Author Topic: Osteen Mango  (Read 17244 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Osteen Mango
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
The same over here in northern Europe with mango and other fruit. The red pigmentation is the key for commercial success. Palmer and Osteen are two cultivars that are sold a lot because of the red color...

I just got some Osteen mangos at a local store. Was wondering if this was a real cultivar or made up name as i'd never heard of it before. These mangos were not only very red, but absolutley huge in size. At first i thought they must be Keits because of the large size. Anybody have any info on this Osteen?
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Osteen Mango
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
Here is what I found. I think Sqam may have written this article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteen_%28mango%29

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
Here is what I found. I think Sqam may have written this article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteen_%28mango%29

Thanks for the info. The really surprising thing is that these mangos were locally grown near me, produced in February, and many were in the 2-4 pound range. I bought one and had a nice mild taste with no fiber. Not a 10, but i only ate one, so can't say for sure.
Oscar
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
I think Asit Ghosh also contributed to that article as well.

Its a decent mango........part of the 'Merrit Island/Ensey group, which I mentioned in this thread:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=311.0

I think it was one of the few from that group that got planted outside of the island despite not being at the top of the list in flavor.....mainly because of its commercial adaptation. Its more common in European markets than the US I believe.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

Its a decent mango........part of the 'Merrit Island/Ensey group, which I mentioned in this thread:

I think it was one of the few from that group that got planted outside of the island despite not being at the top of the list in flavor.....mainly because of its commercial adaptation. Its more common in European markets than the US I believe.

Thanks. I just bought another Osteen to do another taste trial. It is 2 1/2 pounds and nicely colored. Are any of the nurseries in Florida selling this cultivar? I wonder how the farm growing them here is getting them so way off season? They also have no anthracnose marks on them. BTW, the Valencia Pride which is also in that Merrit Island group was one of my favorites when i triealed the magos during the Fairchild mango festival.
Oscar
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »

Thanks. I just bought another Osteen to do another taste trial. It is 2 1/2 pounds and nicely colored. Are any of the nurseries in Florida selling this cultivar? I wonder how the farm growing them here is getting them so way off season? They also have no anthracnose marks on them. BTW, the Valencia Pride which is also in that Merrit Island group was one of my favorites when i triealed the magos during the Fairchild mango festival.
Oscar

To my knowledge, Osteen isn't being propagated by any of the major nurseries. I think it deserves to be though if on a limited scale, as its a later-season variety that produces well.

It should be noted that Valencia Pride isn't part of the Merritt island group.....it actually originated in Miami. The article lumped it and a few other non-Merritt island mangoes (Jakarta, Kent, Turpentine) into the cultivar descriptions because the Enseys also grow those and many other non-Merritt Island types as well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:32:53 PM »

To my knowledge, Osteen isn't being propagated by any of the major nurseries. I think it deserves to be though if on a limited scale, as its a later-season variety that produces well.

It should be noted that Valencia Pride isn't part of the Merritt island group.....it actually originated in Miami. The article lumped it and a few other non-Merritt island mangoes (Jakarta, Kent, Turpentine) into the cultivar descriptions because the Enseys also grow those and many other non-Merritt Island types as well.

Later season mango to me would an August, September, or October mango. I really wonder how they got these Osteens to fruit in February? Potassium nitrate? Although i've noticed that a lot of the wild mangos this year also ripened in January for some strange reason???
Anybody know about anthracnose resistance of Osteen?
Oscar
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
Osteen is one of the main commercial mangos in Spain. Prolific and regular bearer, late season, nice red colour, no fibre, nice taste (not excellent). I've seen variation in fruit size. Average would be over 1lb. I doubt they can reach 4lb. On the wiki site there are two pictures. The red ones are Osteen, the other not...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Osteen is one of the main commercial mangos in Spain. Prolific and regular bearer, late season, nice red colour, no fibre, nice taste (not excellent). I've seen variation in fruit size. Average would be over 1lb. I doubt they can reach 4lb. On the wiki site there are two pictures. The red ones are Osteen, the other not...

Didn't weight them, but from the size i estimate the bigger Osteens here were in the 4 pound range. I bought a medium sized one and it was 2 1/2 pounds.
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:46:32 AM »
While researching potential new commercial varieties, I came across a report done by "Fundación Produce Sinaloa".

This is what they had to say about the Osteen, ( translated from spanish )

> Tree growth habit : Vigorous, dense foliage, erect.
> Fruit: Very Good,
> Season: Aug-Sept.

They considered this fruit as the best Alternative to Keitt for a late season type. and also mention that Osteen is Just as good in taste. with the advantage of being more attractive.

> Flesh is firm, which is considered an attractive feature for exporters.

When left to ripen fully Brix levels were taken, the Osteen actually had the highest  out of the group they were testing.
Osteen - 20.4 Brix, compared with 19.4 for Palmer, and 18 for the Gouveia .

Personal note,  I think these readings are pretty high, not sure if they were measuring rotted fruit , I have seen other Brix numbers for Osteen, at an avg, 14. which seems more reasonable.

Other good features of this variety, is good seed to pulp ratio ( 7.35% ) and low acid ( fruit had a Ph of 5.73 ) which was the highest Ph of the fruits tested which would make the fruit taste sweeter.

