Author Topic: Elberta Peach Rootstock  (Read 1082 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Elberta Peach Rootstock
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:46 AM »
Ok, about 20 years ago there were four Elberta Peaches planted on this property before I later turned it into a fruit orchard.

The lawn googans in times past weedeated around the bases of them and three ultimately died, and one carried on--albiet from the base.

I started taking care of this giant 20' wild bush, and with proper pruning and maintenance, turned it into a nice looking 15' tree with a rounded canopy.

Last year it produced tons of flowers and peach-like fruits that never got any larger than a nut before falling off.  This spring, little seedlings popped up all over the property.

Wanting to give this beast a second chance, I watched it more carefully this year, taking note of all of the fruits.  I have come to realize that this Elberta Peach is no longer a peach at all, but rather an Almond Tree.

I am assuming the Rootstock is what was saved and therefore an almond tree was used to grow the Elberta Peaach.

Question is, what rootstock?  Would have been used on Elberta Peaches 20 years ago.  I am curious for one, if they are edible?  If not, I wonder if this vigorous tree could be used to add a ton of scions to and order to grow a mix of peach and nectarine varieties I'd otherwise not have room for.  If so, then, well, we have an almond tree--which is welcomed I suppose (except for the seedlings spouting everywhere).

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:59:32 AM by Viking Guy »