Author Topic: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan  (Read 35358 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
This size is what i'm after but i guess it was much bigger and pruned back. This is a perfect sized tree for my city garden.

I read somewhere that pedalai can fruit in a pot in 3 years or so, i will try that since i sure don't want a huge tree.

If mine won't fruit i can always plant them in a park or garden somewhere.

What comic book was that?  ::) Or was that in another one of your fairy tale books?  :o

If memory serves me well it was on an american website, you know from those guys who claim to know it all but even don't know what coconutcream is.

https://www.skyfieldtropical.com/encyclopedia/pedalai/

But this was not the website, let me see if i can find it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
Is that from personal experience? NO. They're in Florida. I think only one person in all of Florida history perhaps fruited pedalai, and that was Adolf Grimal in the Keys many decades ago. So where do they get this fruits from seed in 3-4 years?  :o  In most of Florida it will never fruit at all.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:19 PM »
Is that from personal experience? NO. They're in Florida. I think only one person in all of Florida history perhaps fruited pedalai, and that was Adolf Grimal in the Keys many decades ago. So where do they get this fruits from seed in 3-4 years?  :o  In most of Florida it will never fruit at all.

You ask me? I only know marlborough cigarettes but this is their address: 19 Windmill Drive, Marlborough, MA 01752

But of course only one of the old guys who wrote a book on dead tree can claim something like that. It's impossible that another person somewhere on the world had a pedalai fruit in 3-4 years and maybe even in a container.

It really beats me how some selfclaimed "experts" can be so stubborn to think to know it all. Just wait untill the Asians/Africans/South Americans start writing english on the web on forums like this. Then you'll have to eat your words many times.

Mike just showed that it is possible to have a small keledang fruiting, why this tree wouldn't grow in a container in my yard? And how do you know what size of container i plan to use? We have huge ones here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:39 PM »
You should learn art of bonsai. Then, like i said previously, you can even grow giant Sequoia trees in a bonsai pot.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
You should learn art of bonsai. Then, like i said previously, you can even grow giant Sequoia trees in a bonsai pot.

I have a very nice tigerbark ficus bonsai, growing on top of a japanese lantern.

But with bonsai it's the same, i read many websites and ended up with Al's gritty mix as being the best (according to americans). So i searched all over Bangkok to find the ingredients and made that mix.

Then i was in a Thai bonsai shop and saw them growing great bonsaitree's in normal soil, nothing gritty or pinebark or whatever and they are fine.

I also studied many japanese bonsai websites and yes they are the real masters but it takes decades to build tree's like they do.

One hour ago i saw a big fruiting mayongchid for sale, it was in a 75 litre (20 gallon) bag and about 4 metres (15 feet) tall and a wide tree. Don't ask me how they did it but it wasn't even in a pot but a ricebag. It was full of full sized fruit.

Yes growing tree's in small pots is called bonsai-technique and it works. I have loads of them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:09 AM »
You should be able to get mayong chid like that to fruit for you in a pot in 18 months or less.  ::)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »
You should be able to get mayong chid like that to fruit for you in a pot in 18 months or less.  ::)

And you should be able to loose some of your arrogant prejudices. You ain't seen nothing yet amigo but you act like you're the authority about growing tropical fruit. First show us some decent sized fruit before you blow from the tower like you used to.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
I guess you've somehow managed to overlook the hundreds of photos i've already posted?? How many photos have you posted of your excellent backyard collection, or of your mangosteens that fruit in 2 years or less?  ::) ::) ::)  Seems like almost yesterday when you posted about not knowing how to even up open a mangosteen fruit. Do you really live in Bangkok or do you post all this verbiage from Holland?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2015, 01:47:34 AM »
Oscar I think all keledang and pedalai can be big trees but some can just get giant.The trees in the pix are kept smaller by pruning and growing in full sun.I suspect that some pedalai and keledang are so vigorous they can't easily be kept small.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »

That's my pedalai, that I'm growing in florida. That said I know it's a very long shot, I'm building a green house around it for next year. Also that tree is 4-5 years old, and growing in the ground. I don't except fruit anyyyyyyyy time soon if ever.