Production wise, from those listed it was only beat by Van Dyke. 
Personal Note:  I wish they would have done the trial using other popular cultivars for reference, like Keitt, Ataulfo, Haden. the mangoes in this trial were:

Osteen
Smith
Springfels
Palmer
Gouveia
Ah Ping
Van Dyke

One last note, they recommended the Ah Ping for early season variety.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »

Later season mango to me would an August, September, or October mango. I really wonder how they got these Osteens to fruit in February? Potassium nitrate? Although i've noticed that a lot of the wild mangos this year also ripened in January for some strange reason???
Anybody know about anthracnose resistance of Osteen?
Oscar

Oscar,

The Osteens here on Merritt Island come in around late July, early August. we rate it as a Late/mid season mango.
The trees grow huge and open and are vigorous. The fruit is sweet, and if let really ripen on the tree becomes sweet&spicy. More spicy then a Jakarta.
 We have alot of people who like this mango, but it's not one of my favorites.

I find the tree to be Fairly resistence to Anthracnose, but we have a spray program that we follow starting around January thru egg size fruit.

Hope this helped.

Joe.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
I read the Osteens are originally from Merritt Island. from way back in the day. interesting how they found their way to Spain, which is the number 1 variety they export into the UK and other European countries.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »
Large, Sweet, Firm, Colorful ( purple): Delicious!!!     

I brought one home from the mango festival-out of the 8( mostly new to me varieties)  I tasted, it was the best.

JUST, my humble opinion.....

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

I brought one home from the mango festival-out of the 8( mostly new to me varieties)  I tasted, it was the best.

This variety is on my next to get list, they are a prime candidate for commercial use, big, Round, Colorful, long shelf life, good shipper, and tasty. from what i heard productivity is ok, but the only place I heard they grow them on a commercial scale is in Spain, they should do a lot better in the tropics.

For folks in Fla, and zone pushers, I would think this tree would be desirable because it seems a bit more cold tolerant than your avg tree.  one of the reasons it was selected in Spain. 
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »

This variety is on my next to get list, they are a prime candidate for commercial use, big, Round, Colorful, long shelf life, good shipper, and tasty. from what i heard productivity is ok, but the only place I heard they grow them on a commercial scale is in Spain, they should do a lot better in the tropics.

For folks in Fla, and zone pushers, I would think this tree would be desirable because it seems a bit more cold tolerant than your avg tree.  one of the reasons it was selected in Spain.

Osteens are being grown here by some enterprising farmer. Haven't met them yet. But the fruits were very attractively colored (think TA) and were huge (think Keitt). In flavor department they were real decent. Nothing to rave about, but i think most taste bud deadened consumers would accept them.  ;)
Oscar

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
I had an Osteen tonight, from Merritt Island.  Flavor reminded me very much of an Edward, with a slight amount of fiber.  A very good tasting mango.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
I had part of an Osteen today; was pretty good!
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
I have 2 bags of Osteen's from Ensey's that I got yesterday! I really like them!

Ed

Eekler81 tropical trail

• Melbourne Beach FL Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
Very tru the Osteen grows well and is a heavy yeilder     little to no fiber good sive fruit  the only thing on Merrit Island is that they have to complete with other mangoes that are much more appealing to the eye (Kent, VP, Sunset, Keitt, and a few others on the farm) thats may be the only reason their not more popular for commercial viability.    Just an Ugly looking Mango :(

Eekler

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
Oscar
Osteen is one of the OLD Florida cultivars. It was part of the display table at the FTG mango festival. It's on the lower right hand corner.       

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
Oscar
Osteen is one of the OLD Florida cultivars. It was part of the display table at the FTG mango festival. It's on the lower right hand corner.       

Yeah thanks FGM, i know about that. Seems like Osteen is more popular in Europe and Hawaii than in its place of origin.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
@Eeklar
Merrit Island is that they have to complete with other mangoes that are much more appealing to the eye (Kent, VP, Sunset, Keitt, and a few others on the farm) thats may be the only reason their not more popular for commercial viability.    Just an Ugly looking Mango :(

I am not sure how they look up in your parts, but the ones I have seen were very attractive, nice shape and eye catching red color. of course I agree there are better tasting mangoes , Osteen may be just above average,  but as a commercial variety sitting  along side Keitt, Haden and Tommy Atkins in a super market I think they would do very well.

Me Ugly?

William

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
Oscar

Yeah thanks FGM, i know about that. Seems like Osteen is more popular in Europe and Hawaii than in its place of origin.

I also read that another old Florida variety "Van Dyke" is also popular in Europe but almost forgotten here. Not sure where they are being grown. 
FloridaGreenMan

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
Oscar

I also read that another old Florida variety "Van Dyke" is also popular in Europe but almost forgotten here. Not sure where they are being grown.

Brazil grows them, I remember seeing them being used in a study down there to see how root stocks effect production and growth etc.
I also have reception of "TVAgro" from Colombia, seems they grow Van Dyke there also, as it in mentioned every once in a while on that channel.

Here is a PDF on the Van Dyke. by Carl Campbell http://fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1990%20Vol.%20103/298-299%20%28CAMPBELL%29.pdf
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:39:17 PM by Tropicdude »
William

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
Any leads (sources...web or otherwise) where I might purchase an Osteen Mango tree? Prefer a grower/distributor in Florida... Really is one of my favorites...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk