Author Topic: Crispy variety Jackfruit! does anyone know about it?  (Read 3631 times)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Crispy variety Jackfruit! does anyone know about it?
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
I am trying to find information on this Jackfruit!  it sounds like it has a shortened name and possibly goes by another? Crispy is all they called it at Crowley's, but the owner cannot tell me a damn thing about it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Crispy variety Jackfruit! does anyone know about it?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
I am trying to find information on this Jackfruit!  it sounds like it has a shortened name and possibly goes by another? Crispy is all they called it at Crowley's, but the owner cannot tell me a damn thing about it.

Its probably cause they dont know what variety it is.  Sounds like they are just classifying it as "crispy flesh" (as ppposed to soft fleshed).  Is it grafted?
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
Yes, it is grafted from what she said but I have not personally seen it for confirmation. Unless I knew positively what it was, I would rather wait another month and will take the drive to Excalibur as soon as they have the Bankok Lemon and Red morning back in. Thanks for the feedback!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
Over at Excalibur they are saying the Krunchy Lemon and Bankok Lemon are different varieties. I thought I read you and others saying they are the same?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
I think BSBullie is right; they made up their own name.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
That is what I figured by my first remark but wanted to get you guys for more opinions. I have not been a Jackfruit collector, I am only wanting two so cannot screw it up. lol
The crispier the better, I do not want soft melting.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:49 AM »
What's the difference between Krunchy lemon and Bangkok Lemon
Www.sailing-charters.org

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread; i just wanted to share the experience I had when buying a section of jackfruit last week. It was sweet, aromatic and crunchy and of course; they don't know the variety besides that it came from Florida. It was one of the best I had and check out the rags to flesh ratio! It also had very little latex. I was so impressed that I planted the seeds, something I never do.

-Allan

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:12 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread; i just wanted to share the experience I had when buying a section of jackfruit last week. It was sweet, aromatic and crunchy and of course; they don't know the variety besides that it came from Florida. It was one of the best I had and check out the rags to flesh ratio! It also had very little latex. I was so impressed that I planted the seeds, something I never do.

-Allan

color, large bulbs, low latex, crispy, sounds similar to my MÍA 1
El verde es vida!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:40 PM »
Color does not look like Mai 1...then again ut looks a littke past uts prime and possibly even underripe from the picture.  Mai 1 has a lighter yellow color.
- Rob

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
The issue with Jackfruit cultivars is that there is an infinite variety of them. Unlike mangoes and many other fruits where less than 1% of seedlings are going to produce a decent fruit, many jackfruit seedlings are actually pretty good and produce in just a few years. Anyone who grows out a seedling and likes something about it can call it whatever they want and graft out all they can. So  maybe "Crunchy" is just a selected seedling that they are propagating, or it may be that they just planted the seeds of a crunchy fleshed fruit and assumed the seedlings would be similar. I would definitely check for a graft.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
Was there a yellow tag on the plant? Crowley resells a ton of ZHPP stuff. Zill's is the only place I have seen grafted jackfruit being sold without a name. I can almost guarantee you they did not graft that tree at Crowleys. Check out this thread.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22447.msg271075#msg271075
-Josh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »
The issue with Jackfruit cultivars is that there is an infinite variety of them. Unlike mangoes and many other fruits where less than 1% of seedlings are going to produce a decent fruit, many jackfruit seedlings are actually pretty good and produce in just a few years. Anyone who grows out a seedling and likes something about it can call it whatever they want and graft out all they can. So  maybe "Crunchy" is just a selected seedling that they are propagating, or it may be that they just planted the seeds of a crunchy fleshed fruit and assumed the seedlings would be similar. I would definitely check for a graft.

That theory would go for any fruit that does not come true to seed, including mangoes.  Unfortunately its not as simple as that.  It takes many years of sampling, testing and observing to ensure consistency and accuracy.

Hell, if someone grows a seedling mango and the fruit is all fiber, no sweetness and insipid taste,  it can be named and grafted if one chooses to fo so.
- Rob

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »

That theory would go for any fruit that does not come true to seed, including mangoes.  Unfortunately its not as simple as that.  It takes many years of sampling, testing and observing to ensure consistency and accuracy.

Hell, if someone grows a seedling mango and the fruit is all fiber, no sweetness and insipid taste,  it can be named and grafted if one chooses to fo so.

Another big thing to consider is personal collection vs production. If someone is producing fruit for sale, consistency is a huge factor. Three seedling trees will not produce consistent quality that is marketable quality.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

Another big thing to consider is personal collection vs production. If someone is producing fruit for sale, consistency is a huge factor. Three seedling trees will not produce consistent quality that is marketable quality.

A seedling tree could very well produce volume of marketabke quality fruit. 
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »

-Allan

I am not a jackfruit expert, but perhaps NS-1.  Because the relatively few seed pods.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
What's the difference between Krunchy lemon and Bangkok Lemon

I wouldn't get too caught up on the names having lemon in it.  Bangkok Lemon was imported from Asia by Excalibur Nurseries; it is a vigorous grower.  Don't know much about Krunchy Lemon.
www.FLMangos.com

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
Ok thanks, I bought a BL from them ...
Www.sailing-charters.org

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
NS-1 that I have grown in my yard have a ton of latex. If it was purchased with the core already removed and was refrigerated, I can see how someone may think it was low latex. Taste this year was excellent.

-Allan

I am not a jackfruit expert, but perhaps NS-1.  Because the relatively few seed pods.
Brandon