Author Topic: Arctic Freeze coming to California  (Read 17133 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Arctic Freeze coming to California
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
I was hoping we weren't due for one this year but it's starting, damage we'll depend on duration. Here in Arroyo Grande, Ca. local weatherman has us down for the following, Thurs.- Wed. 1/10-1/16 with morning low's @ 30f,29f,27f,26f,23f,24f,25f. :'( Seems how things go out here you get your new trees up and going and then comes the arctic blast. :( Wishing the rest of the Cal. folk's here all the warmth you can muster. 8) :-* By the way high's for this coming week or so will range in the high 40's to mid 50's.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Freeze coming to California
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
I am not liking this weather forecast at all.. I am going to have to do some serious work in the garden on Friday before dark. South Orange county weather.com forecasting that the temps are going down to FRI: 31, SAT: 30, SUN: 31, MON: 32.... Go away Mr. Winter!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:45 AM »
I agree and do not like this at all!  Temps in my area are predicted to get down to 33 this weekend. I can't remember when it was that cold around here!  I just hope that my microclimate stays a bit warmer than the predictions.

Richard

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »
I feel really bad for those north of Los Angeles, they are going to get the brunt of this cold air.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:53 AM »
yep, I'm afraid these next few days will define this winter for us.
Gather your weapons - Let the battle begin!!!!!

Woof Woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:17:08 AM »
We'll be ranging 28-32F with a 4 hour duration, so long as the wind settles down a little, I can handle it.

good luck!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »
You can buy an eletric heating wire used for terrariums and hang it all over the tree. Then pack it in a very cheap tent or make something of wooden sticks and carp and i think you can sure raise the temp some degrees.

I guess that is a much cheaper solution then buying new tree's for american prices.

I bought a heatingwire like that for like 10 us$ some years ago and it was like 8 metres 25foot long. They also sell longer ones.

If it is only for some cold nites then you can put buckets of warm water in the tent around the tree.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:00:21 AM »
Wow!!! That is cold. Hopefully us down here in south Florida don't get any of that. 88 here in Ft Myers yesterday.
Good luck guys, I wish you the best!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
Sorry guys!!  :(  We wish you all the best of luck you pull through with minimal damage...hoping for warmer temps than the predictions...

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »
Oh shit! I hope the forecast is completely wrong. I wish tou you guys that your trees will survive :)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
Wow. thanks for the heads up - I didn't realize the temps were going to go so low in the next few days.
I use wunderground.com for my weather reports and mostly ignore the local TV weather folks.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&zoom=11&query=92129

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
Well all is not as bad as first though, today's forecast is; Fri.-37F-56H, Sat. 33-57, Sun. 40-52, Mon.-36-58, Tues. 34-64,Wed.36-68. So, I don't know but I think my weatherman took a hit of the good stuff before he did yesterdays forecast!!! I can live with those temps. but he sure made me have a shity nights sleep concerned about my plants. Such is the life of growing on the edge. ::) 8)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
Well all is not as bad as first though, today's forecast is; Fri.-37F-56H, Sat. 33-57, Sun. 40-52, Mon.-36-58, Tues. 34-64,Wed.36-68. So, I don't know but I think my weatherman took a hit of the good stuff before he did yesterdays forecast!!! I can live with those temps. but he sure made me have a shity nights sleep concerned about my plants. Such is the life of growing on the edge. ::) 8)

that's good to know Scotty!

I still protected my blooming mangos ( specially my LZ and Pina Cola) and avocados, I don't want to lose the flowers. We are still at risk....those are very low temps for 5 days.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
At this rate my seedling jakfruit tree is going to be able to be grown in Alaska. Woot woot!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:33 AM »
 :-X

(xeno)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
Just got my electric bill and it's a whopper.
The extended nighttime hours, Christmas lighting and the little heater in my greenhouse battling all the cold nights have all played a part.
I think it's time to get a timer for the heater and reduce both the hours of use and the temp setting.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
I don't know if the weather forecast is accurate... But wunderground is saying there is a 20% chance of snow.... For Saturday night

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
Well, how did you guys make out?  I hope everyone did ok. Looks like more cold is coming your way. :(
Pics?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »
Only 37.9 at my house last night.....the warmest of the next 3 nights I understand.....
here we go!

