Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 621017 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Indoor gardening in small spaces... Fun times! ;) I actually rather love having green in my room during the winter. All that white fluffy stuff and bare-leafed trees are depressing.

I'm not sure why fresh local stuff isn't tasting all that great. I wonder if that's a Cultivar/type issue, or just a matter of the fruit not being ripe enough. Maybe a little of both?

It's just a cultivar issue . ... most of the world seems to prefer crunchy jackfruit, but I prefer softer.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
Hi, my name is Cassandra. I'm not in the greatest climate (zone 5B) for growing tropical fruit trees, but after I spent 6 weeks in Thailand last fall, I fell in love with a few! My favorites were longan. I planted a few seeds after I returned to the states and I now have three beautiful little longan trees. They seemed to do OK outside during the summer months, but I really think they prefer the indoors here because of some issues we have with high winds in their outdoor space. The other fruit I just love is jackfruit! I ended up receiving 32 seeds last month and thought, what the heck, I'll try planting. 31 out of the 32 have sprouted, and the most robust already have leaves on them. If they keep growing at this pace, the will soon be taller than my year-old longan!

Ideally, I would love to own a small greenhouse for them all, but that's just not possible in my location. I have all my trees on a large table in my room with a grow light suspended above them. I dunno how long this setup will last, depending on how tall the jackfruit get. I've brought in a heater, which I normally do for the winter, so this room should be at a minimum in the 70's.

I am here mainly because I have never grown anything tropical beyond these guys and I need all the pointers I can get.

Nice to meet you all!

P.S. Yes, I even have a Thai pepper plant in the mix now too. :)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »
Hi Cassandra!
Yippee!  Another crazy gal trying to grow tropicals in snow-land!

Carolyn

Valar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
Hi, new guy here
I live in London, UK but we have a house in Montego Bay, Jamaica
We have finished building a Wall/Veranda and had gates fitted and
now its time to do the garden... I know very little about gardening

On a recent visit I planted a Julie and an East Indian Mango tree
these seem to be the only ones available there, after browsing and reading
about all the other types of Mango I now want some more! I would like to get
a Pickering, Nam Doc Mai, Mallicka and Maha Chanok. The more I look into this
it seems that I am going to have to come to Miami to buy these in person and
then travel onward to Jamaica... 

So your problem is getting plants into Florida mine will be getting them out!

I have LOTS of questions if anyone could help me please

I look forward to mine time here... thanks

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Valar,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your home in Jamaica is going to look amazing when your finished (tropical fruit paradise in the future).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »
Welcome newcomers.  This forum is a great place to share ideas and learn different solutions to problems.  I noticed a number of you guys are from areas that are not very tropical.  Several of the posters have said they have green houses though.  I have done a lot of research with mangoes and can give you some suggestions that may help.  I have adapted a lot of ideas from other parts of the world to use with mangoes.  I have also used ideas for different crops to use on mangoes to advantage.  My first piece of advice is: think outside the box as the saying goes.  What works for me with mangoes may just work with your favorite plant or tree variety.  I have grown mangoes that are monster trees in the tropics just fine in containers so I can cross pollinate varieties because I need to move the mango trees around.  I use 15 gallon containers to grow and fruit mango trees.  If you have a dolly you can move them around, like into your greenhouse in Winter and out into your yard in Summer for instance. 
Tim Thompson

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
My name is Warren and I live in La Palma, CA. 
I am new to this forum and thought I would say hello...although I have read many of your mango posts throughout the last year.
I am an Electrical Engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. 
As a hobby, I am interested in growing mango trees.  All but one of my mango trees are in pots.  I have a 15 year old in-ground Glenn (what I believe to be a Glenn) and a potted 15gal Carrie, 5 gal Timotayo, 5 gal Keitt, 5 gal Manila (for grafting), and a 15 gal multi-grafted Alphonso/Valencia Pride/Glenn on a Haden seedling. 
I'm also very interested in MangoProfessor's new line of cold hardy mangos, but do not have any yet.
I've also been practicing the art of grafting over the last year, but have yet to be successful after several attempts.
I've lost several mango trees over the last few winters and am hoping to learn a lot from you all and have fun at my revitalized hobby. 
Warren

