Author Topic: Best Star apple varieties?  (Read 247 times)

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
Best Star apple varieties?
« on: February 29, 2024, 08:01:34 PM »
Here in Hawaii almost all grafted Star apples are ‘Haitian’, propagated by Plant It Hawaii.  It seems to me not to be a big improvement on average seedlings. Frankie sold some trees of Philippine Gold which is ok. Oscar Jaitt selected a “giant” seedling. Otherwise in Hawaii it’s just purple and a few green seedlings. I think it’s similar in Florida, but I’ve planted Hipolito and Burgess from Julian Lara. He also lists ‘Lara’. I see A-1, Excalibur, and Jaco Beach listed by Excalibur.

I’m inclined to plant more Hipolito and Burgess just based on Julian’s descriptions

Perhaps you folks can give your experience with these varieties or mention some that are better.

Thanks!  Steph

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Best Star apple varieties?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 06:50:24 AM »
I have the standard purple and Hipolito growing and have tasted Haitian, Hipolito, Jaco Beach, the standard green that they sell here and Lara's and A-1.

To me, Jaco Beach and Hipolito were the best tasting, but the greens tend to ripen a month later so I guess they have more time to develop sweetness on the tree.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 03:19:55 PM »
Thanks Khan,
I’m trying to determine if I should pursue scionwood of any other Florida star apple selections other than the Burgess and Hipolito.

Then there are the Australian selections Alva and DPI Gold which I think some folks are growing seedlings of in Florida. But I haven’t heard of grafted trees in the US.

And I think Juicy Pearl seedlings are recently planted in the US.

I’d like to grow better star apples.

Thanks!
Steph

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 07:34:29 PM »
I have only ever tried the Bo Hong star apple from Frankies, it was a good fruit but I don't have anything to compare it to.  I believe a couple sellers were on here a year or so go selling the seeds, supposed to be a selected cultivar from Vietnam.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 08:17:17 PM »
Juicy pearl is the australian variety and Oscar has a different variety of C, a, auratum which is not star apple. Oscar also has big purple which no doubt is way ahead of the standard Haitian. Alva is big and good alright as is DPI gold. Philipine gold has a good taste also.