Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Yuzu Ichang Papeda cross

<< < (2/9) > >>

Huyen Linh Ho:

--- Quote from: lebmung on September 21, 2019, 06:25:21 PM ---there is a hybrid with satsuma called Ichandarin Liudmila, it's said to taste similar to yuzu.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, it is good to know it. Is it as hardy as yuzu? Is it seedless.

I at first just aim for the leaf taste, but then curious about seedless yuzu. I am working on it now. It might take several years, but it is fun to try.

Oolie:
One technique to create a seedless citrus is by selecting for a triploid.

There's an old thread on the forums about determining ploidy in citrus.

Ilya11:
I am trying to do this for three years, approximately 5% of Yuzu seeds are small enough to be compatible with triploids. But these seedlings are growing rather slowly.

lavender87:

--- Quote from: Ilya11 on September 22, 2019, 04:04:51 AM ---I am trying to do this for three years, approximately 5% of Yuzu seeds are small enough to be compatible with triploids. But these seedlings are growing rather slowly.

--- End quote ---

Amazing, I wish you luck on your project. I think if we graft an extra rootstock to the existing slow growing yuzu seedling, it might force it to grow faster. Some types of fertilizer do help sometimes to boost growth in early stages. We can also collect scionwood after the seedling is older than 1 year old and try to graft it on a vigorously matured rootstock to boost growth.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: lebmung on September 21, 2019, 06:25:21 PM ---there is a hybrid with satsuma called Ichandarin Liudmila, it's said to taste similar to yuzu.

--- End quote ---
It might be a hybrid of ichangensis, we're not exactly sure. Its cold hardiness hasn't been tested.
There is another thread started about it, for further discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version