Author Topic: Most likely Loquat rootstock?  (Read 622 times)

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
Most likely Loquat rootstock?
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
I bought a Bradenton Loquat in Phoenix, but I don’t know it’s rootstock. I messaged the nursery owner asking, and he only replied “random”.

I’m pretty sure he gets most of his trees from Florida. Maybe there are ‘most common/most likely’ rootstock, or even recognition of the grower, based off the tag. Here’s a pic of some rootstock leaves and the tag;

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Most likely Loquat rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
They just grow seeds to make loquat rootstocks, what kind of info are you after?
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
Could be anything...ss Brad said, is there a reason you are asking?

Also, trim off that shoot in the picture asap.
- Rob

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »
I just like to document as accurately as I can, what is being grown. Rootstock affects flavor/vigor/ etcetera, right?

That and i was tempted to let the rootstock stem grow controlled so I can graft others onto it. Bad idea?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
I just like to document as accurately as I can, what is being grown. Rootstock affects flavor/vigor/ etcetera, right?

That and i was tempted to let the rootstock stem grow controlled so I can graft others onto it. Bad idea?

Mango, avocado, stone fruit and citrus rootstock could be important.   Loquat,  not so much.

Yes, bad idea to keep that shoot below the graft.  Cut it off.  If you want to make a franken tree, then graft onto the tree's branches or better yet, just plant seeds and graft away.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk