Author Topic: THAI DWARF MULBERRY PLANTS  (Read 12949 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: THAI DWARF MULBERRY PLANTS
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2021, 04:58:14 AM »
" I don't have a "World's Best"... but from the photos I've seen the leaves and fruit look very similar.
More than likely... pure speculation..."World's Best" is a marketing name for the same plant. "

Kevin, I have a few very small grafts of the World's Best and the large Thai Dwarf on the same tree (in ground). Now I received many more cuttings of World's Best that I grafted. So I should have a good comparision of these by the end of this year. I do agree when I look at the branches and fruits they look very similar. But I do notice the Thai Dwarf is almost turning red now while the World's Best fruit is still small and green. I guess these will be ripe in late April for me to taste.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »
I might need to get some cuttings of "Worlds Best" from you when you deem it convenient.
Thanks for your input!

Kevin

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »
Sure, no problem. Only growing the two for comparison, may keep the better tasting of the two.

But now, the weight of the fruits bent the branches so I can reach the fruits without a ladder, date: 3-28-21

Got 2 ripe fruits on my Thai Dwarf today, tastes good. Crunchy texture, reminds me of the blueberry crunch when you eat a just ripe one. Taste is good, not very sweet but some good flavor.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:41:58 PM by sc4001992 »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »
Had a guy here on the forum today interested in buying a large number of these wholesale from me.
I'm not really set-up for the wholesale business... so here was my advice to him...

"Honestly... your best bet would be either to source them locally at the size and price you need...
Or to buy a few plants from me and start propagating them yourself.

That's what I did!

These are amazing plants!
They set delicious fruit every time you cut them back.
They grow incredibly fast... and root easier than anything I have ever grown.... easily 90% plus strike root... a very high success rate!
They will grow from 1 ft to 6 ft in just a few months... you take cuttings and root them.... regrow your mother trees... and take cuttings again.
Sell most of them... Keep a few for yourself to add to your stock.
Repeat - Repeat - Repeat!
In your climate... you could easily do this 3- 4 times a year during the active growing season.

So there you are.. I've set you up in the Mulberry Nursery business... the next step is yours.

Good Luck!

Kevin"

My advice to everyone too!
Thanks.... Kevin

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2021, 08:38:02 PM »
Yup, I agree with your advise. I only bought my scions of the Thai Dwarf because I kept seeing your For Sale posts with all the fruits so I had to add it to my collection. Now the grafted branches have grown a lot in one year with tons of fruits. I will leave the Thai Dwarf plant sales to you, maybe will sell a few cuttings later with my other varieties that needs cutting every year. I just took a chain saw to my Black Pakistan trunks (6" trunk) on my big trees to cut them back to 8 ft since I can't really reach the fruits above that. Now I'm top grafting a lot of Silk Hope that I got from a friend on this forum. He tells me the Silk Hope tastes good, better than some of varieties I have for sale. Kevin, if you need a few cuttings by the end of the year, send me a PM.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 08:25:57 AM »
Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
Shipped out today... Thank you!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2021, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks again for your interest!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2021, 06:58:33 AM »
Ready to ship... just let me know.
Thanks!

Kevin

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2021, 03:00:41 PM »
Kevin, I tried the first fruit from the mulberry you sold me this year. It was delicious!!!

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
Glad to hear... you won't be disappointed!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »
Yes they are!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
Fruiting like crazy right now!

Kevin

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »
Yup, I agree with your advise. I only bought my scions of the Thai Dwarf because I kept seeing your For Sale posts with all the fruits so I had to add it to my collection. Now the grafted branches have grown a lot in one year with tons of fruits. I will leave the Thai Dwarf plant sales to you, maybe will sell a few cuttings later with my other varieties that needs cutting every year. I just took a chain saw to my Black Pakistan trunks (6" trunk) on my big trees to cut them back to 8 ft since I can't really reach the fruits above that. Now I'm top grafting a lot of Silk Hope that I got from a friend on this forum. He tells me the Silk Hope tastes good, better than some of varieties I have for sale. Kevin, if you need a few cuttings by the end of the year, send me a PM.

SC4001992 I read at lots of sites online regarding on pruning of pakistan mulberry trees.  They all suggest not to cut 3plus inches in diameter branches.  Wounds will not heal and the trees will bleed to death. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2021, 05:25:14 PM »
Not true, I cut back more than a few of my large mulberry trees (over 3" diameter) with no issues. My big one that I let grow to 18 ft tall is one that I just cut back to 10 ft four months ago, now I'm thinking of cutting it back to 6 ft tall. After I cut the large trunk with my chain saw to 10 ft, this tree is growing a lot more branches from lower on the tree. Has too many branches with leaves so I can't see the fruits on the tree since they are buried in the leaves. I usually let my large trees grow for a year or two, then when its too tall, just cut it back to 5 ft with no issues, they just send out new buds/branches again and start all over. Bad thing with these larger trees is that the roots still keep growing so don't plant any in ground closer than 10 ft from your house wall, otherwise smarter to just keep them in a 30 gallon pot and they will fruit a lot.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
I also have cut back my very tall growing 80ft Pakistani with 5 inch diameter trunk and branches without issue.
No bleeding... no death... just re-sprouted new more easily accessed branches.

Thai Dwarf on the other hand is much more compact in growth and very easy to maintain as a smaller fruit bearing bio machine! It takes to hard pruning like a champ and rewards you with a blitz of fruit with every cutting!

Kevin

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2021, 10:48:22 AM »
Yes, this Thai Dwarf is unusual for the amount of fruits it produces. I have been picking ripe fruit off of my grafted tree for over 2 wks, average  of 1-2 lbs of fruit daily. My record amount of fruits in a day was last weekend, 5.6 lbs. I still have only picked off half of the fruits (maybe less) on my tree, total so far of 25 lbs.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
Amazing!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »
Heading to CA... Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »
Yes.. shipping Monday... Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »
Once again... Yes.. shipping again on Monday... Thanks!

Kevin

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2021, 01:55:57 AM »
FYI, still can't believe that my grafted Thai Dwarf branches that started to fruit (ripe) in  3/28/21 still has tons of fruits. I have been picking more than 1 lbs of fruit each day from the 6 grafted branches. Today, 5/6, the tree still has at least half of the amount of fruits which are finally all ripening to dark black so it might be done in another week or so. That would be 5-6 weeks of continuous fruiting (1 lb picked every day) and today it looks like over 10 lbs of fruit are ripe and still hanging on the tree. I'm just not able to keep up with this tree. Maybe that's why someone made the name World's Best mulberry (which I'm pretty sure is the same as Thai Dwarf).

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »
I agree completely... awesome plants!

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2021, 10:42:54 PM »
Big push this weekend for Monday shipping... don't miss out!

kj

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
Shipping again tomorrow!

Kevin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk