Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170914 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
Hi all , I feel it's time to share some more info about the Luc's Mex. Garcinia . My orchard is right in the area where they grow wild , so in the beginning I was not really interested in this fruit , I am talking now about more than 15 years ago closer to 20 . I really liked them BUT in these days I wanted to grow the real rare exotics , mostly from S. America the Amazon , Asia etc...( the grass is always greener next door ...right )

When my adopted Mexican daughters finally convinced me I should buy a computer ( I am really an old fashion guy and was still stuck in the time of Telex , most of you probably have no idea what I am talking about , these perforated strips of paper ....kinda like a Morse code....lol...) the world opened for me ...I learned about Garcinia's and looking at images on line I figured this must be a Garcinia . The rest is history.

Now , about the fruit itself....there is no such thing as a regular , good , or better . There is a difference in size , yes , depending on where it grows , we do have a lot of cattle running loose and they seek shade and poop under these trees , guess what ...lots of slow release fertilizing . Fruits / seeds carried by birds and bats are dropped all over , some dropped in the right areas close or next to a brook / river equals better soil and lots of humidity and water = larger fruit  .

All of them when perfectly ripe are a delight and really sweet , all at this stage are more orange than yellow . I must say that I also like the fruits in their yellow stage ( not 100 % ripe ) they have more of a lemon taste , that's why the locals call them Limoncillo .

The only thing I cannot explain is the shape in some fruits , even on the same tree , some are more pointed and some are more round . But I see the same thing on my Abiu's .

Talking to quite a few people from Agro Universities in Mexico , trying to ID this fruit , we didn't get anywhere....but most agreed verbally , without committing themselves , it could be a ssp of G. intermedia . One of our Italian members will be doing some DNA tests and will probably post it in the group .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »
A sweet selection of G intermedia sounds great. There are several photos that you and Raul posted of some very large fruit so at least we know the potential size it can reach. Perhaps we can get consistently large fruit if this species is raised on a commercial farm. Thanks for the information Luc!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2016, 04:11:03 AM »
I'm no taxonomist but still i somehow doubt that Luc's garcinia is a sub species of intermedia. The fruits are too different, the leaves are too different, and the seeds are too different.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
Thanks Luc, for infor on your selection 'Luc Garcinia', I have a couple seedlings about 18" tall sure love the new growth color.Beauiful plant and hopefully some day maybe fruit! ;) 8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
I'm no taxonomist but still i somehow doubt that Luc's garcinia is a sub species of intermedia. The fruits are too different, the leaves are too different, and the seeds are too different.

And flowers are different too! I've only seen androgynous flowers on intermedia...doesn't Lucs make male and female (or androgynous) ?

I agree 1000% with Fruitlovers
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2016, 03:07:59 AM »
I got four trees in the ground. One is 8 feet tall, the others are 7, 6, 5 feet tall. No sign of flowers on any of them. I gave them a shot of 0-0-50. Hope that helps to get them to flower soon.
Oscar

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
I got four trees in the ground. One is 8 feet tall, the others are 7, 6, 5 feet tall. No sign of flowers on any of them. I gave them a shot of 0-0-50. Hope that helps to get them to flower soon.

Any pics of your trees Oscar?
Joe

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »

And flowers are different too! I've only seen androgynous flowers on intermedia...doesn't Lucs make male and female (or androgynous) ?

I agree 1000% with Fruitlovers
I agree 1000% also flesh color is different, Intermedia is white translucent  while Limoncillo is pale yellow which cannot see through...
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2016, 04:43:32 AM »

Any pics of your trees Oscar?
Haven't taken any photos recently, but here's a photo taken just over a year ago, will give you some idea:

Oscar

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
Beautiful, and so healthy looking!
Michael

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2016, 07:21:45 AM »
I am going to repost this here as i realize i posted it in wrong thread about Lucangosteen. Sorry if you've already seen it.

