Author Topic: my mango collection and observations  (Read 3040 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
my mango collection and observations
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Hi everyone.  This is my first start new topic post.
I wanted to share my lineup of fairly new mango trees and give my observations.

Lineup of potted mango trees:

From left to right:
1. Mallika (PIN grown, purchased from Mimosa LA today in a 7 gallon pot and transferred to a 15 gallon pot).  I heard so many good things about this variety in So Cal.  This will be fun to figure out when to pick it...from what I have read.
2. Multi-grafted Glenn, Alfonso, Valencia Pride (VP), and Haden? (purchased from Mimosa LA in Nov 2012 in a 20 gallon pot).  See comments below (close-up of multi-grafted tree).
3. Timotayo (La Verne Nursery grown, purchased from Lowes in Oct 2013)...MangoProfessor's creation that he supposedly lost patent control over by ownership change and mistake at La Verne Nursery.  Let's see how cold hardy this variety is...although it doesn't really get too cold where I live in North Orange County CA (zone 10b).
4. Carrie (PIN grown, purchased in summer 2013 from Mimosa LA in a 15 gallon pot).  Had 1 fruit that was flavorful but not sickening sweet as PIN and others have described.  In fact, I felt it was a little tart.  But the flesh was very fragrant near the skin.  This must be the piney taste that I have heard people describe.  According to Gilbert at Mimosa LA, I picked it just a little too early.  It had a yellow patch on the sunny facing side and it came off the tree fairly easily in a 90 degree twist.  Next year, I will wait a little longer...maybe yellow at the bottom beak....which would mean picking in mid-October.
5. Keitt (La Verne nursery grown, purchased from Lowes in May 2013 in a 5 gallon pot and transferred to a 7 gallon pot).  Probably will get fruit in 2 years.
6. Manila mango puchased from Home Depot in winter 2012-3 and used for grafting experiments.  Still in its 5 gallon pot.  Haven't been successful at grafting yet.

Close-up of the multi-grafted tree:

Glenn at middle right...can you believe this tiny little graft delivered 3 good sized fruit this year.  Sweet and flavorful. Yellow-orange color inside.
VP on far left...delivered 1 nice fruit.  Very sweet and flavorful...with a little tartness.
Alfonso in middle of picture ....didn't fruit.  Anxiously waiting for next year.
Haden at top (cut off in picture) ...I don't think it is a Haden based on shape and taste.  Gilbert and Tom at Mimosa LA claim the tree was originally a Haden from La Verne before they grafted onto it.  However, the 3 fruit from it this year was extremely elongated shaped (like Maha Chanok) and sweet, but lacked any tropical mango flavor that is characteristic of Haden.  There was also a lot of fiber at the seed.  Maybe I will top work this someday with another variety.  I'll give it 1 more chance this year.

In-ground tree:

Bought this tree 10 years ago (in 2003) from Mimosa Anaheim.  It was already an adult size (5-6 ft tall) in a 2 ft wide box and was labelled "Indian".
I thought it was a Baileys Marvel tree until I compared it against a "real" Glenn fruit this year from my multi-grafted tree.  I compared outward appearance, color inside, texture, flavor, size of seed).  I do note that the fruit should not be allowed to ripen too long on the tree as it becomes acidity/sour if you let it stay too long.  If it falls on the ground, it is generally overripe.
Its kind of weird...I use the smell test to determine when to pick it.  If I can smell the tropical mango scent at the skin, then its ready to pick.  Color alone doesn't determine ripeness, especially the ones that are inside the canopy and green.
My tree is now 10 feet tall in the ground and a favorite amongst my family.  It has been pruned every year, but never at the top.  It is pruned because I planted it too close to the wall and I wanted to prevent the tree from tipping over.  The growth is relatively slow and matches the characteristic of the Glenn.  Now I am curious if anyone here in So Cal has a Bailey's Marvel.

Whew...sorry for the long post.
Thanks.
Warren
Warren

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: my mango collection and observations
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »
Very nice trees Warren and welcome to the forum.  Your family is going to be in mango heaven in just a few years, are you growing any other tropicals?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Nice selection of mangos, welcome.

I also have 'Keitt,' 'Carrie,' 'Haden,' 'Glenn' and 'Alphonso.' Based on my own experience I think you'll love 'Keitt,' 'Carrie,' 'Haden' and 'Glenn.' I'm still waiting to get fruit from 'Alphonso,' maybe next year, I can't wait.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
Warren Welcome, great pic's of your Mango's quite the collection you've got going. 8)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
wow, your mango trees grow really slow in california. A glenn that old in south florida would be 25 to 30 feet tall.
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Ethan,

I'm growing Manzano bananas (apple bananas), if you consider these tropicals....but pretty much only mangoes.
Off topic....strangely enough, I'm growing the opposite of subtropicals too ....low chill cherries thanks to Dave Wilson's Nursery.

Jeff,
Yep...slow growth...It is possible that my "Glenn" became root bound in its 24" planter box before I got it into the ground in 2003.
But from what I have read, our climate here in So Cal really stunts growth (winter time) and results in later fruit ripening than Florida.

Warren
Warren

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:53 AM »
Greetings, Warren!  I live right by you.  I have a Ewais and a small Julie that you can have cuttings from. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »
Hello Warren, thanks for sharing your pictures and for the descriptions. I have an Alphondo, Glenn, Maha Chanok, Nam Doc Mai, Lemon Zest, Edward seedling and a Thai mango. I've been removing the fruit from all my trees for the last 3 years or so. I've only harvested one NDM from my tree that escaped my thinning and it was very sweet and delicious. Here in Southern California, our trees grow really slowly compared to southern Florida. Seedling mangoes tend to perform pretty well after they get established. Even though I remove the fruit from my trees, they are still pretty small. I think the key to getting larger trees is to fertilize well when our trees are in active growth in the heat of Summer.

I wonder if your Carrie was not sweet because there was not enough leaves or your plant may not have received full sunlight? Please keep us updated on the progress of your trees.
Simon

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:32:54 AM »
RodneyS, MangoFang,

I sent you both a test PM.

Warren
Warren

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
Yah, it's the socal climate. Mangoes love stifling heat and humidity. Anything below 90F is bed time for the mango trees in my yard. During the june to oct period, most mango trees can put on 3 to 5 feet of growth here. The good thing is that they take pruning very well.

Ethan,

I'm growing Manzano bananas (apple bananas), if you consider these tropicals....but pretty much only mangoes.
Off topic....strangely enough, I'm growing the opposite of subtropicals too ....low chill cherries thanks to Dave Wilson's Nursery.

Jeff,
Yep...slow growth...It is possible that my "Glenn" became root bound in its 24" planter box before I got it into the ground in 2003.
But from what I have read, our climate here in So Cal really stunts growth (winter time) and results in later fruit ripening than Florida.

Warren
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk