Author Topic: How true are Sapodilla from Seed?  (Read 7315 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
How true are Sapodilla from Seed?
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Re: How true are Sapodilla from Seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
I have heard not a lot. Which is discouraging, since I have found them harder to graft with traditional techniques. I will keep experimenting grafting techniques till I find what works.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
I have heard not a lot. Which is discouraging, since I have found them harder to graft with traditional techniques. I will keep experimenting grafting techniques till I find what works.

Funny you should say that.

I have a grafted and VERY weird Tikal that's stunted. The rootstock caliper is much wider than the grafted scion and it's ~3 years old and has been in the ground about 8 months and has not grown a bit. I have a bunch of Makok seedlings that I'm going to experiment with.
Regards,

Gary

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
I had one sapodilla that was dwarfed, it was because just a small number of mites under the leaves were stunting the growth. After I killed them the tree perked up and grew a foot in a month.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »

air-layering works well for sapodilla

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »

Saps are commonly grafted here.  H ave not seen anyone airlayer them.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:37 PM »

Funny you should say that.

I have a grafted and VERY weird Tikal that's stunted. The rootstock caliper is much wider than the grafted scion and it's ~3 years old and has been in the ground about 8 months and has not grown a bit. I have a bunch of Makok seedlings that I'm going to experiment with.

Sounds like elephant foot on your Tikal.

Not sure how strong a rootstock a Makok seedling will be.
- Rob

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »
Thankyou to the one person who actually even attempted to answer my question. The rest of you need to learn how to not derail threads.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Thankyou to the one person who actually even attempted to answer my question. The rest of you need to learn how to not derail threads.

I feel there is not much input as it is not normally practiced.   I have heard of some people asking for seeds in locations where grafted plants are not available however i have not heard any results nor anyone state what is resulting from planting seeds.

If you have land and want to invest time, space and effort i guess it may be worth a try to see what the outcome is.  Otherwis ,  dont think i would waste the effort.
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »
I have what I think is a seedling plant and it produces very few fruits that are marble-sized. Less than 2cm diameter. I've had the tree for around 20 years. Not sure if the seed was from a larger fruit or not.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »
They are very true from seed in the sense that if you plant a sapodilla seed you are more likely to get a sapodilla than an anaconda.

On the other hand. seedlings often suck. A good number seem to never set fruit at all. A small percentage will be similar. If you have the space and time, have a crack as they are tough, but I wouldn't have high hopes for a seedling sapo. There are quite a few in the BG that look to be 20yo and never seem to flower or fruit.

Prices for grafted trees have skyrocketed in the past 3 years here.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 12:53:33 AM »
They are very true from seed in the sense that if you plant a sapodilla seed you are more likely to get a sapodilla than an anaconda.

On the other hand. seedlings often suck. A good number seem to never set fruit at all. A small percentage will be similar. If you have the space and time, have a crack as they are tough, but I wouldn't have high hopes for a seedling sapo. There are quite a few in the BG that look to be 20yo and never seem to flower or fruit.

Tell me about it--that's why I was considering a seedling  :(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:26:45 AM »

*bsbullie,  wanting an anaconda,  goes out and rips up his seedling sapodilla trees*
- Rob

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »

*bsbullie,  wanting an anaconda,  goes out and rips up his seedling sapodilla trees*

"My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun" - Anthony (Sir-Mix-Alot) Ray

A good friend says he has tried lots of sapodilla seedlings and they are never as good as the named varieties. I will likely rip mine out soon (I believe mine is on year 5 or 6) and replace it with a grafted. 

(To resume the tangent topic) I will probably attempt a few more grafts. I think sapodilla runs two issues, one the latex makes it harder to graft and two is that the scion seems to rot under the parafilm before it pushes new growth out. I believe the sapodilla may be a good variety to "graft and bag"

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 02:50:48 AM »

Tell me about it--that's why I was considering a seedling  :(

A grafted Sapodilla from Pakistan is around $8 in here and from Thailand about $15.

I think you should try to grow a few seedlings and then try to find a source for Scions.
Moh'd

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »

Saps are commonly grafted here.  H ave not seen anyone airlayer them.

Frankies on Oahu has been air layering sapodilla for many years, it was the first fruit he really started with

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
I have several seedlings from various varieties.  These are slow growing plants and imagine it will take more than a decade to fruit.  I am in a place with pretty strong constraints on importing plants so planted them.  If all else fails, I can top work off of trees at are doing well here (and there are some huge trees around).

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
So would anyone venture a guess on if I planted 25 of them on my parents' ranch, how many would I get that had most of the desirable attributes, like taste, fruit size, proliferation, heat/drought tolerance, etc? Or possibly, even better than the mother tree?

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:14:45 PM by michsu »