Author Topic: What are some of the best tasting low chill apricot ?  (Read 1091 times)

JOZEF

• California
    • View Profile
What are some of the best tasting low chill apricot ?
« on: February 15, 2024, 12:13:36 AM »
As the title suggests trying gather more info on low chill apricot, what are some of the best tasting varieties?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 12:30:16 AM by JOZEF »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of the best tasting low chill apricot ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 12:40:37 AM »
Gold kist, tropic gold
Brad Spaugh

JOZEF

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:47:16 AM »
Gold kist, tropic gold

have you tasted moorpark apricot , some told me they rated it better than gold kist ?

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:19:50 AM »
I don't think moorpark is low chill.

I think low chills are flavor delight, cot-n-candy, gold kist, katy, and tropic gold.

JOZEF

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 01:32:22 AM »
I don't think moorpark is low chill.

I think low chills are flavor delight, cot-n-candy, gold kist, katy, and tropic gold.

they are reported to fruit in USDA Zone 6-9. Flavor delight, cot-n-candy are apriums.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 02:18:15 AM by JOZEF »

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 10:34:14 AM »
Blenheim is listed at 400 chill hours, and is still my favorite. On the negative side, it is not the most disease resistant, and alternate bears. Flavor Delight and Cotton Candy apriums are pretty good, and are very early, which is fun.

JOZEF

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 06:09:17 PM »
Blenheim is listed at 400 chill hours, and is still my favorite. On the negative side, it is not the most disease resistant, and alternate bears. Flavor Delight and Cotton Candy apriums are pretty good, and are very early, which is fun.

I have both Cotton-N-Candy and Flavor Delight I like them but I still prefer rich true apricot flavor, nothing beats that in my opinion.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 10:31:53 PM »
If you can get Blenheim seeds, it's worth the gamble. A Spring Valley local planted a bunch out and all of the resulting seedlings yielded excellent fruit, best Apricots I've had.

jbirdfunk

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 12:13:49 AM »
If you can get Blenheim seeds, it's worth the gamble. A Spring Valley local planted a bunch out and all of the resulting seedlings yielded excellent fruit, best Apricots I've had.

That sounds great. Is this a CRFG grower? Any idea how much chill they get?

JOZEF

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 10:45:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, what motivates you to undertake the effort of growing Blenheim from seeds? Wouldn't it be more practical to opt for a grafted Blenheim tree available at a reasonable price from numerous local and online nurseries, avoiding the wait and uncertainty?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 05:11:31 AM »
Yes CRFG, but not actively attending meetings, get to know the older members and you will likely meet him. I imagine at his altitude/slope there's little if any chill.

I'll just say that I've never had apricots that compared to the seed grown ones, and there were multiple seedlings with similar fruit quality. There were four seedlings, two were fruiting that year, and both were similar and remarkable. He assured me there was little difference between the four, so not a fluke.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 12:38:44 AM »
Blenheim is listed at 400 chill hours, and is still my favorite. On the negative side, it is not the most disease resistant, and alternate bears.
Speaking from experience, Blenheim (also sometimes called Royal) still produces well in zone 10 (not 10a or 10b but right in the middle) but tends to only produce fruit every other year (once every 2 years). In this climate zone, the tree might do better in a spot that has just a little bit of shade and that doesn't get too hot, necessary for being able to accumulate adequate "chill" during winter.

Blenheim is a very excellent apricot, in size and taste.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk