Author Topic: First safou harvest  (Read 5691 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: First safou harvest
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 06:26:35 AM »
Haven't tasted either safou or dabai, but have heard from others that they taste similar, and both are described as tasting similar to avocado. Yes you are right, they are both in same family Burseraceae.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
And they both are listed as being diocious. But we know there can be exceptions.
I have six trees all about the same development.  One flowered profusely and I saw one other tree briefly flower way in the top of the tree where it was hard to see the details of the flowers.  The production tree flowered over a long period and set fruit pretty well.  It’s my impression, at this point, that at least some fruits were produced without being pollinated from another tree.
I’m planning to make an airlayer of that tree and plant it on its own, see what happens.  I might get lucky.
Peter

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »
In looking at my "100 Tropical Fruits, Nuts and Spices for the Central African Home Garden", the authors say that the "trees are male-female dominant, meaning that some trees produce mostly male flowers and are low producers, while others produce mostly female flowers and are high producers".

I am taking this to mean that they are not strictly dioecious, which is good news for those of us who only have a few trees.

Cheers,
Carolyn

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
them are dioecious plant?

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
Haven't tasted either safou or dabai, but have heard from others that they taste similar, and both are described as tasting similar to avocado. Yes you are right, they are both in same family Burseraceae.

More on the taste of dabai. I found this video and the guys in the video describe dabai taste in detail. If you don't want to watch the entire video, rewind to 7 min 50 sec mark. Although, the video itself is pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIs-nmZwSHs

Zone Pusher

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »

Figured i’d Add this to the thread, bought some seeds off Oscar few months ago, got three to germinate the rest rotted and were eaten by very tiny mite/ant looking bugs. Here pictured are two plants which to me the leaves look somewhat different shapes one more rounded vs other larger teardrop.

Anyone with experience on lowest recorded temperatures these have tolerated? ...just bought a small greenhouse and getting prepared for this winter incase  I have to move these among others into the green house. Avg lows are low 40’s F.

-Joep450

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 02:03:36 AM »
Great fatty fruit that has a natural saltiness and it is similar in a way to Dabai , thanks to Peter I had a chance to try it

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
How Is Oscar able to sell seeds if the plants haven’t even fruited yet?  ???

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
There seem to be quite a few single trees that bear fruit in north Queensland. The fruit seem to vary considerably between trees in form and colour. Trees seem to prefer full sun and can be quite tall and thin.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
The tree that has produced is easily the best shaped tree. I had been led to believe that the fruits are collected from the ground. Now I think, at least here, it’s best to harvest the fruits before something eats it. They ripened nicely at the house and then the ripe fruits kept pretty well in the fridge.
So, I think it is best to shape safou trees for ease of picking and, yes, full sun. We recently removed a large native spondias tree that has been casting a lot of shade on those guys.
Peter

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2021, 12:08:44 AM »
The tree that has produced is easily the best shaped tree. I had been led to believe that the fruits are collected from the ground. Now I think, at least here, it’s best to harvest the fruits before something eats it. They ripened nicely at the house and then the ripe fruits kept pretty well in the fridge.
So, I think it is best to shape safou trees for ease of picking and, yes, full sun. We recently removed a large native spondias tree that has been casting a lot of shade on those guys.
Peter

FLI,
How did you shape the safou tree's?

Mike,
Do you know if the dabai tree's at CBG have fruited yet, just asking to see at what size (height, girth)  they could fruit in our neck of the woods. I know the one that's growing almost in the little artifical creek is the biggest with greatest girth.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »
With safou the fruits appear pretty much terminally on the branches so we want a bushy tree that doesn’t grow too tall since picking the fruits before they drop is best for us.
Peter

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 06:41:19 PM »
With safou the fruits appear pretty much terminally on the branches so we want a bushy tree that doesn’t grow too tall since picking the fruits before they drop is best for us.
Peter

Great, thanks!
Good to know it's preferable to pick it rather then let it drop like a durian for instance. Every bit of info helps :)
And maybe the rodents will get a taste for them if they go "ripe" on the tree.
Maybe not bat's becuase they don't go for our avo's which is "low" in carbohydrates, they love breadfruit so maybe they prefer the carb rich fruits.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »
Thanks for the info Peter!

Got a few of these from Forest house cameroon and it looks like they somehow survived the storm we had in TX with temps in my greenhouse briefly touching 30

Sounds like an interesting fruit that would be a great addition to salads, hopefully even though mine are in pots they will eventually produce

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
Sure, there’s not much info on safou. We’re new to it here too. Perhaps it can tolerate some cold.
Suerte
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk