Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Erdon Lee and Giant Seedless Lychhess a dilemma

(1/18) > >>

Mike T:

You may remember me talking about Erdon Lee lychees before like the ones in my hand here. They sure are big and of high quality but so few trees are in circulation yet that getting a tree of my own has been difficult.
The Jumbo Seedless lychee is equally glamorous being a crisper type described as having a long shelf life and of excellent taste with a hint of pineapple.
The eagle has landed and I have Seedless and an Erdon Lee marcot after much effort. I don't know if I have enough room for both and I might be a fraction too warm for them so they might fruit only erratically as I need to get below 10c regularly in winter. I don't seem to be able to post pics in this response at the moment but will show you what I have.

Mike T:

Looks like its hard to post pics currently but one made it through. The seedless averages around 46g and has a maximum size of around 80g so is intermediate between Fai zee sui big fruiting selections and Erdon Lee in size but the fruits are still whoppers.
My dilemma is should I just try to squeeze two in knowing I don't really have room and they might not even fruit. The trees were too hard to get to get to just let go of them.

Mike T:

They are only small yet and in spite of the title error I can spell lychee.

achetadomestica:
The tree on the right I think the erdon Lee was an interesting branch to airlayer!
Was it one single branch that immediatley branches out and is slightly covered?

I am at a similar point in my yard where I removed a second Silas Wood and
second Na Dai sugar apple to make room for my new must have acquistions. Is there a
plant in your yard that can be removed? If not another idea is to plant one in a friend's
yard. Both the Silas Wood and sugar apple ended up at one friends house and I have another
oddly shaped lychee that I want to replace with one I airlayered.  I wish I had your
dilemma I would find room and not over crowd the two trees. I also have a non productive
Sue Belle white sapote that could get removed.

Mike T:
Good point and I have 2 mature mandarins which bear pretty well. A honey murcott and an emperor might be able to volunteer their spots but its a big job to chop them down. I have a giant mulchi which has ben compromised by jungle fowl disturbance and a big Luc's that never fruited while 2 smaller ones have. If they get reassigned mulch patrol it is still a gamble that the lychees won't fruit. I guess you gotta take chances. I don't know why the Erdon Lee branch was marcotted being so forked down low. The both are in fact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version