BRUGSCA

• Maui
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
I'm Carlo live in Oakland ca but have house and newly planted x 2yrs. 3acre orchard in haiku Maui at 900ft. Planted wind breaks and about 56 dwarf apple bananas and approx. 50 fruit trees incl variety citrus, mangoes, longan, sapotes, avos, sapodillas, cherries, and egg fruit. My 6 ft rollinia suddenly wholey died. I was off island x8 wks and recently turned off irrigation cuz water bill too high but also windy here times. I'm sad! But happy to be part of this forum! Oh and dragon fruit!

saksithsmile

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
My name is Saksith and I live in Thailand. I can speak Eng little.
I am interested in rare fruits.
In my country have a lot of local fruits ( mango, mangosteen, rambutan, durian, longan, jackfruit and... ). Every where have these friuts and I think it looks like apple or berry fruits in USA  so I try to looking for rare tropical fruits that look tasty  and sweet taste.
Now I m also interested in Inga edulis ( Ice cream bean) seeds. I think this forum is amazing. nice to see eveyone, Thank.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #809 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
In my country have a lot of local fruits ( mango, mangosteen, rambutan, durian, longan, jackfruit and... ). Every where have these friuts and I think it looks like apple or berry fruits in USA  so I try to looking for rare tropical fruits that look tasty  and sweet taste.
Now I m also interested in Inga edulis ( Ice cream bean) seeds. I think this forum is amazing. nice to see eveyone, Thank.

Welcome to the forum Saksith.  I find some irony in your introductory post.  There you have all the tropical fruits that we all crave and covet....and you are looking for Ice Cream Bean, something I stopped growing long ago because of its inferiority to almost all fruits that I can grow or have access to.  I assume that you have never had Ice Cream Bean and so your quest is in full swing.  Best of luck in your quest.  If you find it and try it and think it is going to taste like Ice Cream, you will be disappointed.  If you want a nitrogen fixing tree with a nice growth habit and fruit that has edible cottony flesh with a mild sweetness, then you may actually appreciate Ice Cream Bean.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

saksithsmile

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 14, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum Saksith.  I find some irony in your introductory post.  There you have all the tropical fruits that we all crave and covet....and you are looking for Ice Cream Bean, something I stopped growing long ago because of its inferiority to almost all fruits that I can grow or have access to.  I assume that you have never had Ice Cream Bean and so your quest is in full swing.  Best of luck in your quest.  If you find it and try it and think it is going to taste like Ice Cream, you will be disappointed.  If you want a nitrogen fixing tree with a nice growth habit and fruit that has edible cottony flesh with a mild sweetness, then you may actually appreciate Ice Cream Bean.

Hello, HMHausman.  I think nobody understand my Eng. I like your information very much. I m really crazy before now.  After I read  your suggestion it make my craving decreased. May be I will stop agonize to find them .  Thank you very much.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 14, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
No problem.  Happy to be of assistance.  Most of us on the forum have some measure of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when it comes to fruits and fruit trees.  We recognize this and embrace it. We have all had our "had to have" trees and plants for whatever reason that our brains conjured up triggering the mad rush to find our "had to have" plant material. Over the years of desiring, seeking and finding I have found much material that, in retrospect, did not warrant the time, mental energy and especially money that I put into the effort of locating and obtaining the sought after material. But, I always enjoyed the quest. 

Oh....have to run.  One of my friends is calling me about a new mango cultivar that I just have to have.   :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

saksithsmile

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 14, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
No problem.  Happy to be of assistance.  Most of us on the forum have some measure of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when it comes to fruits and fruit trees.  We recognize this and embrace it. We have all had our "had to have" trees and plants for whatever reason that our brains conjured up triggering the mad rush to find our "had to have" plant material. Over the years of desiring, seeking and finding I have found much material that, in retrospect, did not warrant the time, mental energy and especially money that I put into the effort of locating and obtaining the sought after material. But, I always enjoyed the quest. 

Oh....have to run.  One of my friends is calling me about a new mango cultivar that I just have to have.   :)

I don't totally understand but I feel funny. If you need new mango cultivar or other fruits  I may be support you. Where we can talk in this forum?   

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
Sawadee saksithsmile and welcome. I am sure you are interested in good tropical fruit not yet in Thailand and are trying to find out which fruit are nice. You can swap local sala,durian like laplae, mankut, maprang, noina.Look at jaboticaba,Eugenia,Garcinia,annona and many others from South America.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #814 on: November 14, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same taste buds as Harry. For example, in the book Fruit Hunters the author, Adam Gollner, describes ice cream bean as one of the best fruits he ever had. (BTW it was a fruit he tasted here from one of my trees.) Also it's not true that Thailand has all the tropical fruits we crave. They are extremely poor in fruits from South America: sapotes, jaboticabas, achachairu, and ofcourse all the ingas. Inga is a wonderful multi purpose tree so i would encourage you to introduce it and spread it in Thailand.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same taste buds as Harry. For example, in the book Fruit Hunters the author, Adam Gollner, describes ice cream bean as one of the best fruits he ever had. (BTW it was a fruit he tasted here from one of my trees.) Also it's not true that Thailand has all the tropical fruits we crave. They are extremely poor in fruits from South America: sapotes, jaboticabas, achachairu, and ofcourse all the ingas. Inga is a wonderful multi purpose tree so i would encourage you to introduce it and spread it in Thailand.

Thanks, Oscar, for pointing out the mistaken points in my response.  I want to clear up any misconception I may have created.  I was not trying to totally dissuade Saksith from buying seeds or planting Inga.  My comments were to point out an irony that I was feeling and to temper the view of the fruit in light of its very inaccurate name. I am certain that you have absolutely wonderful Ice Cream Beans....probably one of the best in the world. And Saksith, if you are planning to buy seeds, I would highly recommend Oscar for that purchase as a reliable source of excellent quality seeds. I do feel that this fruit has been romanticized or hyped by the English name chosen for it.  To most people, Ice Cream anything sounds really, really good. So any fruit that is named Ice cream is a must have to most collectors. Well, with all due respect to Oscar's Ingas and Mr. Gollner's hype in a book he is trying to sell, they just don't have any relation in flavor, texture or anything else to ice cream. So I am suggesting some tempering of the excitement based on my experience and my taste buds. Know one knows better than me that other people like things that I don't like.  However, if Gollner describes Ice Cream bean as one of the best fruits he has ever had, it causes me some pause to wonder.  Even the most ardent supporters of the Inga species that I have encountered in my few years of growing tropical fruits have ever said such a thing with a straight face. Oscar......would you agree with Gollner that Inga is "one of the best fruits in the world?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:50:52 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
Certain Inga..perfect ripeness  are really good.   One of those fruit you can pig out on...they just keep going in the mouth...cotton candy more like than ice cream as far as texture. Hint of vanilla  flavor?  This tree is an excellent for the orchard as well..one that u put in between the good ones.(n fix, coppiced very well, fodder, field food). And if they suck ass...just mulch um.
Gotta plant more than one..have some friends that have one tree...never fruit just flowers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

Thanks, Oscar, for pointing out the mistaken points in my response.  I want to clear up any misconception I may have created.  I was not trying to totally dissuade Saksith from buying seeds or planting Inga.  My comments were to point out an irony that I was feeling and to temper the view of the fruit in light of its very inaccurate name. I am certain that you have absolutely wonderful Ice Cream Beans....probably one of the best in the world. And Saksith, if you are planning to buy seeds, I would highly recommend Oscar for that purchase as a reliable source of excellent quality seeds. I do feel that this fruit has been romanticized or hyped by the English name chosen for it.  To most people, Ice Cream anything sounds really, really good. So any fruit that is named Ice cream is a must have to most collectors. Well, with all due respect to Oscar's Ingas and Mr. Gollner's hype in a book he is trying to sell, they just don't have any relation in flavor, texture or anything else to ice cream. So I am suggesting some tempering of the excitement based on my experience and my taste buds. Know one knows better than me that other people like things that I don't like.  However, if Gollner describes Ice Cream bean as one of the best fruits he has ever had, it causes me some pause to wonder.  Even the most ardent supporters of the Inga species that I have encountered in my few years of growing tropical fruits have ever said such a thing with a straight face. Oscar......would you agree with Gollner that Inga is "one of the best fruits in the world?"

