Author Topic: Dave Wilson experimental avocado pits for trades??  (Read 2202 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Dave Wilson experimental avocado pits for trades??
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
Anybody interest in them? I have 5 pits, from the fruits I got sent by David Johnson of the San Joaquin valley CRFG chapter.

This is what Mr. Johnson(who got bud wood from the wife of the original owner of Dave Wilson's nursery )said about it:
It was the end result of personal research project by Mr. Wynn, the then owner of Dave Wilson nursery. I got some scion wood, from Mrs. Wynn, I hope I spelled their name correctly. Any way, the fruit is medium large, black skinned, ripening now. The flavor is strong, skin is thin and black, but not what you would call thin thin skin, you can peel a well ripened fruit. Like a Mexicola Grande, they due tend to much stronger flavored as they age, but not as fast. This season, the second year after fruiting, it seems to be a every other year producer. The research seed came from some tree in I believe NorCal, wonder if the strain is related to other early NorCal Mexican avocados brought in, in the early 1900s. It is similar to a Duke, but stronger flavored and thicker black skin. It also resists rot, unlike most avocados that quickly carry rot into the flesh, this one does not. and exposed flesh, does not readily turn brown or black upon exposure to the air. Similar in shape to Duke, as well, also develops a very lose seed that rattles. The tree form is weeping, fairly aggressive, the leaf narrow like a Duke or even more narrow, but not yellowish like a Duke leaf. If picked right, good taste, if picked too mature or stored too long, makes excellent guacamole or does well in cooking. One large limb on my multi grafted tree, produced 2 to 3 hundred fruits, this year, only produced maybe 3 to 4 dozen.

I would like to trade for a sugar apple seedling(red/ purple is prefer, but green a. squamosa is fine too), 1-2 cuttings of Haliey Comet DF, pandann plant/seeling, or some fresh kaffir lime seeds.

and sorry I don't have any bud wood, for that, you would have to ask for Mr. Johnson's contact from me, unless you already know his info  :)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Wilson experimental avocado pits for trades??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Hi, I sent a P.M. I would like to get some of the pits.
Thank you.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
Thanks for the interest, PM sent, check your in box

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
might have some fresh kaffir lime seeds soon bro..

i'm trying to grow some cados too :)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
That would be great to get some fresh lime seeds, just let me know when you will have them  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk