Author Topic: Keitt mango...slow wait  (Read 2013 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Keitt mango...slow wait
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
Please Let me know when your Keitts are starting to ripen...I'm hoping another 4 weeks for me here?I don't have many maybe 14 or so...

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Keitt mango...slow wait
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »
Fruits looking great, but no fruit protection device, Pug?
Hmm, lets hope the squirrels don't get to the fruits before you do...  :)
Sam

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
What did you have in mind for fruit protection.  I have some ripening too and dont want them to go to the beasts.
They love mango like me and dont realize I own the mango, or if they do, dont care.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
Oh, the Squirrels will know when they are close to ripening, and when they know you will know! lol   I live in central florida also and mine are months away from ripening.  My Valencia pride, kents, sweet tarts and lemon zest are not ripe yet so the keitt are going to be way behind these others.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Lol Samu thanks, believe it or not I have been using the produce clam shells on my Glenn and Cogshall ( it's abut a 50/50 in the "it works"  reviews, better than losing most of it to the stupid critters!!

No protection as of yet on the Keitts since they have not touched a single  one so far ( they definitely know which ones are ripening and when to attack). Might be closer to 6 weeks after checking my pics from last season. The colors on a few might are a false indication since those are the ones getting direct sun and are turning a nice blush. I don't have enough clam shells to protect them all, so the Keitts being a late variety works out. By the time the Cogshall and Glenn are done I have those to use on the Keitts ( a few less every years since they've been known to chew them up) if I don't get to them fast enough **sigh** I've used Duct Tape to slow them down  ;)

Orkine...its not foolproof by any means but it does slow them down a bit...

Picture from a few years ago...

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »
My Keitts are definitely behind the south florida trees, mine look like they have a few weeks left before their time.

if I don't get to them fast enough **sigh** I've used Duct Tape to slow them down

You mention duct tape...is this to repair the clamshells or is this an ingenious way of deterring squirrels? I was thinking one could put a circle of duct tape, sticky side up, on the tops of each mango where the squirrels come down to "test" the mangos!  :D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
I know people are afraid of losing any fruit but for those who have heard me before, I don't recommend the clam shells.  Think of this, what happens when you enclose something in plastic in the heat and/or sun....(hint: greenhouse)
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
Hi Floridays,

I use it to wrap the clamshell especially around the opening...I've seen it snap open when it falls. Like I mentioned it doesn't keep them away but slows them down just a bit  ::). I usually check the trees a few times a day so I can grab it before they get a chance to rip it open...its an endless battle but well worth it if I get to eat my own mangoes Lol...

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
I do agree with you Rob...but its the only thing that has worked for me with a little work  :) but I do appreciate your valuable advise, Thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:49:47 PM by puglvr1 »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
Good clamshells like the ones used for strawberries are the best ones and have great ventilation.  I personally never had a bad experience after using them for quite a few years. I would not compare them to a greenhouse situation unless you have low grade clamshells that are airtight which is highly unlikely. You can also cut plenty of ventilation holes in all sides and you will be fine.