Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170760 times)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Where can I get myself this Luc Garcinia?

I know "Ong" nursery has them in San Diego. They are small like all others in California.

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
Do you any where that carries them in the Los Angeles area?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Do you any where that carries them in the Los Angeles area?
Sorry no.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
Thanks! Yah, this cookie monstar is getting a little excited :-). I acquired that tree somewhere around 2009 as a little, barely sprouted seedling. It kicked it in a 3 gallon pot until about 2 years ago when I dropped it into the ground.

So any updates on the tree.Did the flower become fruits? I am really eager to know

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
Nope. They all fell off :-(.

Thanks! Yah, this cookie monstar is getting a little excited :-). I acquired that tree somewhere around 2009 as a little, barely sprouted seedling. It kicked it in a 3 gallon pot until about 2 years ago when I dropped it into the ground.
So any updates on the tree.Did the flower become fruits? I am really eager to know
Jeff  :-)

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »

:-[  Well what caused the fruit to drop?Is it humidity or a sudden storm? I read Luc mentioned in other thread that a sudden storm caused th flowers to fall

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
Dead To Me. JK.

-Josh

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »

The first flowering, it fell off

The second flowering, now

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
Mine flowered a second time. Out of about 30 - 40 flowers, only 3 or 4 were female. And out of those, one seems to be holding and growing.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »
Sadhu mentioned his tree is holding fruit right now. He'll get to sample soon.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:26 PM »

The first flowering, it fell off

The second flowering, now

This tree is 4 years old  and planted from seed right?. Never thought it can flower at a young age.What kind of fertilizer do you feed it

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 17, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
I have new growth on mine

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2017, 12:59:37 AM »
Just wondering if Lucs G. Set fruit ok by themselves or do I need a second? I have another one that I can plant out but would have to plant within 2 feet of the first, I simply have no more room. I do have an Achacha about 30 feet away but am uncertain that it will help my Luc's. any wisdom appreciated!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2017, 07:27:22 AM »
Just wondering if Lucs G. Set fruit ok by themselves or do I need a second? I have another one that I can plant out but would have to plant within 2 feet of the first, I simply have no more room. I do have an Achacha about 30 feet away but am uncertain that it will help my Luc's. any wisdom appreciated!
Single tree is enough.I supposed this species has a hard time setting fruit outside puerta vallarta jalisco due to the climate.Maybe this species needs a rather long dry season for the fruit to stick

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »
The botanologist who were here last January mentioned some trees has more amount of male flowers, and another come with hermafrodhites flowers.. M
El verde es vida!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2017, 01:51:53 AM »
Mine flowered a second time. Out of about 30 - 40 flowers, only 3 or 4 were female. And out of those, one seems to be holding and growing.

Any update on the tree? Hopefully it manage to bear fruit

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
Yep. I got one fruit that is currently about an inch and a half long and fattening up.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
exciting!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
Yep. I got one fruit that is currently about an inch and a half long and fattening up.

:) :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
Talk about flower power and today was a big one in the garden as I haven't had a good look around in a while.

Four years ago I planted out a Luc's Mexican garcinia which was about 8 inches high. Now at about 8 feet I inspect it all the time looking for flowers and are yet to be rewarded. Ironically a 3 feet high specimen which has been in the ground hardly 2 years has flowers that I just noticed. I have a few trees planted too close so my Eugenia candolleana and blue jab (vexator) yielded some branches to give it more space and I noticed large green fruit on the vexator branches I trimmed as well as the candolleana.I chopped the branches up and put them around my escarlatte jabs and noticed one has fruit.With all this action I threw off the shackles and went to my Russell sweet trees.I see flowers on the female busting out all over but the male is flower-less.I cant remember a day with so many positive discoveries in the garden with Lucs Mexican Garcinia probably the highlight.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 25, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

OK Jeff, you're going to split that one tiny fruit with all your south florida friends correct? we will all come over and get a nibble lmao
Joe

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 25, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »
MikeT it sounds like you should ignore your garden more often!! I have recently planted out 2 Lucs so hopefully you will get some fruit set soon, very keen to hear your review. I'd also love to get hold of seeds of Russells sweet in the future when they are around next if you have any spare. Cheers

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
OP here, thought I'd post an update to my Luc's G. since this thread was started more than 3 years ago. It's now about 16-18 inches tall and has 2 new branches. I think the steady supply of water from the small sprinkler may have helped a bit. Otherwise its a slow grower in this environment.  Does seem to look healthy though, what do you guys think..?

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
Talk about flower power and today was a big one in the garden as I haven't had a good look around in a while.

Four years ago I planted out a Luc's Mexican garcinia which was about 8 inches high. Now at about 8 feet I inspect it all the time looking for flowers and are yet to be rewarded. Ironically a 3 feet high specimen which has been in the ground hardly 2 years has flowers that I just noticed. I have a few trees planted too close so my Eugenia candolleana and blue jab (vexator) yielded some branches to give it more space and I noticed large green fruit on the vexator branches I trimmed as well as the candolleana.I chopped the branches up and put them around my escarlatte jabs and noticed one has fruit.With all this action I threw off the shackles and went to my Russell sweet trees.I see flowers on the female busting out all over but the male is flower-less.I cant remember a day with so many positive discoveries in the garden with Lucs Mexican Garcinia probably the highlight.

Mike: Congratulations that's fantastic and I share your enthusiasm! I keep looking to see if my Luc's Garcinias start flowering... at least I just saw male and female flowers on my GAristata after 5 years! congrats again.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
Congrats Mike!!nothing nicer that seeing a new tree flowering!thi month  saw unidetified
Campomanesia and another misterious one that Im between pouteria or lacmellea, flowers didnt hold so hopefully next yeat ill know what they are!
El verde es vida!