Fang

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
I don't know if the weather forecast is accurate... But wunderground is saying there is a 20% chance of snow.... For Saturday night

are you moving pots around?  Like musical chairs on ice?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »

I'm doing it this evening. May end up moving most into the garage. Tonight is going to be the worst with gusty wind and temps around 32-36. Tomorrow night the wind dies down and the temp stays around 32-36, so I may move the plants back out in sheltered locations. I am pretty confident that the yard will trend 2-3 f over what they are saying. As for the snow, looks like its revised.. Will be no precipitation.

I am really starting to disregard a lot of the weather forecasts, AccuWeather seems to be more inline with what I am expecting. Lows in the mid 30s,  Friday and Saturday night the worst of the cold. weather.com has 31 as the low where underground has 32.

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »

I'm doing it this evening. May end up moving most into the garage. Tonight is going to be the worst with gusty wind and temps around 32-36. Tomorrow night the wind dies down and the temp stays around 32-36, so I may move the plants back out in sheltered locations. I am pretty confident that the yard will trend 2-3 f over what they are saying. As for the snow, looks like its revised.. Will be no precipitation.

I am really starting to disregard a lot of the weather forecasts, AccuWeather seems to be more inline with what I am expecting. Lows in the mid 30s,  Friday and Saturday night the worst of the cold. weather.com has 31 as the low where underground has 32.

It's really hard to know which websites are accurate.. yesterday just about every weather site I checked claimed it was going to be 32 last night.. well it turned out to be 38.. I still moved stuff around to protected areas  and watered a few things just in case.. the lack of frost may also be because of my micro climate.. I live on a hill top and we always have wind/air movement.. nothing looks damaged as of yet Hopefully that will continue.. I'd tolerate a few cold nights if we can get some warming next week!

I am trying to think of anything i have the is extremely cold sensitive .. probably the most cold sensitive is a mamey seedling started last year, and it's showed no signs of decline with the cold weather.. my green sapote looks fine.. even looks like it may be growing a bit.. mangos look good and banana is still pushing a flower... we shall see!

Oh and last week the app on my phone, and accuweather said it was snowing in vallejo.. lol i hopped out of bed and ran outside for a look but saw no snow! lol
I HATE WINTER!  ;D

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
Warm thoughts for you and your plants from Florida.  Having just driven from Las Vegas, through Big Bear Lake area and into LA during the week of Christmas to New Years Day, I was surprised to encounter the chill that we ran into.  Well no surprise in Big Bear and the surrounding mountains.....but Las Vegas was cold and LA was pretty darned chilly as well.  This new arctic air mass is a real bone chiller.  I hope you guys weather the cold without much damage.  The darned thing about cold damage is that it takes about 2 weeks to fully show itself after the thaw. Hang in there!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »
CAtropicals,

It looks ok over here. They are now forecasting 32 as the low. Going to just move up the plants against the walls, I actually want to safely stress them to cold. The yard has a good microclimate, so I think its going to sail through this cold. Going to reposition the container plants to provide shelter for the smaller seedlings as well.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
Warm thoughts for you and your plants from Florida.  Having just driven from Las Vegas, through Big Bear Lake area and into LA during the week of Christmas to New Years Day, I was surprised to encounter the chill that we ran into.  Well no surprise in Big Bear and the surrounding mountains.....but Las Vegas was cold and LA was pretty darned chilly as well.  This new arctic air mass is a real bone chiller.  I hope you guys weather the cold without much damage.  The darned thing about cold damage is that it takes about 2 weeks to fully show itself after the thaw. Hang in there!

Harry

it's pretty bad....my tropicals are being pushed to their limits. Mangos, Avocados and Annonas look fine, sapodilla are looking fragile and we still have this weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk