Author Topic: Ring girdle for fruit tree  (Read 1186 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Ring girdle for fruit tree
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:23:48 AM »
Hi all,

Do anyone have used the product or similar before?  I am planning to buy one and use it on my tree branches.  Please share your experience.

Thanks,
Al

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Ring girdle for fruit tree
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:53:58 AM »
I have not used that device but girdling via air layering has definitely caused my Longan to fruit earlier and hold more fruit.

I used paperclips to to girdle my Jaboticabas and it caused it them to fruit earlier. There’s a lot of scientific papers out there that shows this technique ( girdling) works. If done improperly, you can kill the branch of the tree.

Simon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »
I do this with my saw or knife to promote lower branching on my mango trees (instead of topping)
The size of the bark you remove changes depending on the diameter of the branch (for my purposes)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »
It seems to work. I started to do more air layers on my lychee tree and didn't complete it. So I just left my branches (many) cut 2"-3" wide with no bark for the air layer process and never covered it up so it's just open to air. These branches have flowers and small fruits starting now. It's been over 3 months so I should start my air layers after the fruits are done.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »
Bought one off Ebay from China for a few bucks; took a few weeks to get here, but I gave it a try last week on a mango tree. It's very crude, basically a bent blade (poorly) soldered onto the shaft. Works fine on green or thinner bark, but it's difficult to use on thicker/more mature branches. Blade kept getting clogged with bark and it wasn't going deep enough. I don't think it can handle much force. I gave up and went to using my curved grafting knife, much easier.

It's useful, just don't expect too much from it.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 10:04:20 AM »
Thanks everyone.  My seedling pamelo flowered a lot but only hold 9 fruits so far.  I want to try this method for next year and see I will get more fruits.  I will try it by girdle the branch rather than the main trunk.  In case it failed, I only lost a branch than a tree.

Thanks,
Al

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
I made one out of old metal strapping material works good I'll take pic later today. Have used on a 'Big Jim' loquat tree I bought at a CRFG conference many years ago away planted it and it never wanted to fruit after getting up to good size so, I girdled it one year and nothing happened so next year I girdled again and then it started fruiting for me.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »
I’ve been eyeing this tool but no trees to play with.

https://www.sfequip.com/recent-news/grape-vine-cane-girdling/

Watch the video.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 04:19:17 PM »
Here is the tool I made;

Hard to see but I made one end bigger profile and other end smaller profile so, I can make to different size girdle.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:30 AM »
A friend made something up like this, but with the blades spaced farther apart at the appropriate distance for air layer cuts. After scoring the bark, he peels it and continues the layering process. He does many layers so the tool is a time saver.

https://postimg.cc/kD0KDz6N

Available in US:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repair-scissorsgarden-fruit-tree-ring-cut-scissors-shears-branches-knife-bark-stripper/812823620
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:23:53 AM by pineislander »

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
Does girdling decrease lifespan?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »
Does girdling decrease lifespan?

Funny  guestions... lol... So I will respond with the usual unusual unscientific guesses...

What must the tree have? roots (heavy reserves for potential reestablishing top etc), leaves, transport between. If you girdle just right (wrong) at the separation between root and trunk, you will have better odds of decreasing lifespan.. Good luck on the experiments... lol  :)

P.S. don't try this on human necks etc. etc. etc....

Back to Just Answer the Question::: Should be no decrease in lifespan if the girdle was high up on a well established (good root reserves) tree that is not diseased/injured/and is in a growth phase/time of year that it can readily heal the girdling... Exceptions always exist and killing the top of some plants will result in death but not the norm... Also secondary infections are possible at the girdle site but not too common either on a well established tree. Any disease/infection could decrease the trees lifespan and easier entry is with the bark cut as in girdling but once again, this usually rapidly heals if not a dormant/small/already diseased tree etc. etc. etc. .... Old retired & bored... lol...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
A good ole rope tightly tied around a branch has worked wonders for me.

If the tree is damaged and becomes diseased, girdling could indeed shorten lifespan.