I agree with you Harry that ice cream bean is not a very good name. But then again so many fruits have very bad common names, or confusing common names, and i think neither i nor you have any control over that. (BTW, does Ice Cream banana really taste like ice cream? How about Ice Cream mango, does it taste like ice cream?) Most people have suggested cotton candy bean would be a better name as they have similar kind of texture and quite sweet. I wouldn't describe it as one of the best fruits in the world, but i would describe it as one of the most versatile trees in the world: nitrogen fixing, attractive flowers all year long, attracts bees, can be used for coppicing and fertilizing other trees,  great for pioneering as will grow in the worst of soils, wood is usable, etc etc. and on top of all that you can also eat and enjoy the pods. Also this fruit is very big winner with kids. And there are certainly plenty of kids in Thailand. I don't think Gollner was hyping his reaction or  said that because he is trying to sell his books. He flew here straight from Toronto. So after being in frozen tundra land lots of fruits can taste really great...i would assume. Also i don't think Adam had yet tasted very many fruits back then. Personally i do really enjoy eating them and i have lots of other great fruits to choose from. And like Micah also said, can eat lots of them and still continue enjoying them.
Oscar

NaplesTransplant

• USA, FL, Naples. zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Dianne.  I am a retired acupuncturist.  Moved to SW FL a little over a year ago and have planted around 30 fruit trees.  I am so glad to find this site so that I can avoid some of the mistakes I have been making.  I have citrus, star fruit, macadamia, a sickly looking fuyu persimmon, guava, bananas, figs, peach, apple, kiwi hardy kiwi, sapodilla, pomegranate, juju be, strawberry tree and tamarind.  My trees are all small but I have gotten a fruit or two from a few.  The hardest thing right now is trying to control those white weevils, leaf miners and trying to figure out how to get the soil up to par.  We have sulfur in the water and very sandy, alkaline soil.  If anyone has any tips for me it would be so appreciated.  So far I have been using neem for the insects and its barely keeps them at bay.

Nutrecul Agroforestry

• D.R.Congo & Belgium
    • View Profile
    • Nutrecul Agroforestry & Treculia Research Centre
« Reply #819 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
My name is Jean. I'm an agronomist from Congo & Belgian origine. Living 6 months a year in Congo and 6 months in Belgium.

I'm CEO at www.nutrecul-agroforestry.com and mercenary parkranger for the AWDF (african wildlife defence force).

Greetz

Jean (John)
Ceo Nutrecul
https://www.facebook.com/NutreculAgroforestry
http://www.nutrecul-agroforestry.com/

Nutrecul Agroforestry - Treculia Research Centre

IM NO LONGER ACTIVE ON FORUMS. PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH MY ORGANIZATION. THANKS.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
Welcome to all our new members.  Talk about diversity of location and vocation.....an acupuncturist in Naples and an agronomist/parkranger in Congo.....does it get any more diverse than that?  Happy to have such a wide range of people on the forum.  Happy growing and, of course, posting everybody!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 26, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
Yes, welcome and thank's to join! This fórum is geting better with all this diversity!  ;)

Carlos Jimenez

• USA. Florida Bodwar Miramar
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 01, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Hi every body I'm Carlos Live in Miramar FL.
Can somebody tel my de addres of elsy's plants nursery in Broadwar FL.quote author=murahilin link=topic=21.msg81#msg81 date=1326672440]
Hi Everyone,
Since this is a new forum I think we should have an introductory post for old and new members alike.
[/quote]

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
Greetings,
I'm Jonah. I enjoy caring for fruiting plants and exploring the woods and beaches. Some of my favorites are the citrus, Avocado, Guava, White Sapote, the hybrid berries in my garden, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Dragonfruit, Passion Fruit, Loquat, Cereus Cactus, Pakistan Mulberry, Peaches, Figs, and Cherry's I manage.
In my Greenhouse I have Jaboticaba, Cabelluda, Babaco and Granada Papaya, miracle fruit, and lots of babies that are currently wintering in there. I have terraced a fruit orchard in the Redwood and Oak hillside that is very steep and challenging at times but I am happy to have a place to grow fruit.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 04, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
Greetings,
I'm Jonah. I enjoy caring for fruiting plants and exploring the woods and beaches. Some of my favorites are the citrus, Avocado, Guava, White Sapote, the hybrid berries in my garden, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Dragonfruit, Passion Fruit, Loquat, Cereus Cactus, Pakistan Mulberry, Peaches, Figs, and Cherry's I manage.
In my Greenhouse I have Jaboticaba, Cabelluda, Babaco and Granada Papaya, miracle fruit, and lots of babies that are currently wintering in there. I have terraced a fruit orchard in the Redwood and Oak hillside that is very steep and challenging at times but I am happy to have a place to grow fruit.
Hi Bush2Beach congratulations! It would ne nice to see your wonder pics!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:22:25 AM by Luisport »