Oscar, Adolf Grimal had a huge pedalai, but according to. Chris Rollins the tree never fruited possibly due to low humidity and was eventually killed by a hurricane
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »

Here the farmer is sampling fruit from the same keledang tree pictured below.The crop has nearly finished but not my efforts to secure more seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »

That's my pedalai, that I'm growing in florida. That said I know it's a very long shot, I'm building a green house around it for next year. Also that tree is 4-5 years old, and growing in the ground. I don't except fruit anyyyyyyyy time soon if ever.

Oscar, Adolf Grimal had a huge pedalai, but according to. Chris Rollins the tree never fruited possibly due to low humidity and was eventually killed by a hurricane

David, i had seen photos of Grimal's huge pedalai tree. I just assumed it might have fruited from its very large size. Thanks for correcting that. So then so far nobody has fruited pedalai in Florida? I hope you can be the first!
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »
According to Chris Rollins no one has. To my knowledge there are only 3 pedalai trees in Sfl that are planted in the ground one at Fairchild, one at F&S and mine. I put up 22 foot poles around the tree and I'm building a retractable green house around it.

I'm using cables and heavy clear plastic to build a retractable curtains that's I can pin down and seal in the winter. I'm doing it for my pedalai and for an elasticus tree I have.

Thanks Oscar. I think I'm gonna try to do this with a couple more artocarpus sp.
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
According to Chris Rollins no one has. To my knowledge there are only 3 pedalai trees in Sfl that are planted in the ground one at Fairchild, one at F&S and mine. I put up 22 foot poles around the tree and I'm building a retractable green house around it.

I'm using cables and heavy clear plastic to build a retractable curtains that's I can pin down and seal in the winter. I'm doing it for my pedalai and for an elasticus tree I have.

Thanks Oscar. I think I'm gonna try to do this with a couple more artocarpus sp.

I've got an elasticus tree in the ground. The thing is bloody huge, probably around 40 feet tall and has yet to fruit. I think that has been fastest growing tree in my orchard.
You should really keep them topped and well pruned as otherwise you will never be able to protect them from cold spells.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:44 AM »

Here the farmer is sampling fruit from the same keledang tree pictured below.The crop has nearly finished but not my efforts to secure more seeds.

Mike do you know at what age he started pruning the keledang tree? And did he give it any fertilizers? Or what age did it start fruiting?

This size (or a little taller) is what i'm after for my artocarpus. I count 8 fruits which is good enough for a tree this size. I guess it even can grow on a balcony in a decent sized pot. Can pedalai also fruit at this size? I still didn't dare to prune mine but they grow fast.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:37 AM »
They get pruned early to prevent pole like uprights and force more lateral branches . I would only be guessing but 5 years after planting out should be the start of fruiting and that tree is more than 10 years maybe a few more than 10.These are the last fruit on there and it must have had a few 3 times as many that have finished.
Growing in pots is not easy for big species.If this specimen was chopped back,dug up and stuck in a giant pot it would be easier than growing in a pot from the start.To be honest I would need to defer to the expertise of seasoned potters. Or is that potheads?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
They get pruned early to prevent pole like uprights and force more lateral branches . I would only be guessing but 5 years after planting out should be the start of fruiting and that tree is more than 10 years maybe a few more than 10.These are the last fruit on there and it must have had a few 3 times as many that have finished.
Growing in pots is not easy for big species.If this specimen was chopped back,dug up and stuck in a giant pot it would be easier than growing in a pot from the start.To be honest I would need to defer to the expertise of seasoned potters. Or is that potheads?

Allright then i'm going to prune my biggest pedalai today and if it works the pingan next week. It made some new branches a while ago but they disappeared. If growing in a pot doesn't make them fruit i can always put them in full soil but i fear the big roots. We have giant pots here as you probably know. I also plan to plant some in the park next to the lake but i have to ask permission first.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »

I've got an elasticus tree in the ground. The thing is bloody huge, probably around 40 feet tall and has yet to fruit. I think that has been fastest growing tree in my orchard.
You should really keep them topped and well pruned as otherwise you will never be able to protect them from cold spells.

