Author Topic: Selling new rare jaboticabas, Annonas, Myrtaceae, delicious rainforest species!  (Read 172951 times)

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Can anyone of these grow in zone 7b-8a?

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas

Hi, 7b, dont think so, maybe feijoa (Acca sellowiana);

8a: similar... -12ºC to -9.4ºC maybe Guaviyú, Ubajay and Feijoa.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
I am preparing several packages these days, but since I was sick I will delay a little longer than normal, I think I will send by Wednesday.

• 10B Florida
    • View Profile
PM sent

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Some can be container grown and over wintered

I am going to start doing some research in bonsai trees because many mrtyle sp seem to be good candidates

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Some can be container grown and over wintered

I am going to start doing some research in bonsai trees because many mrtyle sp seem to be good candidates

Most of them are very good for pots.

By the way, an example of bulk order:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Adding new species!

* Uvita de campo (Salpichroa origanifolia) Perennial herb, rhizomatous, with weak, highly branched stems that lie on the ground or on other plants. The leaves are rounded. The flowers are small, campanulate, white, 1-1.5 cm and are born in the axils of the leaves. The fruit is a berry, ovoid, 2 cm long, which whitens when ripe; It has very nice vanilla/caramel smell and a sweet flavor (reminiscent of the grape, to which one of its vulgar names alludes). It is native to southern Brazil, northeastern Argentina, central Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay, It thrives in modified areas, fences and abandoned gardens. It can become a weed quite easily. It blooms in summer and fructifies in autumn.

5 seeds USD 8   
10 seeds USD 15   
20 seeds USD 28   
40 seeds USD 54   
80 seeds USD 100   
100 seeds USD 120

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
* Orange tamarillo (Solanum betaceum), The tamarillo is a small tree or shrub in the flowering plant family Solanaceae (the nightshade family).  It is also known as the tree tomato, tomate de árbol, tomate andino, chilto, etc. They are popular globally, especially in New Zealand, Australia, and America. Very nice for juices, salads and sauces. Frost resistance: -2ºC.

5 seeds USD 3   
10 seeds USD 5   
20 seeds USD 9   
40 seeds USD 17   
80 seeds USD 32   
100 seeds USD 38

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Today I sent 7 packages

Sow in a good moist soil and wait 20 to 90 days for them to sprout (64ºF to 86ºF, 18ºC to 30ºC), in the shade; no summer sun when small, good water if possible (rain, acid), or without chlorine; use acid soil with sphagnum moss or river peat with nice forest leaves or so, garden soil, something that drains well like perlite or vermiculite, some organic matter ... I would later add manure, not when I sow. Never let it dry.

For myrcianthes, araticú, biribá, jaboticabas, eugenias, campomanesias, psidium, etc. (rainforest species):
Be very careful with the direct sun in summer or when it is very hot, get accustomed to the shade and never lack water. They could take full sun when taller than 2 feet or 60cm or so, before that, use morning sun or half shade (not too hot from the afternoon heat). Psidium and Campomanesias would support more sun, but take care: if they dont like your soil and/or dont have enought watering, they will suffer with more sun.

Chañar is from dry to humid climate (It grows in grassland where it has no trees above it and can live isolated.), it can live with 700mm to 1500mm of anual rain. I dont have much experience sprouting them but I remember they can take 1 month or more. They can take more sun than the others. Some people say “most of fabaceae family plant seeds need soaking in warm water for 12-24 hours. The germinating time will be shorter with this method.”

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Seed package arrived today looking good!
John

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
i'm interested in the orange COTRG. However, how old are the seeds?  How's the viability of the discounted ones?  That's my only concern.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
i'm interested in the orange COTRG. However, how old are the seeds?  How's the viability of the discounted ones?  That's my only concern.

Hi, they are perfectly preserved on wet vermiculite at 4 to 6ºC, so they are viable for 6 more months ahead. That's the way the scientist here at Argentina (Facultad de Ciencias Forestales UNAM) use to preserve this kind of seeds.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
I sent 6 packages in the last week and will be sending more this week, if you want to add something, this is a good moment, thanks

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
New Psidium sp. for sale!

* Arazá banana-limón Very rare. Unknown origin, precocious fruit, begins to produce at 2 years old in pot, late production (end of autumn). Very good flavor, reminiscent of a mixture between banana, pear, lemon and guava, the skin is flavorful and crispy. Small seeds that do not bother the palate. It may be similar to the arazá-johvy, but we can not confirm that it is Psidium australe or another Psidium exactly. We think it could be Central American, but we can not affirm it either; the new shoots of leaves are brownish, which can mean that it resists frosts of between -3 to -6ºC. Limited stock.

5 seeds USD   8
10 seeds USD 15
20 seeds USD 28
40 seeds USD 54

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
New araticú seeds for sale!

Annona cf. sylvatica

* Araticú Native from Misiones, it can fruit in subtropical and temperate climates, frost hardy to -5º or -6ºC. Sweet pulp.

5   seeds USD 16
10 seeds USD 30
20 seeds USD 58
40 seeds USD 110