Author Topic: Depressing, Orange Sherbert Mango Broke  (Read 7621 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Depressing, Orange Sherbert Mango Broke
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »
Went outside yesterday, found 2 yr old orange sherbet laying on its side. Cracked at and below the graft.

Tree was doing very healthy. Its planted in a very nitrogen rich zone. Looks like the canopy grew too fast for the trunk.  I found the sprinkler was clogged with ants, so it might have gotten thirsty over the last week. I don't recall reading anything about this cultivar being susceptible to breakage (unlike coconut cream).

I tried to recover by doing a couple of bark grafts on the stump. I have low expectations. Found a couple wild mangos to graft onto too.

I do not know of anyone else that has this one on the island or the state... pretty depressing. Especially considering they are $100 just for s/h.  :-[

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:21:26 AM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Depressing, Orange Sherbert Mango Broke
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
Where fid you get a grafted orange sherbet?
- Rob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
That really really sucks man. I'd get grafting ASAP.
Dom

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »
TT, Feb 2016.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
TT, Feb 2016.

Well luckily for you it wasn't an orange sherbet then.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
TT, Feb 2016.

Lol. The Lemon Zest couldn't continue living a lie so it killed itself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:52 PM »
TT, Feb 2016.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
- Rob

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »
murahilin, that is just too funny

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:03 AM »
What kind of graft it had, venner or cleft?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 02:20:50 AM »
TT, Feb 2016.

Haha :D

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:10:38 AM »

Probably a bud graft.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:20:18 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
Bummer when you lose a tree, what type of graft would be good to know!  :(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
Bummer when you lose a tree, what type of graft would be good to know!  :(

If it came from TT, it almost 100% assuredly originated from ZHPP,  which makes it a type of bud graft.
- Rob

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »

Probably a bud graft.

Thank you Rob, I didn't know that bud grafts were used also in mangoes. Here chip budding is the most common graft in nurseries in the case of Prunus, because is easily and quickly done. Any kind of bud graft may be used in mangoes or there is one specially suitable for it?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
Went outside yesterday, found 2 yr old laying on its side. Cracked at and below the graft.

I tried to recover by doing a couple of bark grafts on the stump. I have low expectations. Found a couple wild mangos to graft onto too.

Sorry for your loss I have not had one crack that low. I have had a cleft graph that I put on a old tree at about the 5 ft ht. get blown off when it had a similar amount of top growth.

There is a chance some of yours is still your desired variety and hopefully it will sprout out on the slither sticking up. Mine did split very similarly and the slither had numerous new limbs form in a few weeks and it actually helped prevent future wind damage due to becoming so bushy from the split area regrowth and lower & closer to the ground & out of upper winds (previously the cleft graph was about 4 foot up from original old tree with most of the branching far from the old tree & too high in the wind).

Good luck and don't cut off the slither. Do not make a smooth flat cut. Do not cut off even a mm till you see what will sprout and where. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:18:37 PM by palmcity »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 12:42:46 PM »

Probably a bud graft.

Thank you Rob, I didn't know that bud grafts were used also in mangoes. Here chip budding is the most common graft in nurseries in the case of Prunus, because is easily and quickly done. Any kind of bud graft may be used in mangoes or there is one specially suitable for it?

I have seen varying forms of chip, T and inverted T.  Of course, each nursery and grafter usually have proprietary "tricks" and secrets.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
Went outside yesterday, found 2 yr old laying on its side. Cracked at and below the graft.

Sorry for your loss I have not had one crack that low. I have had a cleft graph that I put on a old tree at about the 5 ft ht. get blown off when it had a similar amount of top growth.

There is a chance some of yours is still your desired variety and hopefully it will sprout out on the slither sticking up. Mine did split very similarly and the slither had numerous new limbs form in a few weeks and it actually helped prevent future wind damage due to becoming so bushy from the split area regrowth and lower & closer to the ground & out of upper winds (previously the cleft graph was about 4 foot up from original old tree with most of the branching far from the old tree & too high in the wind).

Good luck and don't cut off the slither. Do not make a smooth flat cut. Do not cut off even a mm till you see what will sprout and where.

There looks to be plenty of good Lemon Zest budwood on that tree.  Best to graft o to a seedlinv to start anew or top work onto existing tree to save it.  Relying on that sliver, even if it does shoot out a LZ growth, it will most likely not be the healthiest of trees.
- Rob

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Old School.
-Josh

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »
In your grafting experience, which are the less prone to break? And the weakest?

