Author Topic: Germinating Muntingia calabura / Jamaican Cherry  (Read 14471 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating Muntingia calabura / Jamaican Cherry
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
Just a heads up for anyone attempting to germinate these, I noticed a huge germination difference between 74F and 80F. I had almost no germination for 1.5 months at 75F, but after month at 80F, almost every cell has seedlings growing.

Also, I found this link with interesting info on lab propagation: https://www.granthaalayahpublication.org/journals-html-galley/32_IJRG20_B05_3395.html

I've had 0 luck with cuttings, is there a trick to them?
I have been able to root cuttings in perlite 5 for 5. Nothing special.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 04:32:24 PM »
How long before the first roots appear? Hardwood, softwood? Leaves or no? With scarifying or without?

I've attempted to root in rockwool and also perlite/vermiculite mix, with softwood/semihardwood/hardwood cuttings, with and without leaves, with and without scarification, with and without heat, and none of the cuttings ever even form callouses.

I think in the future I need to sterilize the cuttings better, bury the cuttings deeper in the rooting medium, pretreat with copper, and keep them less moist. I seem to have a problem with muntingia in particular rotting/molding, even though I'm having no trouble rooting mulberries/peanut butter fruit/Chilean guava right next to it.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »
How long before the first roots appear? Hardwood, softwood? Leaves or no? With scarifying or without?

I've attempted to root in rockwool and also perlite/vermiculite mix, with softwood/semihardwood/hardwood cuttings, with and without leaves, with and without scarification, with and without heat, and none of the cuttings ever even form callouses.

I think in the future I need to sterilize the cuttings better, bury the cuttings deeper in the rooting medium, pretreat with copper, and keep them less moist. I seem to have a problem with muntingia in particular rotting/molding, even though I'm having no trouble rooting mulberries/peanut butter fruit/Chilean guava right next to it.
Took about 2-3 weeks. trimmed off some of the leaves to reduce stress. I let the perlite dry out some before watering. I used semi green wood to the tips of the branches. One of the cuttings even sent out a flower and set fruit within a month or two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk