Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 181917 times)

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
Behlgarden,
I'm also very surprised to hear your Reed isn't productive. I've never seen or heard of such a Reed. Can you post a picture? Where are you located?
gregalder.com/yardposts/

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
sorry that was CA hockey with all the potted avocados.  I can only guess the reed tree may need more water if fruit drop is the problem and not fruit set.  Seems like they set way more fruit than the trees can support.

My reed dropped fruit last year when it didn't get enough water.  This year I have been doing more frequent watering and not a single fruit has fallen off.  I had to thin them out intentionally.  When its hot like this and dry, they water 2 or 3X a week.  Its been in the 90s, windy and 15% humidity here.  Been watering every 2 or 3 days.

Interesting.  I too had a lot of fruit drop.  Out of a 100 or so they dropped about 60 the size of a golf ball.  I'll step up the watering.

Again, I can't imagine any avocado with a superior taste and  texture than a Reed.  I LOVE the thick rigid peel, makes for easy spooning.   New Sir Prize fruit looks great.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 02:28:24 PM »
Mark, you are a more seasoned gardener than myself so take this for what its worth.  You mentioned your fruit drop on your tree before, is that tree like the others in a semi potted/semi grounded type planting?  Only thought is if its in a above ground pot, the feeder roots are possibly not large enough to support a big crop.

My trees that set a lot of fruit this year have been getting regular avo citrus food and I also did a single large dose of potassium sulfate and zinc sulfate to the trees early summer.  That and watering hard and trees are holding onto fruit and look really nice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:01:56 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
Mark, you are a more seasoned gardener than myself so take this for what its worth.  You mentioned your fruit drop on your tree before, is that tree like the others in a semi potted/semi grounded type planting?  Only thought is if its in a above ground pot, the feeder roots are possibly not large enough to support a big crop.

Good point, but I really have no clue.  It's in a big pot, at least 36" diameter and the fact that the feeder roots are thick and fibrous due to the root tip pruning action of the system, would think it's sufficient to support it.   It gets a slow release 18-4-9 which may be too much N.  I have pot. sulfate, might hit it with that next summer.   The 8 trees are using alot of water.  I used 150 gals. of rainwater on them yesterday.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
Reason why you should always mulch avocados.  I tweeked my Reed's pot today by pulling away mulch and adding soil where need be...and other stuff.  Hard to see but blond feeder roots can be seen growing on top of the soil under a thick mulch of pine needles and leaves.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 09:45:49 PM »
YES! those tiny feeder roots are the source of your avocado health
Lorenzo

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
YES! those tiny feeder roots are the source of your avocado health

You bet!  Creating that natural forest floor of humus is what it's all about.  All my avocado trees have a mat of healthy blond feeder roots right on top of the soil and under about 4-6" of mulch consisting of pine needles and their own leaves.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
unfortunately i've no pine needles available here but i collect and treasure every single avocado leaf and i spread them gently around every tree covering them with some stone to prevent wind to wipe them away.
I've the same situation as yours, a thick net of creamy-colored feeding roots just under the leaves :-)
Lorenzo

Greg A

• View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
If you're in California, what avocados are you eating from your yard now in early October?
gregalder.com/yardposts/

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »

These 3 varieties.  Assuming the left one is a Fuentes.  The other two not exactly sure.  Thought maybe middle was haas. But wife says it doesn’t taste like the ones she gets from the market.  It has a more pebbly skin.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »

These 3 varieties.  Assuming the left one is a Fuentes.  The other two not exactly sure.  Thought maybe middle was haas. But wife says it doesn’t taste like the ones she gets from the market.  It has a more pebbly skin.
Did you mean Fuerte, rather than "Fuentes?"  Could middle one be Pinkerton?  It appears to have some Hass genetics (pebbly skin).
John

Greg A

• View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
I agree that the left one looks like it could be Fuerte, and the middle one could be Pinkerton, but the one on the right looks unfamiliar. Arc310, is it from a tree in your yard that you didn't plant? You're so lucky to have the varieties this month.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 12:22:09 AM »
@johnb51 - Fuerte yes. haha.

pinkerton hmm. i'll research more about it and compare some more pictures to see.

@gregA - yea...these are REALLY OLD trees....way older than i am now and the trunks i have to stretch to wrap my arms around some of them. had issues with some sprinklers and etc so it's taken a few years for it to start to recover again.

i'll go take some more pics of the 3rd one in more detail when i get back.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »
The one on the far right looks like a Bacon.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
Pinkerton has a long neck, don't think that's a match for the insider.   Isn't it a bit early for Fuerte for you guys?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Yes too soon for fuerte and pinkerton.  Have a lot sitting on my trees, too soon to pick them.

Brad Spaugh

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Has anyone attempted to grow these with rooted cuttings rather than grafted trees? If so, what level of success did you have in terms of getting them to root, and how well did they do once established?

I'd like to attempt to do this myself, but want to make sure its viable before I go looking for cuttings to purchase.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »
Rooting avocado cutting is difficult for my experience
Lorenzo

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 10:53:17 PM »
Air layering is possible according to the interweb.  But most people just start a seed and graft onto it.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »
Rooting avocado cutting is difficult for my experience

....if not impossible.  Start a seed, graft on it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
I hope that Carlos in Homestead will follow up with Pinkerton and Green Gold unless Hurricane Irma destroyed his fruit.  These two could be important for Florida enthusiasts.
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
I hope that Carlos in Homestead will follow up with Pinkerton and Green Gold unless Hurricane Irma destroyed his fruit.  These two could be important for Florida enthusiasts.

Carlos Pinkerton scions came from me and according to his latest reports they are promising in Homestead. The middle avocado is not Pinkerton may be Wurzt

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
Thanks! In that case I'll stick with grafting scions as my primary method. Still, I'd like to experiement with rooting cuttings and some folks in gardening group I run have had some success.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

Carlos Pinkerton scions came from me and according to his latest reports they are promising in Homestead. The middle avocado is not Pinkerton may be Wurzt

JF I'm going to graft either a Sir Prize or Pinkerton on a fine Oro Negro rootstock next winter when buds begin to swell, coming out of dormancy.  If it was you, considering my limited real estate, which would you choose?  The Sir Prize so far is holding 4 pretty nice fruit (had 8, dropped some) for it's second year, is very vigorous and healthy.  Pinkerton is a bit of a runt in comparison.

I've tasted Pinkerton and love it.  Never tried Sir Prize.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »
Pinkerton. This is a consistent top tier avocado can't say enough good things about it. Sir Prize is excellent ridiculous producer but every other year.