Author Topic: Best tasting Mangos of 2017 in your Palates opinion.  (Read 10586 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Best tasting Mangos of 2017 in your Palates opinion.
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
Some people have already completed tasting their Mangos for 2017... If so, Please post your collection of tastes perceived in numerical order from the available mangos tasted. You may up date your post if more are tasted later this year.:::
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:50:09 PM by palmcity »

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Mangos of 2017 in your Palates opinion.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Almost every mango I had this year was really watery and not very enjoyable

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Ugly Betty had a nice taste definitely toward the top of my list also tried the old variety Springfiels which I thought was rather nice as well

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
1 lemon zest
2 coconut cream
3 zinc/venus
4 Maha
5 Val Carrie

Everything else was good but kinda forgettable.
The VPs I had this year were really good too.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
First five mangoes were off tasting. The rest were good to excellent and not watery. Yield was down, I want a solid south Florida winter to make the mango trees go dormant. Not enough dormancy last winter.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
This year overall was kind of a down year for mangoes. But these were tops IMO...

1.Carrie
2. Bombay
3. LZ / PPK they tasted virtually identical this year to me. Lz a little bland compared to years past
4. Edward
5. Rosigold - about 75% tasted really good - super high sugar content, almost like a cake frosting with smooth silky flesh, zero fiber, even around the seed.
6. Aeromanis (Harumanis?) - Had this one at the end of May at the fruit and Spice park in Homestead. Tasted really clean and sweet with good acid component. Was wondering where I could get some budwood since it does not seem to be propigated anymore...

artfusionfab

• USA, Coconut Creek Florida, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
This year overall was kind of a down year for mangoes. But these were tops IMO...

1.Carrie
2. Bombay
3. LZ / PPK they tasted virtually identical this year to me. Lz a little bland compared to years past
4. Edward
5. Rosigold - about 75% tasted really good - super high sugar content, almost like a cake frosting with smooth silky flesh, zero fiber, even around the seed.
6. Aeromanis (Harumanis?) - Had this one at the end of May at the fruit and Spice park in Homestead. Tasted really clean and sweet with good acid component. Was wondering where I could get some budwood since it does not seem to be propigated anymore...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »
In the US while on vacation, I only got to try a few varieties,  since I was a bit early in the season.

NDM and Mallika   were very good.

Pickering,  a bit watered down from my tree.  but enjoyable.

Carrie,  where terrible, maybe over ripe, not sure,   but were watery,  and whatever flavor they had was nasty,  had to toss them.  only one of 4 fruit I had was half way decent but just barely.

In the DR.  its been a bad year mostly,  a few Hadens, Palmers, Tommy,  are either watered down or suffer from internal break down / jelly seed.   only have come across a couple Kiett  that have been ok,   

Maya were good.
Fairchild  were very good.
Kesar were very good.

Hopefully the late season Kietts will be better,  they are starting to pour into stores here,  will give some a try.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
Our Coconut Cream and Lemon zest Mangos were fantastic this year. CC was probably the best.

Also good this year we're our Valencia Pride, Fruit punch, PPK, and NDM

Ice Cream an Dot had some fruits which were great and others which had a bit of an off putting taste.

Our Cogshall fruit had a very off taste this year. One of my daughters thought it tasted like the fluoride varnish the dentist put on her teeth once.

We still have some Lemon Zest, Ice Cream, and Sweet tart mangos on the trees.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
Unfortunately most of the varieties I was able to try were not optimal however the best for me was (in order): coconut cream, NDM, Fairchild, florigon.  Hopefully will try more varieties next season.  A few Hadens were delicious but most were off this year.
- Marley

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »
Sweet tart
M-17
Maha Chanok
Fairchild
Duncan

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »
The hubby and I do an annual mango mania month (July) where we travel around the southern half of the state and gorge on as many mangoes as is humanly possible to consume. As others have noted, this year was a bit off. Some of the usual contenders did not perform as well this year. We usually love Edwards, but only found a few that had their normal deep, rich flavor this year. Some high points this year:

Ewais - never would have guessed an Egyptian mango would have such a strong Indian Spice flavor.
Cac - Rich, complex flavor when properly ripened.
Malikka - the later ones (end of July) had the refreshing Tangerine/Melon Sorbet flavor that I love in this variety.
Val Carrie- this was my favorite. Rich, complex, combines the best of Valencia Pride and Carrie with none of their flaws.
Bailey's Marvel, Pickering and Dot were at the top of their game this season.

I heard a lot of the S Florida Lemon Zest were hit hard with bacterial spot this year so we didn't even get a chance to try them. The Sweet Tarts and Kathy we tried were good but I think they could have been better.

For a glimpse of some of our 2017 Mango Quest - with pictures - you can visit my blog (though I haven't updated it with our end of July trip to Bokeelia, yet) at:

[size=78%]http://www.danakoay.com/2017/07/2017-mango-madness.html#more[/size]

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Pina Colada
Dot
Lemon Zest
Venus

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 01:54:30 PM »
I have to agree with those. I will add Pineapple pleasure, J12/Fairchild Ruby, and Peach Cobbler.

