Author Topic: Santa Anas  (Read 4918 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Santa Anas
« on: October 25, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
I thought we made it through this year and were in the clear.  Everything has been going well in the garden until yesterday.  We got hit really hard with the dry wind last night.  Lots of broken plants, trees fallen over, shades and pots and trash cans etc thrown around.  The yard is a real mess and many plants are destroyed.  I havent even gone to look at the orchard yet.  Just looking at the plants closest to the house its not pretty.
Brad Spaugh

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Anas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
Bummer... but it happens every year... anyway to grow natural windbreaks?

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
Bummer... but it happens every year... anyway to grow natural windbreaks?

At this rate I might start planting bamboo as wind breakers.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
Awww man, sorry Brad. That sucks. I was worried about my new acerola getting tipped over but it survived... Just lost its shade cloth.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
sorry to hear Brad, I got spared in South Corona hills, most winds were in the canyons, max. wind we got was 5 mph.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:58:22 PM by behlgarden »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
Sorry to see what happened to your plants around the house. In my area where I live in the flat land, the wind blows "only" about 20 -40 Mph; so practically no damage suffered, but I guess since you are on a hill, the wind is stronger.

I try to make a habit of checking the wind and night temperature  in the Fall and Winter here in SoCal, but sometimes still forget and caught me by surprise...
Hope no serious damage in your orchard, Brad!
Sam

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »
Oh my God! I'm so sorry for this Brad! Just hope things are not so bad as you think!
 :-[

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
Sorry to hear Brad :(
I’ve heard about the winds but not being familiar with the climate there, what causes them and it the same time every year?

Edit: I was curious enough to google it. Incase anyone else is unfamiliar and wondered https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:57:46 PM by Ulfr »

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
I live where it gets heavy winds... in the neighboring cities... But Claremont is dense with trees, big old trees... by the time the Santa Ana's reach my house it has to really be whipping for my trees to sway much.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:18:11 PM by Organic Cavalry »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
@skbaer
8 minHá 8 minutos
Mais
Last night, a PG&E meteorologist said this weekend's severe wind event could be the strongest California has seen in "years." Now the company is saying the weather event could be the most powerful in "decades."

@skbaer
11 minHá 11 minutos
Mais
PG&E is now saying approximately 850,000 customers could lose power in the potential PSPS event this weekend starting Saturday.

Using the 3.1 persons per account estimate, that means roughly 2.6 million people could be without power.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
That sucks Brad,

At my place, Sugarcanes snapped in half. Dragonfruit are splitting, Cherimoyas are getting sunburnt and lots of sunburned leaves on various trees.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 05:37:47 PM »
That’s horrible brad! We are lucky we don’t get the heavy Santa Ana winds here in north orange country but the heatwave continues into the weekend

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
Daniel Swain

@Weather_West
Friday update: unfortunately, models have not backed off on extreme wind potential for parts of NorCal late Sat/Sun. Widespread low elevation northeasterly gusts of 40-55 mph & hilltop/canyon gusts of 60-80 mph; isolated mountain spots could see even higher gusts. #CAwx #CaFire

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
@skbaer
8 minHá 8 minutos
Mais
Last night, a PG&E meteorologist said this weekend's severe wind event could be the strongest California has seen in "years." Now the company is saying the weather event could be the most powerful in "decades."

@skbaer
11 minHá 11 minutos
Mais
PG&E is now saying approximately 850,000 customers could lose power in the potential PSPS event this weekend starting Saturday.

Using the 3.1 persons per account estimate, that means roughly 2.6 million people could be without power.
Stephanie K. Baer

@skbaer

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
At my place in SB, I just put a freshly uprooted acerola cherry into the ground... I hope it survives. Even with shade cloth all over it, its' going to 100% defoliate... Been ultra watering everything just in case. It was 104f yesterday. The wind so far has been ok, maybe not too bad in SoCal?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
It will be ok, it just sucks seeing big branches break off.  Its bad enough with the heat and low humidity, the wind is just extra damaging and brings along the fire risks.  We had to get up last night (2am)and put our valuables in the vehicle in case a fire broke out.  The house was getting rocked and trees were flapping sideways.  I was pretty nervous the fire was going to come.

Our place is tucked away enough that a late escape could be deadly.  I lost a family member in a fire ten years ago.  He was trying to drive out of wildcat canyon where he lived and the smoke was too thick and he suffocated.  They found him and the cat next to the car. 

I saw one of the neighbors heading out in their motorhome yesterday evening.  At 2AM today I was thinking that guy was smart.  Here I am unable to sleep with all the wind and things banging around and worrying about my fruit trees and wildfire while my kids are in their room sleeping.  Not good. 

As far as the garden goes, I did go ahead and spray a gallon of surround on Monday.  At least it will be a good test of its effectiveness.  I did a few young trees of same age and variety with and without surround.  So it will be a good comparison of how well it works.  Its been 4 or 5 days of 90F+ and single digit humidity.  And now the wind. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:16:19 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
At my place in SB, I just put a freshly uprooted acerola cherry into the ground... I hope it survives. Even with shade cloth all over it, its' going to 100% defoliate... Been ultra watering everything just in case. It was 104f yesterday. The wind so far has been ok, maybe not too bad in SoCal?

The plants can only use so much water from the ground.  You can drench the plant canopy to help it from dessicating.  Just water it as often as you can on the leaves.  It will not burn the plant, thats a myth.

You can also use surround on them to reflect off the light. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »

The plants can only use so much water from the ground.  You can drench the plant canopy to help it from dessicating.  Just water it as often as you can on the leaves.  It will not burn the plant, thats a myth.

You can also use surround on them to reflect off the light.

Too late I think. They're falling off so rapidly now and dry as a bone. It's a 10' tall specimen so it'll probably be fine by Spring if winter doesn't get it.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
@skbaer
8 minHá 8 minutos
Mais

@skbaer
11 minHá 11 minutos
Mais

Stephanie K. Baer

@skbaer
They say that every year! Same exact script year after year... Santa Ana's is just a term for strong wind now... I wish they didnt cry wolf so much, same with the rain.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »

@passantino
 19 minHá 19 minutos
MaisJon Passantino retweetou The Press Democrat
Extraordinary evacuation order in the North Bay where officials just warned “tonight could be a repeat” of the Oct 2017 firestorm
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1188143791854632960

@ClaudineKTVU
 20 minHá 20 minutos
Mais
#breaking #sonomacountysheriff says 'This is the largest evacuation we have conducted in my 26 years". #Ktvu
https://twitter.com/ClaudineKTVU/status/1188143779535966208

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
@skbaer
8 minHá 8 minutos
Mais

@skbaer
11 minHá 11 minutos
Mais

Stephanie K. Baer

@skbaer
They say that every year! Same exact script year after year... Santa Ana's is just a term for strong wind now... I wish they didnt cry wolf so much, same with the rain.

definitely the wolf this year today will be the worst

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »
Its blowing hard here.  1% humidity and blowing tiles off the roof.  Had to climb on the roof last night to reset some tiles in case a fire breaks out.  Dont want sparks getting into the roof.
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »
:(
Shane

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 03:48:25 PM »
Its blowing hard here.  1% humidity and blowing tiles off the roof.  Had to climb on the roof last night to reset some tiles in case a fire breaks out.  Dont want sparks getting into the roof.

wow. max winds here in Sough Corona hills is 9 mph. canyons are getting pounded.  Hope it doesnt pickup

ltgovernor20

• USA, Florida, Lake Worth, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Brad.

Sounds something like what we go through with Hurricanes.