I took this photo today. It is of the largest of a row of Lucangosteens i have planted. This plant is about 7 feet tall. The others a bit smaller. They are in full sun.

wow what a beautiful plant.How old is the tree oscar?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
I guess that tree is about 6 years old.
Oscar

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
I have a small seedling of Luc´s garcinia, 50 cm tall. This weekend I noted the trunk has a few cracks, and an yellow goma exudes from them. Is it normal? Somebody already experienced this?
If it isn´t normal, there´s something I can do to cure the seedling?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #238 on: November 22, 2016, 03:11:55 AM »
I have a small seedling of Luc´s garcinia, 50 cm tall. This weekend I noted the trunk has a few cracks, and an yellow goma exudes from them. Is it normal? Somebody already experienced this?
If it isn´t normal, there´s something I can do to cure the seedling?
It's normal
Lot of garcinias exude this resin
Called "Gamboge"

It's used medicinally and for industrial purposes (as yellow pigment for dying)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:16:25 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
It's normal
Lot of garcinias exude this resin
Called "Gamboge"

It's used medicinally and for industrial purposes (as yellow pigment for dying)

thank you my friend!  8)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2016, 08:31:53 AM »
The rate of growth and size for my one year old seedling I cant even imagine it being the size of Oscars one in 20 years  :'( :'( :'(
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »
check out the updated pic...

here is one from last year, around October 2015

today:

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
Adam:
I thought you were keeping them all in pots? Did the growth rate change any once in ground? I have a few specimens still in pots that I intend to plant out after this winter. They are about 4 years old now. How old is this one you photographed?
Keith

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
Adam:
I thought you were keeping them all in pots? Did the growth rate change any once in ground? I have a few specimens still in pots that I intend to plant out after this winter. They are about 4 years old now. How old is this one you photographed?
Keith

planted one out a while ago, growth rate same, real slow.
not sure how old, but about 8-10yr I assume by now.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
The rate of growth and size for my one year old seedling I cant even imagine it being the size of Oscars one in 20 years  :'( :'( :'(
They start to grow a lot faster once they are a couple of feet tall and in the ground.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2016, 04:34:36 PM »
They start to grow a lot faster once they are a couple of feet tall and in the ground.

unless u live in central FL like me...where we get no rain, and too much heat for spring/summer, and then too cold for winter!  It really stunts the tree....leaves always slightly burnt over here...but the tree is strong.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »
here is one that got better treatment, in a pot, in the greenhouse, with ample water

from Nov of 2015 in 15 gal pot

today, 60 gal

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
Mine is still growing - slowly but it does seem to be picking up a little.  Still in a relatively shaded area, putting out some beautiful and large leaves.  I'm 6'1" and the central leader is now at eye level. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:59:09 PM by Sleepdoc »

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2016, 11:08:06 PM »
Yesterday I went to the zoo to get scions of a beautyfull bright red reticulata I just discover last week when I took my 10 years old boy; the problem is that is inside a little Island set on a pond where is the home of the spider monkeys; to get there I have to cross the pond with hundreds of hungry carp fish,
I wasn't lucky cause the encharged Who authorized me to come back to pick the wood was out of the city; since I was there and I knew a few Lucmoncillo trees on the river, I decided to go and take a look; to my surprise I found this tree with a few small, unripe fruits and still flowering ; unusual cause usually by this time season is over; the problem with this tree is so tall that fruit is unreachable; I was lucky to find a single one perfectly ripe on the ground! It was on its prime; superb lemons sweet gelato/pye flavor/consistency; amazing fruit

PD anybody knows how to upload video? I want to show one of the lucmoncillo environment
How tall can a limoncillo tree grow?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
Arvind , It all depends on where it grows ( type of soil , water , fertilized by cattle ) like I mentioned in a previous message . Shape and height is very different . Some grow like a Christmas tree ( or like a Mangosteen ) others have an almost round canopy , others go straight up  . I would say an average of 10 meters .

Just for fun , I planted one inside my orchard in the worst type of soil , almost never water it . If it were an animal I'd be put in jail for animal-cruelty . I kept , read : the most unprofessional pruning anyone could do , slashing away with the machete to keep it around 3 meters . Doesn't give a damn....Flowering again right now , seems early, too bad I never made a note of flowering time for the previous years .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north