Author Topic: Painted Mango Collection  (Read 1375 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Painted Mango Collection
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:46 AM »
I was curious if anyone has bought any of the new line of cold hardy mangoes (Painted Mango Collection) at socalplantbreeders?
http://www.socalplantbreeders.com/#!mango-varieties-currently-avai/comb
I saw tiered price(s) mentioned on another website...seemed reasonable for So Cal, but never confirmed them.

25degF hardiness seems to be pretty good!
I was really curious/interested in these mangoes for So Cal, but it appears there wasn't enough for a taste sampling this year.  Most of the varieties were described as sweet, mild flavor.
2 of the 10 varieties appear to be out of stock until 2015...those 2 were described as aromatic.
Its kind of tough to make an assessment based on the website descriptions alone.  Looks like it may take about 2-3 years before we hear feedback from other growers.
With the thousands of seeds that were tested and hybridization, I'd imagine that it was difficult to keep track of the parent(s) for each of the 10 new mango types in the collection. I didn't see the parent(s) published anywhere in their website.

Thanks.

Warren
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:10:22 AM by wslau »
Warren

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Painted Mango Collection
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
Warren - in another post somewhere here on this forum, Tim Thompson, ie. Mango Professor, described
how they are the best of thousands of seedlings he collected and planted many years ago to see how they handled
the cold unprotected, and of course they had to taste and look good.  From those thousands he kept only
the  best and grew them till they fruited and has now started to graft them into separate plants that are
for public sale...

And yes, I felt the descriptions were very generalized also for those 10 varieties, and yes, it is definitely
better to taste them to give a proper evaluation to see if they appeal to you. 

Only time will tell, but I must say, some of them look quite attractive and promising, especially that
Antonio one that Tim says is the one that handles down to 25 degrees.....

Gary

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Painted Mango Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »
Started w thousands a couple decades ago ended up keeping hundreds. Recently released 7? Reportedly the taste is good but nothing phenomenal (reading between the lines). Keep in mind these are all monoembryonic first generation hybrids. And likely mostly self crosses. Some are just fruiting now. I ordered one through crfg a couple months ago. I suspect itll be another couple decades before anything comes out thatll be amazing as far as taste, but the cold hardiness is a big deal here. Bravo to mangoprofessor for the job hes done.
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk