a prunner but only for small size branches (less than 1/2").

I ordered the Hida tool one you recommended.  Hopefully this works well for me! Thank you!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
I like it, so far it hasn't broken and it gets good use from me for picking all my loquats, lychees, pomelos and avocados. I've been using it for 2 yrs and it still works so good news. My first one from Wildflower Seed & Tool lasted 4yrs before it fell apart, tried to repair it but not a good design so I trashed it.

Just remember that when you use these style prune & hold tool you need to squeeze the handle to cut it, then you must not release pressure or the fruit will fall off. You keeping the handle squeezed the entire time after the fruit is cut keeps it in the "hold mode", until you lower the fruit to the ground(container) softly, then release the handle. I use a cardboard box or basket to lower my fruits into.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
Beautiful harvest! Are you able to use the saw end for coconuts? Hopefully my tool gets here in time for me to pick lychee with!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 12:27:06 AM »
gnappi,

The ones I show in the link are similar length as yours (6-10ft). Let us know what you think of your purchase once you use it to pick your lychee fruits.

I did a review on Ebay for it, here it is:

The best I've had yet (OK of only two) :-)

The 10' extendability is REALLY handy for those tall trees with fruit on top! Add a 6'-8' ladder and you'll be denuding your trees of fruit and pesky branches you've wanted to prune in no time.

Cut and hold on to the cut branch, or let it drop, your choice. One niggle... with the pole at its full extension you'll need a LOT of space to swing the pole in an arc to drop your fruit safely to the ground, but for trimming branches without fruit, I hold them just long enough to find an open spot for the limb to drop.

It's cutters are very sharp, and cutting limbs to just under 1/4" in thickness is easy, anything over that is a chore.

The LED flashlight for tree trimming and fruit collecting at night is worthless. Any cheap 18650 CREE headlamp will illuminate the canopy far better without shadows from the aluminum pole.

This one is well worth the price, I'm very happy I stumbled onto it.

Quote off.

Regards,

Gary

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »

I ordered one and used it for picking custard apples,It worked very well even when dead ripe,I don't use the handle on the pole just grip the pole.You could use for mangos.The bag may not hold up,but could replace with mesh bag like a diving bag like this one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Promar-Nylon-Clam-Harvesting-Collection-Bag-Black/763496161?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222370055633&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=74698206708653&wl4=pla-4578297741820303&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=763496161_0&wl14=diving%20clam%20bag&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 12:09:33 PM »
shot, ok, I had to buy the one you got as well. Then I can evaluate all the different types on the market. I like your idea of replacing the bag when it gets old with diving mesh bag. It should make it easier to see if the fruit fell in the bag after cutting it. I noticed with this type of picker its hard to see if the stem of the fruit was cut since the white bag is not see-thru and sometimes you can't tell if you cut the stem up 10ft high(old people disease).

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
Sc4001992, can you also recommend tools for pruning trees? Embarrassingly I’ve never pruned my trees once and have no idea how to get started. For example I’ve never even cut off an old panicle or dead branch. What do you recommend?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
After looking at the Garrette Wade website, they seem to have all the tools you can use. I like to use the hand pruners when I prune the trees that I can easily reach or if using my 6ft ladder. For any branches that are way above 6 ft, I just use the telescopic pruners you can buy at any store such as Home Depot, Lowe's (these are inexpensive, all work well).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-PowerLever-1-1-8-in-Cut-Capacity-Steel-Saw-Blade-15-in-Fiberglass-Pole-14-ft-Tree-Pruner-393981-1002/300412758#overlay

This long telescopic pruner has the cutters which is activated by a rope, and also a saw blade attachment. It has a strong fiberglass pole that is strong and can cut up to 1" diameter branches without bowing. I use this one for cutting my big loquat trees that have large branches and may get taller than 20ft. Much easier to use this than to try and get on a ladder which is not a good idea (I had a bad fall). I also have a much sturdier/stronger telescoping 20ft aluminum pole with only a saw which is heavy duty and cost a lot more for larger branches.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:22:19 AM by sc4001992 »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »
fruit picker recommendation:::   

A Cheap way to pick fruit high in trees without spending money for many of us on the forum...

Items needed?   ::: What many of us already have around the home:::
1.Old junk car frame canopy from one of those $100 canopy sets that got destroyed in the wind over a 3 yr max. period. Cheaper and thinner is better and lighter as galvanized is too heavy for a long pole for most to lift many times.
2. Old fish net with broken handle/and or net. Or remove top hoop holding net or place bag or new net around hoop going to handle of fish net...

3. With net removed from handle you have a open ring with ends bent to enter a pole and you simple compress and insert these ends a few inches into your cheap light weight canopy poles. Stick more canopy poles in other end to make it as long as you desire... Tie/tape/secure with drill and screw/ etc. the net to the first piece of pole to keep it from falling off as you catch the fruit in the bag or net that you make in the ring (use zip ties etc. to quickly support bags/cloth/nets/ etc. to metal ring). Do not secure all the long pieces together as this gives you the option to quickly extend it with more poles.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 03:24:28 PM by palmcity »

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »

OMG. no joke about this. One of my co-workers just got out of the hospital two weeks ago after spending a few days - the branch also swung down hitting the ladder. Luckily, the saw fell the other way but he fell on top of the ladder, his back/spine taking the impact. He is recovering slowly but just a little more force or mm over, it would have been surgery to fuse vertebrae or much worse. Using quality safer tools is worth every penny.

... I learned my lesson when I tried to cut my large loquat trunk at 8 ft (4" diameter) using a chain saw on my 8ft ladder and got knocked off the ladder when the cut branch swing into me (no major injury, luckily).

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 07:20:15 PM »
Get an orchard tripod ladder they are very stable and safe for working large trees. Very wide spaced two legs and a tripod is the most stable form. Well worth the $3-400 compared to an injury.