Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 77449 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
This is the wildest thing I've seen lately in my mango tree. 
Squirrels, rats, blue jays are not a problem. . .

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
Game camera capturing a racoon climbing my Kent mango tree.

Michael

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
My dog kept eyeballing the top of one of the bushes this morning, after looking around I spotted this little guy. The dog must have run off momma when I let him out this morning.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
Amazing how close these owls will let you get. It's hard to believe it will be alive in a year if it trusts this low perch to sleep in the daylight. The owl is only about 5 foot from the ground in a dense carrie tree.
With flash & eyes opened a little. But head was turning so it was awake.

Without flash

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
My biggest pests (literally) are the wild boars. The biggest one is as big as a sofa. Messing up my meadows literally every night so invasive weeds can replace the native herbs. Have to surround every young fruit tree not only with mesh against the deer but to fix the mesh30 cm into the ground against the pigs.
Apart from that green woodpeckers, crows and ravens, lizzards and snakes, foxes, badgers, weasels and ferrets, lots of small birds and bees, tons of stag beetles, some great capricorn beetles, different falcons and buzzards and even a breeding pair of giant eagle owls.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
Fig trees create an electro-badgernetic field around
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:50:19 PM by pvaldes »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »
I keep bees in my orchard and even thogh they live in these beehives ,they are wild and they can go to live on theyr own if they dont like it here.Sometimes ,especially after i drink a few beers and watching them go to otther peoples lands to take the pollen and nectar from their fields ,i consider myself to be a soird of an despotic ruler with an army of thiefs  :). I also have a big ,half a meter tall ,nest of european fire ants that i always protect when im digging the land because theyre beneficial.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:02:33 PM by SeaWalnut »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
Giant Cuban Knight Anole

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2021, 04:14:58 AM »

Lorikeets are probably the biggest destroyers of rambutan crops in Australia with Sulphur Crested cockatoos not far behind. There were flocks stuffing themselves on  friends rambutans about an hour ago and this one just laughed at me when I tried to shoo it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2021, 03:18:30 AM »
Beautiful looking pests!
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2021, 11:10:56 AM »
When I trim my mango trees I often find deserted birds nests. The new birds have hatched and they are all off to other places. A few years ago I was getting dive bombed by them when I got too close to nests I could not see. Bird watching is great idea but I am not that interested in it. But I do get excited when I see  a Red Cardinal, Blue Jay in my yard.
I see Ibis in my yard all the time. Pecking away at the grass for insects. Sadly, our local Ibis now imitate seagulls with their dumpster diving behind local restaurants.
I would love to see hummingbirds feeding here. Any tips for attracting them in South Florida?

Here is a geese that has infested our local parks and has pushed out the ubiquitous and dominant for decades Muscovy Ducks, hijacking their niche. Called Egyptian geese. I have been told they lay and hatch eggs three times per year. Looks to me like two times per year.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:15:41 AM by zands »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
Amazing how close these owls will let you get. It's hard to believe it will be alive in a year if it trusts this low perch to sleep in the daylight. The owl is only about 5 foot from the ground in a dense carrie tree.
With flash & eyes opened a little. But head was turning so it was awake.

Without flash

Me, too.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
Those are the little screech owls that sound like rattlesnakes and flying saucers at night; love em! Yes, they will sometimes let you walk right up on them. Very cool little raptors.

Found this critter hangin underneath a Ceci Love graft that is starting to take.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2021, 09:36:28 PM »
Those are the little screech owls that sound like rattlesnakes and flying saucers at night; love em! Yes, they will sometimes let you walk right up on them. Very cool little raptors.

Found this critter hangin underneath a Ceci Love graft that is starting to take.

We have small burrowing owls at the Tamarac (33321) athletic field. I always say hello to them. They come in m/f pairs. There are many more of their underground nests at the green space on Southgate along the canal. Go north on Pine Island/88th and take a left (West) on Southgate Blvd. This greenspace/ parkland will be on your right where the very wide canal is. Lots of parking spaces available.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:36:18 AM by zands »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2021, 11:24:54 AM »
I hear ya Zands, the burrowing owls are super cool. Have seen them a few times as well. Have yet to find any owl holes. They are very welcome here. Plenty for them to eat.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
pic taken from a FB posting

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2021, 06:16:46 AM »

Today I released a smallish python that was hoping to eat a duck in the shade of my orange tree -Duck a l'Orange. I had detained it for a few days.Today I nearly stepped on a goanna with anger issues in my shed. This lizards have real attitude and the last thing you need when looking for a hammer is a lizard threatening you.

Tonight a tattered female hercules moth flew in the kitchen from the garden as I left the back door open. I have never seen a moth flap around and cause havoc like this. It was a big one and I tried to pin the struggling insect on a 12 inch ruler to check its wing span and I reckon it was 1cm more than what the picture shows as it was struggling. It looked like a flying newspaper. This commotion happed 30 minutes ago.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
Thought the moth could have exceeded a foot but at around 11.5 inches for an insect is a respectable wing span.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »

A dove decide to build a nest and lay two eggs in a potted cherilata grafted onto soursop......she’s got good taste in trees lol

-joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2021, 09:31:47 PM »

flocks of these shining starlings come and get all my chilies. They are not the Einsteins of the avian world and this one hit a window and its covered in green ants.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 04, 2021, 06:23:40 AM »
Yes Mike I've had similar problems in Australia.
A thylacine came to visit my ghost chilies. And to make matters worse a dingo took my baby kiwi (A. arguta).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:03:34 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 04, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »
When I trim my mango trees I often find deserted birds nests. The new birds have hatched and they are all off to other places. A few years ago I was getting dive bombed by them when I got too close to nests I could not see. Bird watching is great idea but I am not that interested in it. But I do get excited when I see  a Red Cardinal, Blue Jay in my yard.
I see Ibis in my yard all the time. Pecking away at the grass for insects. Sadly, our local Ibis now imitate seagulls with their dumpster diving behind local restaurants.
I would love to see hummingbirds feeding here. Any tips for attracting them in South Florida?

Here is a geese that has infested our local parks and has pushed out the ubiquitous and dominant for decades Muscovy Ducks, hijacking their niche. Called Egyptian geese. I have been told they lay and hatch eggs three times per year. Looks to me like two times per year.

Personally, unless the Egyptian geese are causing other problems, I don't mind them pushing out the Muscovy ducks.  These ducks are also non-native, and the Egyptians are easier on the eyes.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2021, 02:01:27 PM »
Here are some native anoles breeding on my Fei banana.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:03:16 PM by Vernmented »
-Josh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2021, 10:25:39 PM »

Out at night scoping annona flowers and in the sugar apple tree a lizard and butterfly catching some zzzz’s with sugar apple flower in background.

-Joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2021, 04:08:51 AM »
I have Hummingbirds nest in my sapodilla and lime trees and they come back the following year to use the nest again.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:33:31 PM by sc4001992 »