Ya Oscar, I'm gonna start pruning it this year it want to make them like Grimals tree, short and bushy. But I have 22 ft to play with and I can always make the roof taller
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »

I think your guess is way off the mark. Not saying that there can't be some very unsual precocious trees that fruit in 5 years, just like there are some very precocious girls that have a baby when they are 12 years old. But i don't think that is the average wait time.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
Oscar I just dont know how long fruiting would take if you planted out say a 2 year old seedling.I guess I am thinking of other Artocarpus and taking a punt at the earliest fruiting.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »

I think your guess is way off the mark. Not saying that there can't be some very unsual precocious trees that fruit in 5 years, just like there are some very precocious girls that have a baby when they are 12 years old. But i don't think that is the average wait time.

And there he is again, mister knowitall who even starts slandering if he has never seen it on his mountain. You ain't seen nothing yet!  When will you learn how to use Google? You owe us apologises for all the wrong info you gave here.

5. Fruit Keledang
Keledang fruit including fruit rare earth Borneo. The exact shape jackfruit.Demikianpun meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit from forgotten along with the exhaustion of natural forests. The tree can reach 30 feet tall and wide and slightly hairy leaves. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting.Growing up in different types of soil and is generally tropical jungle filled with humus.

http://wildadventure-centralborneoisland.blogspot.com/2013/02/25-rare-fruit-of-borneo.html

Fruit Keledang including rare earth fruit of Borneo. The shape is exactly the jackfruit. Likewise meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit that starts forgotten along with endless natural forests. The tree can reach 30 meters tall and broad-leaved and slightly hairy. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting
http://megalaxi.mywapblog.com/category/on-the-spot-1/1.xhtml
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:15:01 PM by bangkok »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:12 PM »
In my experience with growing fruit trees I gotta side with Oscar. Ive grown quite a few seedlings of different species and grown them under great conditions.

Rarely does a seedling tree fruit quickly, even ones that are predicted to fruit in 5 years.

Bangkok you can be optimistic, but I think Oscar is right, if you really want to get it to fruit that quickly, graft the trees, it might even have a dwarfing affect.
- David Antonio Garcia

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2015, 10:29:58 PM »
 keledang look very good, that guy must have a nice farm, and if he pruned it back i wonder if he had others that he let go? if not , why would he prune it when you can see in the background much larger trees? i would wish to tour that farm someday

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2015, 01:10:35 AM »

And there he is again, mister knowitall who even starts slandering if he has never seen it on his mountain. You ain't seen nothing yet!  When will you learn how to use Google? You owe us apologises for all the wrong info you gave here.

5. Fruit Keledang
Keledang fruit including fruit rare earth Borneo. The exact shape jackfruit.Demikianpun meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit from forgotten along with the exhaustion of natural forests. The tree can reach 30 feet tall and wide and slightly hairy leaves. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting.Growing up in different types of soil and is generally tropical jungle filled with humus.

http://wildadventure-centralborneoisland.blogspot.com/2013/02/25-rare-fruit-of-borneo.html

Fruit Keledang including rare earth fruit of Borneo. The shape is exactly the jackfruit. Likewise meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit that starts forgotten along with endless natural forests. The tree can reach 30 meters tall and broad-leaved and slightly hairy. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting

Dorgon lover, sorry to tell you this. But i have already more experience than you will ever have, even if you continue growing bonsai pots in your Bangkok condodiminium until you are 85 years old. I think it is you who should apologize to everyone for blowing so much loads of hot air, pretending you know about things you know absolutely nothing about, and even more so for moronic things like recommending scammers like Dorgon on this forum. I guess you like it when Dorgon burns people on this forum? :o
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2015, 02:58:06 AM »

5. Fruit Keledang

Dorgon lover, sorry to tell you this. But i have already more experience than you will ever have, even if you continue growing bonsai pots in your Bangkok condodiminium until you are 85 years old. I think it is you who should apologize to everyone for blowing so much loads of hot air, pretending you know about things you know absolutely nothing about, and even more so for moronic things like recommending scammers like Dorgon on this forum. I guess you like it when Dorgon burns people on this forum? :o

Yup, we all know how arrogant you are.

Pohon keledang dapat berbuah sejak 5 tahun  setelah tanam

http://www.vivaborneo.com/buah-keledang-yang-terlupakan.htm

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=buah+keledang+5+tahun
Here look how many websites tell the same but of course the slandering seedman from Hawaii knows it better.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:03:23 AM by bangkok »