Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 172306 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
Too cool to see ;)Congrates 8)

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »

The first flowering, it fell off

The second flowering, now

Other seedlings flowering

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 31, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
Nice Xunxun, 🎊 congratulations!
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »
Mine are getting huge, but no flowering yet.  :'( I think the plants are just too happy. Often stressing is what initiates flowering in very young plants.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »
Mine are getting huge, but no flowering yet.  :'( I think the plants are just too happy. Often stressing is what initiates flowering in very young plants.
Oscar they flower here around Dec-January after 2 or 3 months of dry season, I think yours are coming same time as we are almost same latitude 21.5  here...
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
Oscar they flower here around Dec-January after 2 or 3 months of dry season, I think yours are coming same time as we are almost same latitude 21.5  here...
OK thanks. We don't have a dry season here, though this summer has been a lot drier than usual. Latitude here is 19N.
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:46 PM »
At least one of Sadhu's trees fruited for him so far. He said the fruit reminded him of a sweeter version of G. xanthochymus and thought there was a hint of a strawberry-like flavor.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Kind of interesting information .

Months ago I was asked for fresh Mexican Garcinia fruits to be sent to a far away place . Picking these fruits one small 6 - 7 cm , under-develloped , totally green and hard as a stone also fell on the ground . I didn't want to send that one also so I kept it in my workplace , no refrigeration . The fruit ripened by itself and stayed good for several months , no rot . Never had the chance to try it , my wife cleaning my work area threw it away a few days ago ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
The fruit ripened by itself and stayed good for several months , no rot .

I saw fruit sellers in my region soaked apples into some chemical liquid. They lasted for over three months, no rot but were blackening from the inside. I guess under-developed Mexican Garcinia fruits have anti-rot elements that can also resist the "blackening from the inside" part.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Raul harvested some unripe mex garcinia 2 weeks before I arrived and they were ripe and viable when he gave them to me. Good to know these can still ripen up if harvested early for whatever reason

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
OK thanks. We don't have a dry season here, though this summer has been a lot drier than usual. Latitude here is 19N.

Oscar - first, how have you been?

With no dry season, I'm interested to know (off topic) what mangoes produce regularly for you.  I know Rapoza does well with its persistent flowering habit.  What else?  Is it correct you also have no cold trigger at your elevation?  Is rain just low in a given season?

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
Just for comparison sake I found at my place that Luc's Garcinia can't take as much cold as Garcinia humilis.  I didn't bother covering the greenhouse with plastic this past winter and the leaves on Luc's Garcinia turned brown and eventually fell off while G. humilis did not loose any leaves.  The link below is to a picture of the plants.  They were side by side in the greenhouse which only had 30% shade cloth on it.  Both are 2 or 3 years old.  Both plants are still alive and have just this week put out new growth.

https://postimg.cc/image/ygfsuu3xh/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:14:03 AM by Sven »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:39 AM »

With no dry season, I'm interested to know (off topic) what mangoes produce regularly for you.  I know Rapoza does well with its persistent flowering habit.  What else?  Is it correct you also have no cold trigger at your elevation?  Is rain just low in a given season?
Fine thanks. Best producing "mangoes" are non mangoes originating in highlands: Mangifera kasturi and Mangifera odorata. Of the real mangoes the ones that have done best are Fairchild, Brook's Late, Edward, Florigon, Manzanillo, Kurashige, and the Rapoza. It's very tricky to grow mangoes here on windward side of the island. The leeward side (Kona) it's much easier because their rain fall is so much lower. There are also other parts of this island that are very dry, like Kau (southern part) and really that is much more ideal for mangoes. We don't get any dry spells, except for occasional 1-2 week periods, and no cold spells. Coolest emperature in winter is around 65, with very occasional dips to 60.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »

Fine thanks. Best producing "mangoes" are non mangoes originating in highlands: Mangifera kasturi and Mangifera odorata. Of the real mangoes the ones that have done best are Fairchild, Brook's Late, Edward, Florigon, Manzanillo, Kurashige, and the Rapoza. It's very tricky to grow mangoes here on windward side of the island. The leeward side (Kona) it's much easier because their rain fall is so much lower. There are also other parts of this island that are very dry, like Kau (southern part) and really that is much more ideal for mangoes. We don't get any dry spells, except for occasional 1-2 week periods, and no cold spells. Coolest emperature in winter is around 65, with very occasional dips to 60.

Ah.  Which side are you on?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #339 on: August 03, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

Ah.  Which side are you on?
East side, windward side = rainy side.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2017, 04:02:30 AM »
Oscar we are in the same situation.no mangoes can produce well in my area too with around 3800 plus mm of annual rainfall.kuini and bacang do well here.However in my neighbourhood most kuini taste like crap because of some kind of fly or beetle infestation.It lays egg in the fruit

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2017, 05:11:52 AM »
Oscar we are in the same situation.no mangoes can produce well in my area too with around 3800 plus mm of annual rainfall.kuini and bacang do well here.However in my neighbourhood most kuini taste like crap because of some kind of fly or beetle infestation.It lays egg in the fruit
How is the bacang? Is it good tasting?
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
^^^ Thread is getting far off topic.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
How is the bacang? Is it good tasting?

taste is on the sour side and too stringy.people use them to make dishes .mix it up with chillies,shrimp paste and salt

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2017, 06:37:08 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:17:03 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2017, 12:30:21 AM »

The first flowering, it fell off

The second flowering, now

Other seedlings flowering

The third flowering this year

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »
Xunxun what are you doing different to get yours to flower so young compared to everyone else and so frequent? Any fruit from the previous flowers?

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 24, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »
My Luc’s flowering in South Florida.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:32:05 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »

Wow.  How old is your tree?  Did you plant it as a seed or transplant, if so how long ago?
[/quote]

I have been trying to figure out how long ago I planted the seedling.   I am guessing 5 or 6 years.  IIRC, my friend Seadation gave me the tiny seedling ( 3 or 4 inches), and I planted it while very small.  He got a few seeds I believe directly from Luc, and this was one of those early ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk