Author Topic: Worried about flooding  (Read 478 times)

MostGrowersFarm

• Bokeelia, Florida, USA (Zone 10a)
    • View Profile
Worried about flooding
« on: May 13, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I have an acre to plant on - 1/2 is all mango trees and the other 1/2 is a mix of things like banana, jakfruit, barbados cherry, and june plum. Last year, heavy rain caused the latter 1/2 to flood. This resulted in losing a couple avocado trees, dragonfruit, jamaican cherry, pomegranate, and one of the jakfruit trees. I guess there is not much I can do for the trees that are still alive. But for the future - will I be fine by planting trees on a mound? I wanted to plant avocados, lychees, soursop, and many more types of trees that hate having their feet wet. If I'll be fine by planting on a mound, does anyone have a good resource for me to know how big of a mound to make?

Thank you!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Worried about flooding
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
I sent you a PM. Give me a call we must get together as neighbors. I can show you some avocado mounds.

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Worried about flooding
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »
Hey guys,

I have an acre to plant on - 1/2 is all mango trees and the other 1/2 is a mix of things like banana, jakfruit, barbados cherry, and june plum. Last year, heavy rain caused the latter 1/2 to flood. This resulted in losing a couple avocado trees, dragonfruit, jamaican cherry, pomegranate, and one of the jakfruit trees. I guess there is not much I can do for the trees that are still alive. But for the future - will I be fine by planting trees on a mound? I wanted to plant avocados, lychees, soursop, and many more types of trees that hate having their feet wet. If I'll be fine by planting on a mound, does anyone have a good resource for me to know how big of a mound to make?

I was going to write a thread for the same topic. My land gets super wet in the rain/flood season and live on the lower land so it tends to stay damp for a while. Any info on mounds would be great
Thank you!