Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620767 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2012, 02:17:08 AM »
Hi Fang, Berns, Ronald, Andre and other new members joining since I last checked this topic!
You are all welcome to the forum; hope for some interesting new people and fruit acquaintances!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

NatureBoy

• Zone 10b/Boynton Beach, Fl
  • Palm Beach County, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi, my name is Bill.   

I live in South Florida (Boynton Beach) after moving from Chicago many years back (via Jacksonville & Tampa, Fl).
I'm currently in Zone 10b, which is far enough south for me as I can grow my favorites without too much trouble.

I have a small home, but already have (too) many  fruit trees in my yard.
Always love trying new fruits - but my current faves are lychees and mangos (currently in season - duh!).
After reading some of the comments on this board, next to try are Jackfruit and Atemoyas.

I've got several producing mango trees (Dot, Hatcher and Hayden).   
I'd love to top-work the Hayden  to give me a better varieity.
Have not started grafting yet, but want to learn from the experts (and it looks like this is the place!)

I've also got a Sweetheart lychee, a pomegranate, Temple Orange, Key Lime, Jaboticaba , blackberries, multiple pineapples, bannanas/plantains.
Not much room for anything else in my yard, but I'm not having much luck with the orange tree, so I may have a spot opening soon  :)  Recommendations are always welcome.

I look forward to learning a lot from this fine group, and hope that I'll be able to contribute as well.

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone, really seems to be the place for vibrant discussions on our favorite topic.
Harry, I seem to be in the same boat as you as my crop of lychees this year seems to be the smallest I have had in many years.
Thanks again for all the welcome posts.
Ronald

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »
YIPPEE more fellow members  :)

Hi Fang and Bill

Welcome/Bem-vindo/Bienvenido/Bienvenu/Ngiyakwemukela to the forum ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:09:22 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
 ;D Hello everyone!

My name is Chris and I'm on the westernmost point in all of U.S. domain...Guam, USA--"Where America's Day Begins". I guess it's because we're the first U.S. citizens to meet each day? And no, I can't tell you what your day will be like. LOL! I make my home on this tiny island in a small town called Dededo, surrounded by my tropical fruit trees/seedlings. My yard is quite small but I've managed to pack quite a few representatives of my favourite fruits on it. Even if the island was previously plagued by some of the most powerful typhoons/hurricanes on planet earth, global climate change is arguably the cause for our ongoing record breaking stretch of typhoon-free years, and me and my fruit trees are not complaining ;). While I don't have half of what you pro's are growing, I do have a few typical or commonly grown fruits. The majority of plants are currently in pots and just seedlings, so not much for show-n-tell...unfortunately. Glad to have found this forum and I look forward to learning/sharing more on what I enjoy most! Growing (and eating) tropical fruits :D

Btw, just had the last of some locally grown Edwards (early variety)-- which were superb in taste (as usual) but strangely lacking in scent. YUM!..... In a few days I'll be heading down to our annual mango festival and I'll be sure to take some pics to share! It's not much to boast about but of main interest to me is the numerous unnamed mango varieties which are sprinkled across the entire island.

Cheers!
Chris
✌🏽

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »
Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard fellow Islander :)

Can't wait to see them pics of your annual mango festival ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Steven  :)
As for the festival, I'm almost sure that none of them will have any names, as mango seeds have historically been planted at random across the island. The diversity of types I'm coming across is staggering but without any real effort to identify them all, named mango cultivars are extremely rare. It's two weeks away and I can't wait!

Chris
✌🏽

mangologist

• Capt Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
Hi everyone, I just an old warthog rooting his way through gardens and compost piles.  Enjoy growing tropical fruit trees, but most of all eating the fruit.  I am joining this site hoping to increase my knowledge and exposure to rare and new tropical fruit trees.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
A warm welcome to Mangologist, Bill, Chris, Micahel, Andre, Fang and Bill again.  Nice to have you all.  I am especially interested in Fang's lychee perspective having come from the home of lychees.  I look forward to all of your contributions.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
Adacaosky------ Chris, welcome you have so many fruit trees there in Guam. Thanks for putting your pin on the our forum map. Everyone please do this so we can get an idea what your latitude, sunlight and climate is.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:31:09 PM by zands »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Steven  :)
As for the festival, I'm almost sure that none of them will have any names, as mango seeds have historically been planted at random across the island. The diversity of types I'm coming across is staggering but without any real effort to identify them all, named mango cultivars are extremely rare. It's two weeks away and I can't wait!

