Author Topic: Update on my mango trees So. Cal area  (Read 6588 times)

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
Update on my mango trees So. Cal area
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Hello guys have not post here in awhile due too a busy schedule. Did a very hard pruning on all my mango tree. You will notice that mango on manila rootstock tends to grow taller than florida brought trees.

Ewais mango (Got this from Roger Myers 4years ago)

Gold Nugget

Alphonso

Coconut cream

Glenn Mango

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:20:29 PM by Ant21 »

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my mango trees So. Cal area
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:14:52 PM »
Cool! Where do you get manila rootstock? Can I just buy a manila tree from Lowe's and graft onto it?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Nice trees.  Can you label each variety in the pics?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »
Hmm, that’s surprising! Just kidding, great looking trees. Yeah, it would help if you labeled the pictures. For those that aren’t aware, it’s not just Manilla rootstocks that perform well here, Kent, Haden, Tommy Atkins, VP, NDM, Sweet Tart, just about every mango seed I planted performs well but depending on your local microclimate, some varieties are more susceptible to diseases.

Simon

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
Thank guys, for some reason Florida mango trees are dwarf in my area. I live in the South Bay area that could also be a reason. I do have chico sapote, atemoya, and cherimoyas doing well also.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »
How long ago did you plant your Coconut Cream in the ground? and is on on Turpentine.

Just wondering as I noticed you have many flowers still and my CC is now starting its first flush on some branches and has already finished flowering overall.

Johnny

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »
How long ago did you plant your Coconut Cream in the ground? and is on on Turpentine.

Just wondering as I noticed you have many flowers still and my CC is now starting its first flush on some branches and has already finished flowering overall.

Johnny

CC has been in the ground for 2 years now, I got that from POG out in Florida. I like the height now but a very slow grower in So. Cal

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 06:01:43 PM »
Humm That's Interesting.  My Coconut Cream is a very fast grower. My tee is about 7 feet tall and wide. I have to trim it each year but it could be the rootstock as I grafted mine onto Manila 3 1/2 years ago.

Johnny

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »
Ant, do you buy trees that are already on manila rootstock? Or do you just graft onto manila trees that you buy from the store?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
The more data, the better.

I noticed that this year the trees I have grafted on my kent and keitt seedlings have really taken off. Hopefully they will continue in this trend and become productive.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 10:48:34 PM »
Not true turpentine is not a failed rootstock in SoCal. Some varieties grow slower some faster. Here are some pix to blow that theory up. All these trees are prune hard every year

Harvest moon 6 years in ground

Ppk 2 years in ground

Coco cream 6 years in ground

Maha Chanok 3 years in ground
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:52:07 PM by JF »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 12:04:53 AM »
Yes, some varieties will grow fine on Florida Turpentine rootstock but many, many, many, many people have failed. You plant enough Florida Turpentine rootstock trees and you’ll get a few to grow but the majority of people getting started with them will kill at least several trees that they paid top dollar for.

I want to point out to readers that there are different types of Turpentine trees out there and if grown from seed, they will probably grow fine. There is something about the Florida trees that make them super droopy, get gummosis and oftentimes die after 2-3 year. Often times, if you are able to keep the tree alive, it will stay very small.

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 12:11:57 AM »
I've had about equal luck with my FL turp trees and my HD Manilas, actually better results from the turps.

My Kent and Keitt grafts have been standouts.  Time will tell if they are productive.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 12:24:49 AM »
I had good luck with mangoes on turpentine rootstock. I have CAC, LZ, Pickering, CC, Malika, Glenn, and VP on turpentine that are doing excellent.  Here is my Pickering and CC on turpentine in pots. I can take some pictures tomorrow and post. I found that mangoes on turpentine I lost are due to my own fault. When I started I only used potting soil for potted trees, and used mulch to plant in ground. As a result I lost those trees. Now that I have switched to sand and topsoil mix only, I haven't lost anymore. Unfortunately, I still have some trees in potting soil only and they are on their way out.

Pickering and CC in sand and topsoil mix.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 12:33:14 AM »
I had good luck with mangoes on turpentine rootstock. I have CAC, LZ, Pickering, CC, Malika, Glenn, and VP on turpentine that are doing excellent.  Here is my Pickering and CC on turpentine in pots. I can take some pictures tomorrow and post. I found that mangoes on turpentine I lost are due to my own fault. When I started I only used potting soil for potted trees, and used mulch to plant in ground. As a result I lost those trees. Now that I have switched to sand and topsoil mix only, I haven't lost anymore. Unfortunately, I still have some trees in potting soil only and they are on their way out.

Very intetesting.. Maybe that's why I lost my Pickering and Little Gem. I used organic garden soil. Do you think it will work if I use all purpose sand from HD mixed with garden soil (is it the same with top soil?).

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 12:39:35 AM »

Very intetesting.. Maybe that's why I lost my Pickering and Little Gem. I used organic garden soil. Do you think it will work if I use all purpose sand from HD mixed with garden soil (is it the same with top soil?).

That's what I use Quikrete all purpose soil and regular top soil in 50:50 ratio. For inground trees, just native soil. If I knew or used this mix when I started, I wouldn't have lost so many trees.

