Author Topic: Please help us prune/shape our avocado  (Read 1034 times)

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Please help us prune/shape our avocado
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »
Hi guys,
We have a Winter Mexican variety we purchased in a 3gal container back in late December 2018. Haven’t done anything to it really besides potting up. It’s currently residing in a 30-40gal air pruning pot and growing like crazy. The problem is, we’ve let some of the branches get out of control and it has a strange growing habit. As you can see from the pics it’s lopsided. Much stronger growth on one side of the tree. It has two branches down really low and one of them clearly dominated. Also the central leader kinked and turned to one side at some point. This thing grows wild like an octopus. We want it to remain healthy and vigorous, but balance it out a bit. Not sure if we should prune off those low branches, cut them back a bit or just leave it be to do it’s thing..
And should we be tipping when branches reach a certain length or what is common practice with Avocados?
We’re pretty good with managing mangos, but not so much avocado obviously. It was doing so well we didn’t want to interrupt it’s rapid growth and now we sort of have a mess on our hands.

Little guy 12/30/2108

Low branching. One clearly dominated.

Path of dominant lower branch

Clearly lopsided growth

Central leader went haywire. Have to keep it pulled upright with the nursery tie tape.

What do you guys think we should do with this thing?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:17:57 PM by dross99_si »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Please help us prune/shape our avocado
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:05:53 AM »
1. Save lowest branch to help fatten up trunk below it. Cut it off a year or 2 later when it’s 1/2 size of trunk.
2. Cut 2nd lowest branch flush with trunk. It’s bigger than 1/2 the size of trunk.
3. Tie central leader to stake to straighten it.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Thanks Seanny. I wound up cutting off both of those low branches and staking it up better. Am I supposed to tip the remaining branches or the central leader?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
I tip my Reed at 7'.
It put out new leader the next year.
I cut new leader off at 7'.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
Central leader went haywire. Have to keep it pulled upright with the nursery tie tape.

What do you guys think we should do with this thing?

Thanks in advance!

Yep, been there done that.

Train it back to a central leader and don't top until it reaches 6' or more.  When I grafted my Reed back in 2012 I topped about 1'. It induced a horizontal football goal post configuration which I never could control.   It froze back to a nub during the 18F freeze of Jan. 2018.  I recently hard pruned it for next year's bloom.  it has 3 very thick woody trunks, like 3" thick since that freeze.

Sept. 24.  Is already pushing foliage hard which should go dormant soon with the cold fronts blowing thru now.

Am standing by Ardith, grafted low to a Gwen stump Sept. 2018, now 8'.  Topped about 6' giving it 3 main leaders.

Back side

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:58:30 AM by Mark in Texas »