Author Topic: Avocado tree is flowering second time in 3 months  (Read 1008 times)

1tuwheel

• USA, Ca, Santa Maria
    • View Profile
Avocado tree is flowering second time in 3 months
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
I have had avocado trees from the mid 60's and haven't seen this before. I live in the central coast of California and I can't see a weather pattern that may have caused it. It's a hass been in the ground for 9 years and set fruit from the july flowering. Anyone have a clue?

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree is flowering second time in 3 months
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
Is your tree in full bloom or are only some branches blooming?.  I saw a tree in Carpinteria yesterday that had a few blooms on in it.  I believe that it was Hass.  I think that there is a cultivar called 'Carmen Hass' that can bloom at odd times.  There is an orchard in Goleta that I suspect that has this cultivar that blooms at odd times.

1tuwheel

• USA, Ca, Santa Maria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
The east side has new blooms, but also has fruit that is 2.5 inches long. Looks like the tree was headed because it has a spot where it branches to each side about 2ft above the ground. Seems to have pattern of only bearing every other year.

1tuwheel

• USA, Ca, Santa Maria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
If anyone is interested, the tree has set fruit again. Now to see if it stays on.