Chris
Hi Chris,
 :)
Amongst the endless sea of mangoes in your Island paradise...I'm sure there is varieties that are superb and very sweet.  ;) 8)
Time is like a river.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Brandon.

I have a 1/2 acre property in Davie, FL.  I planted my first fruit tree, a Glenn mango, around 7 years ago.  It was a gift from my mother.  Slowly the addiction built into what can only be described as an obsession.  I have around 35 fruit trees. The average age of the trees is around 2 years so I am still waiting to try many of the things I have planted.  I have 7 mangos, 2 jackfruit, 2 lychee, 2 sugar apples, 1 atemoya, 1 rollinia, 1 star fruit, 1 jabotica, 2 mulberry, 1 sapodilla, 5 citrus, 1 longan, 2 peach, and figs.

I was introduced to the forum by Sleepdoc. Our families got together this weekend.  I was really impressed by his trees, they all looked healthy and happy.  I got to try a Mai I jackfruit, hog plum, and Edwards mango. 

I am looking forward to sharing and learning from this forum.
Brandon

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
Hi Mangologist and Brandon,

Welcome to the forum ;) :)
Time is like a river.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
Welcome, Brandon.  What are the other mangoes you're growing other than Glenn?  Was that a Mai 1 jakfruit or a Mai 1 seedling jakfruit you tried at SleepDoc's?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
Harry,

I believe sleepdoc said it was a Mai I seedling from your tree.  It was delicious.  Low latex.  I bought a Mai I grafted at the brfvc sales without ever tasting one so I was really grateful to get a glimpse of what is to come. Thanks!

My mango trees are PPK, florigon, keitt, kent, ndm, dot (I think this was mislabelled), and Glenn.
Brandon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
Welcome Brandon !

Glad to see you on the forum  :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
Harry,

I believe sleepdoc said it was a Mai I seedling from your tree.  It was delicious.  Low latex.  I bought a Mai I grafted at the brfvc sales without ever tasting one so I was really grateful to get a glimpse of what is to come. Thanks!

My mango trees are PPK, florigon, keitt, kent, ndm, dot (I think this was mislabelled), and Glenn.

Very nice mango selection, Brandon.  You are definetly keeping very good company on the fruit front.  Glad you enjoyed the jak!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
Welcome all new members.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! It's good to be in the company of tropical fruit enthusiasts :)
✌🏽

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
Lordy....who can keep up with so many new members!

Don't know when I last came to this introduction Subject, but I'm blown away by the sheer volume of interest.  So, welcome everyone.

I only want to say to Fang from China - Love that name!

Fanged in Palm Springs, CA

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
Hi everyone im Natalie from New Zealand, im interested in growing different fruit trees and veges.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Hi Natalie, what are your fruit interests? I see you like lychee and mango from the other thread.

What's the import situation like over in New Zealand? Any restrictions?

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Hi for plants i have to have a permit thingy, but for seeds i think it needs a phytosanitary cert i think

Prasad

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
Hi,

I am living in San Jose CA, love gardening, trying to get tropical plants around my home, have banana, sugar cane, mango so far.. trying hard to bring up coconut...Have 30 or so Rose bushes in my front yard...keeps me busy over the weekend. Have a nice greenhouse built to grow veggies across winter...little success in this first season!
I  have started loving Avocados and started experimenting few varieties. I have a tree in ground, grown from seedling, about 3 years old, about 10ft tall and it looks very hardy, healthy throughout the seasons. Bought few verities from nursery and started grafting on to my old tree. After couple of months I have a feeling that I have success.
I am curious  to grow avocados that are  not tried for this zone.  Somehow try and get it to acclimatize and grow as special case.. I have a greenhouse for some of these experiments.  I was told we can't  grow banana in San Jose CA but have them around and got enough to eat :) Gave away so many pups.
Hopefully I am helpful to this forum one day!
Prasad

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
Hi Prasad,

Welcome to the forum :)
Time is like a river.