Author Topic: Has anyone pugged a lychee tree?  (Read 1127 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Has anyone pugged a lychee tree?
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:41 PM »
My two young lychee trees got torched during the recent Florida freezes. I have leave drop and some cracks in the bark. Has anyone pugged a small lychee tree and had it flush back out?  I've done this with mango with success and was wondering if it would work for lychee?

Thanks,

Shawn

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone pugged a lychee tree?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »
shawn, sorry to hear about the damage to your lychees. are you pugging to try to improve chance of recovery or because you want to alter the shape/canopy of the tree? my gut feeling from killing a bunch of lychees in the past is to not do anything and hope it comes back.

i know pugging has been mentioned in posts before, but i don't recall if anyone has actually done it before and reported back.

i've caused a number of lychees to defoliate to almost 100%. they always bounce back except when it happened in the late fall when the tree was going into dormancy.

i'll note that when they lost all their leaves, i don't recall them having growth below the first bifurcation. these were medium size trees, (trunk 2-3 cm diameter) though

edit: added photo of mauritius

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:20:14 AM by andrewq »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone pugged a lychee tree?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
I suggest waiting for it to warm up a bit and just prune off dead wood....if you want to pug it so it would come back all pretty again probably better off buying a new plant..... they recover super slow or even die  if you do anything too dramatic especially if its a young tree

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk