Author Topic: Our first home grown Sweet Tart. NOW, we know what all the fuss is about!!!!!!!  (Read 2200 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Now we know what everyone is talking about!!! DAMN! We have never tasted anything so fine, so exotic and complex. You just can't stop wanting more. Doesn't taste like any "mango" we've had either, probably cause store bought are no good and the breeder Gary Zill is sooooo GOOD at what he does. Wife didn't like Mallika. She loves this. Rob was right, it was a bit over-ripe but not mushy.  No fiber.  Brix = 19*. Will pick one tonight that is just showing color for the wife who'll make her famous mango salsa using red onion, serranos, etc.

Using a large S/S spoon it was easy to scoop out most of the meat as a big chunk.  I put an edge on one side of the spoon with a WorkSharp and 80 grit belt, then a 220.

Eyes closed, gnawing on a bone like a dog, I'm in mango heaven! 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Awesome. The quality should get even better as the tree matures as you are already aware. Sweet Tart is an awesome mango! I like the flesh when it is still firm.

Simon

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Now we know what everyone is talking about!!! DAMN! We have never tasted anything so fine, so exotic and complex. You just can't stop wanting more. Doesn't taste like any "mango" we've had either, probably cause store bought are no good and the breeder Gary Zill is sooooo GOOD at what he does. Wife didn't like Mallika. She loves this. Rob was right, it was a bit over-ripe but not mushy.  No fiber.  Brix = 19*. Will pick one tonight that is just showing color for the wife who'll make her famous mango salsa using red onion, serranos, etc.

Using a large S/S spoon it was easy to scoop out most of the meat as a big chunk.  I put an edge on one side of the spoon with a WorkSharp and 80 grit belt, then a 220.

Eyes closed, gnawing on a bone like a dog, I'm in mango heaven! 

nice congrats! still waiting for my tree to mature you should patent your mango spoon :)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Man, Mark your pic's make my mouth water with envy!!Congrat's on your first harvest 8)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Spoon it out like avocado is one option, but I would try as orange wedges also. Working on the wedge one can taste the difference from center to near skin.

Mark's fruit still has lots of green skin but inside seems to be on the over-ripe side. So the question is when to pick by the look and smell?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Mark I have a good size 15 Gal ST in the ground !
Can't wait till nextt season .

Enjoy !

Ed
Zone 10

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mark, does the tree have any new shoots while holding the fruits?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Congratulations on your Sweet Tart success and first tasting from your own tree. One of the few ST trees in Texas I am sure. Though it's too sweet for salsa....my opinion.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Thanks amigos, this is really fun.  You newbies to this fruit are in for a treat.

Simon, if it gets any better gonna blow a gasket!  ;D

Mark, does the tree have any new shoots while holding the fruits?

Yes but they don't look very robust which suggests the fruit has sapped some vigor.  This is a small young tree grafted last year but in a big 509 gal. bottomless pot.  It set a lot of fruit but I probably should have dropped all but say.....2-4.  At least I have 8 to play with regarding choice of coloration.

Zands, this tree was grafted by a Texan tropical fruit guru and given to me at an Austin scion exchange last year.  You guys would be shocked as to how many mango growers there are in Texas.  A large Houston nursery by the name of JRN has many mangos which includes Zill varieties.  Valley (border) nurseries, Corpus Christi, many cities sell them and other fruits like sapote, avocado, lychee, jaboticaba, coffee, etc. plus there's a lot of scion exchanging going on among friends.  I'm going to share my left over Zill scions with others.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jrn-nursery-houston

Zands, makes great salsa.  I have TART key limes that make for a great salsa balance (and key lime pie).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:43:05 AM by Mark in Texas »