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »

There looks to be plenty of good Lemon Zest budwood on that tree.  Best to graft o to a seedlinv to start anew or top work onto existing tree to save it.  Relying on that sliver, even if it does shoot out a LZ growth, it will most likely not be the healthiest of trees.
As I mentioned, I would not cut off even a mm of the slither. I would use the existing good grafted slither a chance to sprout new limbs instead of risking your few possible buds on a graft attempt unless you are an expert at bud grafting.

My slither was higher up the limb and I will include pictures of the Now very healthy growing grafted limbs after a little over a year since the wind took off the top. The tree actually has an Easier Time of healing the graft on a slither IMO as the amount of xylem is small to have to circle with new cambium/phloem vs. a large limb. This is evident in almost all old big limb removal where years may pass to finally circle the cambium around the xylem to help prevent rot etc. etc. etc....
But, many don't see the obvious....However, pictures will follow for your amusement.
Original Cleft Graft picture one

2nd picture: Obvious tip of slither where new limb cambium quickly circled slither and continued upward.

3rd picture: Obviously a very healthy tree...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:14:46 PM by palmcity »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »

As I mentioned, I would not cut off even a mm of the slither. I would use the existing good grafted slither a chance to sprout new limbs instead of risking your few possible buds on a graft attempt unless you are an expert at bud grafting.

My slither was higher up the limb and I will include pictures of the Now very healthy growing grafted limbs after a little over a year since the wind took off the top. The tree actually has an Easier Time of healing the graft on a slither IMO as the amount of xylem is small to have to circle with new cambium/phloem vs. a large limb. This is evident in almost all old big limb removal where years may pass to finally circle the cambium around the xylem to help prevent rot etc. etc. etc....
But, many don't see the obvious....However, pictures will follow for your amusement.
Original Graft picture one

2nd picture: Obvious tip of slither where new limb cambium quickly circled slither and continued upward.

Sorry but dont see the similarity in your tree and the LZ in question.  Maybe I am not seeing yours correctly but it looks like there is more of yhe grafted material there (and of course we cant see the fresh break).  Yours also looks to be a more eatablished tree that may have been keft after the damage.  The LZ js basicalky broken at the graft at ground level.

Could it possibly come back, sure, I suppose...but...why not just st art iver with a healthy graft.  Again, plenty of vudwood on the top part that broke off..

To each their own...
- Rob

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »

Original Graft picture one

Sorry but dont see the similarity in your tree and the LZ in question.  Maybe I am not seeing yours correctly but it looks like there is more of yhe grafted material there (and of course we cant see the fresh break).  Yours also looks to be a more eatablished tree that may have been keft after the damage.  The LZ js basicalky broken at the graft at ground level.

Could it possibly come back, sure, I suppose...but...why not just st art iver with a healthy graft.  Again, plenty of vudwood on the top part that broke off..

To each their own...
No problem, I thought you wanted to take a possible bud that may form from the rootstock and remaining slither of Lz. Sure, try any broken off parts accessible.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
Turns out it was a neighbors bull that was going around ripping trees. I had 3 other trees destroyed over the next few days before catching it.

Just want to update so people don't get hesitant about the quality of grafts/trees.

Whether its a LZ or not, I do not know. I have 2 other lemon zests and the growth habit was different. The LZ is very upright and vigorous. This OS was very bush like and low.

Even if it turned out to be a lemon zest, I would have been happy to have a third lemon zest  ;D

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
I have two different lemon zests and they both have different growth habits. Fruits taste the same. One is tall and produces smaller fruits, the other is more spreading and produces larger fruit. Must be differences in the rootstock or soil nutrients.
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Turns out it was a neighbors bull that was going around ripping trees. I had 3 other trees destroyed over the next few days before catching it.

Just want to update so people don't get hesitant about the quality of grafts/trees.

Whether its a LZ or not, I do not know. I have 2 other lemon zests and the growth habit was different. The LZ is very upright and vigorous. This OS was very bush like and low.

Even if it turned out to be a lemon zest, I would have been happy to have a third lemon zest  ;D

From the looks of the leaves, it is/was a LZ.  In any event, definitely not an OS.
- Rob