Author Topic: Got my achacha/achachairu!!!! Now I need help with planting and care please!  (Read 14963 times)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
It's here! Beautiful little plant.  I got it from Montoso PR, it came nicely packaged and still moist.  I'm very happy with their customer service and product!

Now I don't want to kill it!!!!! Should I plant in ground right away? In a pot? What type of soil?
Any help with care is greatly appreciated.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
My experience with achachairu is that they stay a good two (2) years average in the juvenile stage. They grow slowly when they are young.  I would keep it in a shaded area, very minimum morning filtered sun,  until it reaches approximately 3 to 4 feet tall.  I would keep it in a pot until then. They like to be moist all the time and good drainage.  They also like an organic growing mix.
I grow several of them, and I just put one in the ground last week. 
If you need any additional information, please email me.  Good luck with your achachairu...Great tasting fruit!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I have a grafted one about that size that just flushed some new leaves for the first time since last August.  I think our nightime temperatures in Palm Beach seem to stall growth..

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Bryan always sends nice plants and his shipping/boxing methods has few equals.  The plant will require soil more on the acidic side but can certainly handle higher PH than mangosteen.  I fertilized mine heavily and regularly, sprayed micronutrients often and was rewarded with very frequent growth flushes.  Mine handled more sun than most say that they can.  You might want to look into a lighter shade cloth structure if you do decide to plant it out.  The plant will quickly let you know how much sun is too much.  I'm sure many could debate the container versus in-ground for some time.  If you do plant it out, make plans to protect it from cold spells.  If you know Eric Bronson who lives down there, forget where, he has planted several garcinias in the ground.  Good luck!

PJ...is yours still in a container?

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
I got 4 achachairu from Montoso about a month ago and 2 have already flushed new growth...  Excellent plants and great shipping.  Mine came with oyster scale (not apparent when I unpacked them) so be vigilant.

Kevin

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just moved mine up into 15 Gallon containers a few days ago.. Mostly Pine Bark fines and slight peak with very minimal Pearlite, PH 5.7

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Nobody packs and ships plants as well as Bryan @ Montoso. Great trees in top condition!

FloridaGreenMan

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Hi,

It's really hard to kill achachairu, so no worries. I have overwatered and underwatered and frost and whatnot. Still growing steadily. I have all mine in full sun.

Tomas

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Wow such a beautiful little plant! Another good feedback for Montoso.

-Luke

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

It's really hard to kill achachairu, so no worries. I have overwatered and underwatered and frost and whatnot. Still growing steadily. I have all mine in full sun.

Tomas

Are yours in the ground? If so, how long have they been in ground?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Hi,

All it pots ranging from 3 ft to 6 ft tall.

Tomas

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

All it pots ranging from 3 ft to 6 ft tall.

Tomas

Tomas,

Do you leave them out in the cold? You mention that they have withstood frost?  Also, what is the soil mix in your pots?

natsgarden123

Can anyone tell me about this fruit? I looked it up and it seem to be sour?  I have quite a bit of area for container plants-this would be interesting to grow. Thanks :)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Hi again,

I cannot remember the soil mix. I will see if I can find it in my garden log later. Yes, I keep them out all year long. All but one of the achachairu plants were in a wind-protected area and no sign of frost damage. The unprotected plant got beaten by the cold frosty wind. Lost all but 2 leaves. Took about 3 months for regrow the leaves again.

Tomas

natsgarden123

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Beautiful plant and of course great packaging, Montoso is one of the best.  Plus Bryan is a real nice guy and lives in an incredibly beautiful spot (lucky fellow).

good luck w/the new addition
-Ethan

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Mfajar,

The Achachairú seedling looks fabulous :)

Keep us posted when the seedling starts to produce!!! ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!
I agree, will put it in a pot, but once it grows I will likely transplant.  But since they grow slow I still have time to make that decision.
I can't wait to try the fruit!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
I think they are more of a sweet citrusy sherbert or sorbet flavour. They are grown commercially here on one huge plantation. Here are a few videos:
http://www.achacha.com.au/achacha-video.html

The Behind the News video is informative as to taste. They gave it to a bunch of kids, who all came up with very different answers in the taste test. Aimed at kids though.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Achachairu has a very nice texture and the flavor is good, but not exceptional, like with mangosteen. Biggest downfall is very big seed in a small fruit. I think it could make it to world wide markets and be in same caliber of quality with fruits like kiwi, feijoa, tamarillo. Don't think it's in same caliber with top notch fruits.
Note that in videos they say it's a tropical fruit, but i think it's a subtropical as it grows in high elevation foothills of Andes (Santa Cruz, Bolivia). It is adapatable to lowlands though, as the fact that it's being grown in Queensland shows. But it could certainly be grown in cooler parts of Australia as well. Note that fields in Queenslands of these trees are all in full sun, not partial shade like some literature recommends.
Oscar

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
i am searching for their seeds ,, any clues ,

Amr

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
June July August.. Vivero Anones

http://www.viveroanones.com/