Edit: all purpose sand
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:41:29 AM by hawkfish007 »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 12:42:24 AM »

That's what I use Quikrete all purpose soil and regular top soil in 50:50 ratio. For inground trees, just native soil. If I knew or used this mix when I started, I wouldn't have lost so many trees.
Thank you! My native soil is not completely clay, but a little dense. Do you think it will work better if I mixed a little bit sand with my native soil?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »

Thank you! My native soil is not completely clay, but a little dense. Do you think it will work better if I mixed a little bit sand with my native soil?

Adding sand to native soil should be ok and wouldn't be detrimental to trees. Apply generous amount of mulch around the tree away from trunk, and your soil profile will improve over time. One thing I forgot to mention, it is best to get a tree that hasn't been up potted locally at the nurseries since most nurseries use potting soil based mix to up pot to keep weight of the tree low and to water less frequently. Not to mention to make more $. I found mangoes that is in Florida sand and soil mix does well when planted directly in native soil, or sand and soil mix in pot.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Ant, do you buy trees that are already on manila rootstock? Or do you just graft onto manila trees that you buy from the store?

I bought them already on Manila rootstock.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 01:31:37 AM »

Adding sand to native soil should be ok and wouldn't be detrimental to trees. Apply generous amount of mulch around the tree away from trunk, and your soil profile will improve over time. One thing I forgot to mention, it is best to get a tree that hasn't been up potted locally at the nurseries since most nurseries use potting soil based mix to up pot to keep weight of the tree low and to water less frequently. Not to mention to make more $. I found mangoes that is in Florida sand and soil mix does well when planted directly in native soil, or sand and soil mix in pot.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and valuable knowledge. I just ordered a Sweet Tart from Florida and it will arrive soon. It is a 3 gallon tree. I will mix some sand with native soil, hopefully this tree will thrive.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 01:49:32 AM »
Thanks, Ant! Where do you get your trees on manila rootstock?

Also I totally agree about mixing in sand instead of purely using bagged garden soil, which is mostly forest products, which decompose/rot over time and will eventually kill the tree. I've had really good results with mixing in sand to my native soil along with worm castings and some peat moss. Peat moss decompose quite slowly compared to tree products and is one of the best mediums for moisture retention. It's really helpful since sand drains most of the water. The only downside to sand is that it's super heavy.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 03:05:53 AM »
i had 3 mangoes on turpentine (fruit punch, glenn and mallika) in ground for 2 years and they didn't really do much at all. i ended up digging all 3 out and put them in pots and they seem to respond better (healthier looking at least). replaced them with one corriente (sweettart) and two manila roostock (coconut cream/lemon zest) and i've gotten more growth and flowering in 1 year than i ever saw with the turpentine. YMMV but that's my own personal experience.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »

Also I totally agree about mixing in sand instead of purely using bagged garden soil, which is mostly forest products, which decompose/rot over time and will eventually kill the tree. I've had really good results with mixing in sand to my native soil along with worm castings and some peat moss. Peat moss decompose quite slowly compared to tree products and is one of the best mediums for moisture retention. It's really helpful since sand drains most of the water. The only downside to sand is that it's super heavy.

I stopped using peat moss in sand and soil mix for mangoes. I now use pumice rocks for mangoes that are in pots and under sun whole day to help retain water. But the mix does make the pot super heavy. I apply gromulch and worm casting on the top 1-2” only. This method has been working well for me. BTW, crop services sells 30 lbs worm gold plus for $19 plus tax.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »

I stopped using peat moss in sand and soil mix for mangoes. I now use pumice rocks for mangoes that are in pots and under sun whole day to help retain water. But the mix does make the pot super heavy. I apply gromulch and worm casting on the top 1-2” only. This method has been working well for me. BTW, crop services sells 30 lbs worm gold plus for $19 plus tax.

Thanks for the tip! Is there a reason why you don't go for peat moss? And where do you get your pumice rocks? I've been wondering about the best place to get them.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »

Thanks for the tip! Is there a reason why you don't go for peat moss? And where do you get your pumice rocks? I've been wondering about the best place to get them.

I decided to stay away from anything that may degrade overtime because I wanted to keep Pickering and CC in pots indefinitely. I buy pumice from zenhydro, they sell 1 cuft/~50 lbs for $9, but they may be out of stock now due to covid19 supply issues. I usually pick it up from their warehouse in Irwindale, they also sell 50 lbs cottonseed meal for $36 as well.

Here is my LZ on turpentine in ground since 04/2019, bought as a tiny 3 gal from plantogram. It is currently holding a lot of tiny fruitlets.

CAC on turpentine in ground since 04/19, bought in a 5 gal from Steve @ exotica, he didn’t up pot it and it was in original soil mix from Florida. It is holding a lot of fruitlets as well.

Lastly my grafted ST and DF on corriente rootstock grafted around 05/19.

Edit: Dwarf Hawaiian not DF, I may have planted LZ in 09/18 because I remembered it survived 2 winters.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:54:53 AM by hawkfish007 »