Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170798 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
For those of you that have experience growing these trees and have seen mature trees, how far would you space the trees?  Or better question is how close can I plant them
Together and be okay?  I have limited space.  I was thinking maybe 10-15 ft apart??

Luc?  Raul?
Highly recommend keeping those babies in a pot for quite a while. They really appreciate dappled light when small and grow really slowly at first. So i wouldn't plant them right into the ground for quite a while. Suggest waiting till they are at least a foot tall.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »
For those of you that have experience growing these trees and have seen mature trees, how far would you space the trees?  Or better question is how close can I plant them
Together and be okay?  I have limited space.  I was thinking maybe 10-15 ft apart??

Luc?  Raul?
Probably more Iike 15, the ones in the shade like in the jungle doesn't spread much, one single trunk heading up, they like some shade I guess even when adults or maybe I suppose that cause the only adult trees I've seen are those, anyhow is a slow grower that to get giant probably will need 40/50years...
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
Here are  couple of videos of last week I went with my friend fruit collector lalo for picking Luc's Limoncillo, it was king of early cause most fruit was greens, so is very difficult to spotted on the tree, once they ripe color change to yellow, we'll come back in a couple weeks to see if we can find the bronze color tree, the nice thing is that we find a tree that gives fruit elongate kind of oval instead of the traditional regular ones which fruits were really sweet, so we want to comeback and try most fruit of the tree to see if this is constant or just it was a single fruit, h9pe y9u enjoy this trees are in the mountains in the wild...
http://youtu.be/Sh-sIJnz_r0
http://youtu.be/QEOfY_vsTfY
El verde es vida!

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Can they be placed in full light after they reach 1 foot tall?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
I will go with 30/40% shade and little by little go towards full sun probably at 1 meter high or more, in their natural environment they grow in shade but that doesn't means that's the rule, probably there's lot of potential for experimental  with this specimen as it has only been found in the wild..
El verde es vida!

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
Raul, thank you for sharing the videos.  8)

Its really nice to see large, full grown specimens in their natural habitat.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
Several years ago ( 3 to 4 don't remember exactly )  I planted about 200 seeds just to experiment with . Over a 1 to 3 months wait I had 100 % germination , some came up very fast others took their time ...

Then I transplanted some in deep containers ( 50 - 60 cm ) others in 30 cm tall nursery bags and one ( yes only one ) directly in the ground ( when it was 30 cm tall ) close to other trees ( 3 meters away from some Biriba on one side and Ross sapote on the other ) that I check every day or 2 and obviously pamper .... The soil really sucks and I don't fertilize except when I have to take a leak ...lol... They do get water every 2 days .

Results :

Those in 30 cm nursery bags where basically totally neglected , water when I remember ....even totally dried out they survive ( we have an 8 month dry season ) are 40 cm.

Those in deep containers , some shade and regular water once a week are more than double the size ( 80 cm to 1 meter )

The one in the ground and in full sun as a 30 cm baby is now over 2 meters . I do notice that it requires more water having a full sun exposure . Most of the wild trees , as you may have noticed in Raul's videos grow close to a brook / river .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Luc

This is good info!  I have seedlings coming up nicely.  I notice ones kept in m friend's greenhouse over the winter growing much more vigorously than the one I have in the ground.  Big leaves and lots of them.  The one in the ground is surrounded by sweet potatoe leaves and probably 50% shade.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
I purchased 10 seeds from luc last May, and all germinated. I transferred them to pots that were 15" deep and shaded
with 40% shadecloth and in a small greenhouse during cold snaps. They are now about 7 inches tall. A few of them had the
tap root growing though the bottom hole and I placed the pot in another pot that added 10 or so inches to see how quickly
 the tap root reaches the bottom hole again.
Michael

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »

Just a few pics of mine... These are both just under 3 yrs old tallest one is just over 3feet tall and flushing like crazy
Joe

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »

Just a few pics of mine... These are both just under 3 yrs old tallest one is just over 3feet tall and flushing like crazy

Nice!
Michael

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
Raul

thanks for posting the excellent videos of the Limoncillo in it's natural habitat!

I feel like I could learn to speak Spanish in a week, if I was searching for rare fruit trees in Mexico!  I could understand most of what your friend was saying!

Keep posting more videos, I love them!

:)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2016, 11:59:26 PM »
Mine are so slow-growing, they look like fakes. Lol, for comparison, my mangosteen puts new leaves out with better frequency.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
In my walkings through the limoncillos habitat,  I have noticed trees that don't produce fruit or another that produce little amounts of fruits, don't know if is because they are shaded among the other trees or because our 7 month dry season, another group produce the regular amount of fruit, and very few are prolific, I have been able to locate 3 trees that have some characteristics different from the rest, one of them is Sharpy, the fruits are elongated as oppose to the regular round ones, the flavor is more strong concentrated, very sweet and tartness, with the sweetness predominant 70/80% in ripe fruits.
 Sweety : a regular round one with a light orange shoulder as oppose
To the regular yellow color, the flavor is 100% sweet, no acidity on the full ripe ones
Prolific: with an abundant crop of regular fruits, which are very good on itself,
In the next week I will go back to the same area to explore a little beat more and report back...

Sweetie on the left and Sharpie on right

Sharpy

Next to Garcinia Brasiliensis

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:02:59 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »
Very cool video's Raul! Thanks for posting.  :)
It's somehow exciting to see how a new fruit is discovered. It's too bad I cannot grow this one in my climate, but I'm fully in on the discovery! Keep up the good and fun work!  ;D

Solko

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
In my walkings through the limoncillos habitat,  I have noticed trees that don't produce fruit or another that produce little amounts of fruits, don't know if is because they are shaded among the other trees or because our 7 month dry season, another group produce the regular amount of fruit, and very few are prolific, I have been able to locate 3 trees that have some characteristics different from the rest, one of them is Sharpy, the fruits are elongated as oppose to the regular round ones, the flavor is more strong concentrated, very sweet and tartness, with the sweetness predominant 70/80% in ripe fruits.
 Sweety : a regular round one with a light orange shoulder as oppose
To the regular yellow color, the flavor is 100% sweet, no acidity on the full ripe ones
Prolific: with an abundant crop of regular fruits, which are very good on itself,
In the next week I will go back to the same area to explore a little beat more and report back...

Sweetie on the left and Sharpie on right

Sharpy

Next to Garcinia Brasiliensis

Awesome stuff. Seeing these pics means a lot to all of us interested I'm sure. Do you happen to have a picture of the fruit of the scions you sold recently?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2016, 02:07:19 AM »
Dumb question so it should be ok if I dug it a hole where it's predominantly clay?   Dug some test holes on neighbors lot and did the water test.   Took a while to drain out couple gallons. Hopefully this will be okay for my one plant.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
Dumb question so it should be ok if I dug it a hole where it's predominantly clay?   Dug some test holes on neighbors lot and did the water test.   Took a while to drain out couple gallons. Hopefully this will be okay for my one plant.

Mix in a lot of black cinder to help with drainage. Suggest 1/3 cinder, 1/3 clay soil, 1/3 macnut or other compost.
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2016, 07:02:54 AM »

Mix in a lot of black cinder to help with drainage. Suggest 1/3 cinder, 1/3 clay soil, 1/3 macnut or other compost.

Will do.  Thanks!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »
I've made an interesting observation that this plant seems to respond well to cytokine treatment. I made an experiment with 4 plants were of 2 were treated with a 30ppm solution of Zeatin with teh hopes that I could stimulate the rate of cell division in the apical meristem. One month later I'm seeing these results:

We'll see what happens in the future but I'm planning on letting the new leafs harden of then applying a second dose of 20ppm. I'll have to experiment more but maybe Garcinas have adapted to produce low amounts of plant hormones and that application on seedlings could speed up initial growth. Would be interesting to see results with GA3 and IAA too.

Any update on this experiment?

I was also wondering if anyone has considered treating the seeds with colchicine or other newer chemical to create a polyploid plant. The fruit of a polyploid plant may be seedless. The fruit from a regular plant pollinated with this polyploids pollen may also be seedless. This is a similar concept to how they create seedless watermelons.

Simon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
Here's mine.  I'm 6'1" and it's about chest high.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:42:22 PM by Sleepdoc »

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
Sleepdoc:
One of my seedlings is about that same size still potted though. I'm thinking about putting it in the ground as well (I'm in Sw Ranches right near you). How has it grown for you in the soil compared to pot culture? Same, slower, faster?
You have it with some shade or full sun?

Thanks,
Keith

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
Keith,

Mine has been in the ground since it was about 6 inches tall.  It struggled a bit at first, but over the past 2 years it's been happy.  It's planted near some mangos and mulberrys, and gets dappled/filtered light probably 80% of the day and direct sun 20% of the day.  As it continues to grow I may trim the mango/ mulberry in such a way to favor more light reaching Luc's Garcinia.  It is planted in a unique area of my yard that has fairly moist and dark soil.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
Keith,

Put it in the ground. I have two planted for the last 8 months in full sun and windy area across from the horse park and they are doing just as good as the ones in pots under shade. Now that the rainy season is here, I am sure they will take off. I have new growth coming out of barely hardened growth.  If you have it under shade and plan to plant it in full sun, move it gradually over a few weeks.
Brandon

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks. Into the ground it goes this weekend.
Keith