Pina Colada
Dot
Lemon Zest
Venus
Brandon

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
Your Peach Cobbler was good? How old is your tree? Do you find it to ripe evenly on the tree? Thanks...
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
I had about 20-30 varieties this year.  Sunrise, Peach Cobbler, Coconut Cream, Carrie, Angie, Sweet Tart, and Mahachanok were among my top choices when I had a pile of mangos to choose from. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:14:52 PM »
I got mangoes from Mark (mangosbymail.com) and Alex (Tropical Acres) and Shamus had a mango tasting with ones he brought back from Zills

My favorites this year:

1. Sweet Tart
2. Lemon Zest
3. Peach Cobbler
4. Coconut Cream
5. Mahachanok

Also I absolutely loved Cac. I would put that in spot 5 along with Mahachanok

I had some Duncan, Edward and Mallika that were also superb.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:26:33 PM by starch »
- Mark

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
I went to one mango tasting event at a local nursery and found most mangoes had a resinous off taste and were overripe but one stood out, Venus. Now where can I get it and harder yet where do I plant it. Maybe my grumichama cherry if it does not start bearing this spring. It is 4 years old.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
I went to one mango tasting event at a local nursery and found most mangoes had a resinous off taste and were overripe but one stood out, Venus. Now where can I get it and harder yet where do I plant it. Maybe my grumichama cherry if it does not start bearing this spring. It is 4 years old.

Good old Excalibur (Lake Worth) has it on their list.
John

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »

1.Carrie
2. Bombay
4. Edward

I am nursing 2 Harumanis scions now, got mine from "Squam256" 2 months ago...
Sam

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
It's funny to me but I'm starting to see a very few people that have the same opinion as I concerning small tasting gatherings rating the best tasting mango. Usually the "wow" mango wins with intense taste with the small amount sampled during the sampling...

IMO many of these "wow" small servings would not be desired by me in a cut up bowl of 3-4 mangos eaten in a day as taste overload would occur. It sort of reminds me of the "wow" taste of Monstera Deliciosa that has a strong pineapple/banana taste on the first few sampling pieces, but it's no way I could stand to eat two whole pods in a sitting. Thus my list of mangos tried this year:::

1st place: Keitt - Great peachy sugar flavor especially the 2nd or 3rd day in the refrigerator it becomes almost sugar if cut up ripe. I can eat many of these in a day with no problems and no desire to stop...

2nd place: Carrie- Long season from May 8 to 8.22.17 with one left on one tree. Great flavor that I have grown to love. (if too strong try eating from bottom and rinsing off peeling sap).

3rd place: multiple ties: Edward, Rosigold, Kent, Glen (a few were equal to Rosigolds), Sweet Tart (a small slice of "wow" factor to break up the usual mango taste of this category), Madem Francis was sweet this year and made the spicy flavor taste like pumpkin/sweet potato pie although a lot of fiber in it,  Phillipean moved up this year as very sweet and lemon/lime taste when biting off the bottom and mixing the peeling taste with the sweet juice, a few of the Valencia Pride,

4th place: Mallika, Pickering, Haden, Kesar (young tree), Spirit of 76 (young tree), unfortunately Florigon was less sweet and less flavor and smaller harvest than last year.

5th place: Okrung was too early producer and low production with little sweet/lime flavor this year compared to last, Tebow aka Young low production and less flavor also this year, 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:05:25 PM by palmcity »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
The hubby and I do an annual mango mania month (July) where we travel around the southern half of the state and gorge on as many mangoes as is humanly possible to consume. As others have noted, this year was a bit off. Some of the usual contenders did not perform as well this year. We usually love Edwards, but only found a few that had their normal deep, rich flavor this year. Some high points this year:

Ewais - never would have guessed an Egyptian mango would have such a strong Indian Spice flavor.
Cac - Rich, complex flavor when properly ripened.
Malikka - the later ones (end of July) had the refreshing Tangerine/Melon Sorbet flavor that I love in this variety.
Val Carrie- this was my favorite. Rich, complex, combines the best of Valencia Pride and Carrie with none of their flaws.
Bailey's Marvel, Pickering and Dot were at the top of their game this season.

I heard a lot of the S Florida Lemon Zest were hit hard with bacterial spot this year so we didn't even get a chance to try them. The Sweet Tarts and Kathy we tried were good but I think they could have been better.

For a glimpse of some of our 2017 Mango Quest - with pictures - you can visit my blog (though I haven't updated it with our end of July trip to Bokeelia, yet) at:

[size=78%]http://www.danakoay.com/2017/07/2017-mango-madness.html#more[/size]

Mercy.  I have company...

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:18 AM »
My usual favorites were coco cream, sweet tart, ice cream, my mahas were just ok and lacking on characteristic table stench, great but no punch. Never was crazy for NDM but thought this year was on point for NDM and best I can remember. Picked up a NDM tree for my yard as it's a compact grower and a small space that, well just needed another mango lol. Had some brahm Kai meu that were like sugary carrots, have to like 🥕 🥕🥕🥕 to be down for that.

-joep450

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 01:46:17 AM »
Hopefully the late season Kietts will be better,  they are starting to pour into stores here,  will give some a try.

Purchased a few from a street vendor,  and they were very good.  very clean looking,  huge,  ( 2lbs and more ) no internal problems,  and not washed out.   will buy some more tomorrow. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "