Author Topic: Ichangquat and Ichang papeda  (Read 1650 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Ichangquat and Ichang papeda
« on: April 16, 2019, 01:23:00 AM »
My three Ichang papeda cuttings have all begun to show signs of leafing out. Here's one of them:

They are just small cuttings, but the cups are covered with plastic cling wrap to hold in the humidity, and the cups are inside a warm mylar lined grow tent enclosure in a warm room.

These are Ichangquat seedlings:

I have to say most of the Ichanquat seedlings are very vigorous growing, I think even more vigorous than Yuzu.
Now there are a few Ichangquat seedlings that are not as vigorous growing, and it certainly seems the Ichangquat seedlings show more variability than Yuzu seedlings.

The leaf characteristics on the Ichanquat seedlings also show variability. 2 of them looked semi-narrow, a little bit like kumquat, one of them looked narrow like kumquat, a few seem to have slight winged petioles like Yuzu, one of them with a slightly bigger winged petiole maybe more like pomelo, but the remaining six seedlings all seem to display rather ordinary leaf type. It's as if the two leaf characteristic traits of the original species parents cancelled each other out.

These seedlings are of course the second generation from the cross between Ichang papeda x kumquat.

(Much thanks to Ilya for the seeds)

I have been grow very many other types of seedlings and the only ones that are near as vigorous growing as Ichangquat are lemon and Oroblanco grapefruit.
(I've grown a few of each, so I think I have a large enough pool to make some statistical observations)

I have two US 852 (Changsha x trifoliate) and two TaiTri (Taiwanica x trifoliate) seedlings and they haven't seemed to do as well, only moderately vigorous growing and they've all displayed leaf yellowing.

Unfortunately I can't comment on Ichang papeda seedlings since I've never grown them. Vigor is a good sign for cold hardiness, I believe, although obviously not all vigorous citrus are cold hardy.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Ichangquat and Ichang papeda
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

Now there are a few Ichangquat seedlings that are not as vigorous growing, and it certainly seems the Ichangquat seedlings show more variability than Yuzu seedlings.

These seedlings are of course the second generation from the cross between Ichang papeda x kumquat.
They are of the third generation.
B.Voss got the seeds from initial hybrid made in Florida; selected and multiplied by grafting one very strong plant.
My tree is one of these grafts.
Its seeds are 100% zygotic and one third of them contains embryos with green cotyledons like its kumquat ancestor.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
They are of the third generation.
B.Voss got the seeds from initial hybrid made in Florida; selected and multiplied by grafting one very strong plant.
My tree is one of these grafts.
Thank you, Ilya, that's very interesting, I did not know that.

Its seeds are 100% zygotic and one third of them contains embryos with green cotyledons like its kumquat ancestor.
It seemed more like two thirds of my seedlings had cotyledons.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »
I mean  cotyledons of green color before the germination, not just cotyledons.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
One of the Ichangquats is really putting on a lot of growth