Author Topic: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree  (Read 29757 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Jack glad u enjoy them!
Ensey is my fav spot!

good luck!! show up early!! it's really a wonderful place u will love tropical
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 11:44:29 PM »
Nice pics of the mango trees. Ed Ensey (who grew the Royal Purple) told me he thought the Royal Purple was a cross between a Haden and a Sensation. I looked up my old notes from my garden journal the day I dug up the seedling from under his big RP.

They're like the Varmint-Cong...

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
Nice pics of the mango trees. Ed Ensey (who grew the Royal Purple) told me he thought the Royal Purple was a cross between a Haden and a Sensation. I looked up my old notes from my garden journal the day I dug up the seedling from under his big RP.

You are correct about Haden/Sensation.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
some of the larger/ nicer trees I saw today on South Tropical Trail, Merritt Island.

looked like oldest tree I saw out of hundreds...the trunk was massive.

Adam,

I wish I would have known you were coming, I would of liked to meet you.

The first picture of yours is the Keitts we have growing just south of the stand.

The second picture you have is the Rutledge we have growing up front by the fence. did you notice the new small trees I have plant in front of the house? To the right of the Rutledge you can see a Cogshall.

The 3rd picture is of a Tommy atkins. The Austin is the very tall tree right behind the house on the right.

Give me a heads up if you come back this year and I'll take you thought the grove.

Joe.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
Yesterday I saw a total of 3 mango fruit stands North of Pineda causeway on South Tropical Trail. Around 2 miles North is the tidwells, and about 3 miles north of Pineda are a couple 'honor system' fruit stands.  I don't know what variety they are selling but they are set up during the work day.   Also, my friend had a stand set up on Sunday about 200 yards North of Pineda.

I haven't gone South of Pineda Causeway recently but, there of course are a few more road side stands. 

There is also a home grower on Hall Road on North Merritt Island (Toppys), and another one on Newfound Harbor.   I'm not sure what they have either, but worth checking out if you are nearby.

Good luck on your mango hunt!      ...'tis the season...

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
I took these pictures back in  May 2008 when I visited Ed Ensey on Merritt Island...wonder if any of these was the Royal Purple mango tree? I know he told me about it and I'm sure I took pictures...but I can't remember which tree it was? Most of the mangoes at that time were not ripe...but he still sold me some  :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
thanks for correction!

that's what i get for quoting somebodies article on the Merritt island mangoes!

Joe,

I've already came by twice in one week...I will be back soon!!  I will try to give u a heads up before I come!!

thanks for having such amazing mangoes!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
I took these pictures back in  May 2008 when I visited Ed Ensey on Merritt Island...wonder if any of these was the Royal Purple mango tree? I know he told me about it and I'm sure I took pictures...but I can't remember which tree it was? Most of the mangoes at that time were not ripe...but he still sold me some  :)

Nancy,

The second tree picture is the orange Delicious tree.
The 3rd picture, is of the Purple Apple.

The Royal Purple mango has alot more purple on the top half of the fruit.

I can't remember for the the life of me right now what is the tree in the first picture? It is still there, and the tree behind it towards the stand is the Tyler.

Joe.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
thanks for correction!

that's what i get for quoting somebodies article on the Merritt island mangoes!

Joe,

I've already came by twice in one week...I will be back soon!!  I will try to give u a heads up before I come!!

thanks for having such amazing mangoe

Adam,

Did you get to try a Tyler mango while you were there. They are straight in the gate just east of the stand. Very sweet mango!!!

Call me next time you are coming. 321-749-8195. Call me the night before. 

Joe.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks Joe!! I'm sure you'll think of the name of the variety of the first picture,lol...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
Joe,

yes I have about 5 Tyler fruits out if the 120 or so fruits I got from u.

I'm going to set one aside right now, I haven't tasted one yet.

I'm a big fan of Austin.  Royal purple is a great name for a mango, and I think the mangos appearance is beffiting of such a royal name...I just am too eager to eat one...I'm saving about 4 for myself.  sometimes color sells a fruit I guess, and so does a name. 

I will be back within 7 days, so I'll call u for sure!!  maybe I can post more photos from my next visit???

at Ensey's place it's impossible not get mangoes on your mind!  they hit you on the head (keitt) right when u walk through the gate...and they are floating about in the air everywhere, like angels!   
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Joe,
Is the Mallika mango still alive there? I gave it to Ed as a gift...I planted it near the stump of an old, almost mummified trunk of a Kent mango that had been snapped off in a hurricane.  The Mallika was 4' tall back in 2008.

Dan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:26:17 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »
Joe,
Is the Mallika mango still alive there? I gave it to Ed as a gift...I planted it near the stump of an old, almost mummified trunk of a Kent mango that had been snapped off in a hurricane.  The Mallika was 4' tall back in 2008.

Dan

Dan,

Can you tell me in what part of the grove you planted the tree in and I'll look for it today or tomorrow.
It should be a good size tree by now.

Thanks, Joe.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »
It was father's day, and about 9 am...and Ensey's place was going off!

It just so happened I asked about "royal purple", (the only reason I asked is because of Jacob13's post...it was like a subliminal message in my mind...that said ask for royal purps! )

and before I knew it, they had just picked about 50 or so fruits!...I made sure to get about 15...they looked so pretty.

Don't be fooled if you see a bunch of mangoes of the same type!  It doesn't mean they aren't rare, or they will be there the next time u come...I thought Austin and Sunset were just "whatever" mangoes, because they had so many, and they looked so pretty...but they turned out to be amazing...and unavailable the next time I came.

Otherwise, people started coming about 9:15am, one after the other!!  Mangoes were disappearing fast...as you can see  in my pic.

and when things finally slow down on the Southern part of Merritt Isl., then u must go see my good buddy Toppy, up on the Northern part of the isl.  He will have mangoes a bit later..his aren't quite ready yet.  He didn't have as good of a year as Ensey either...but he still has a good amount of fruit.  His Palmer trees are loaded, and he swears by this tree, as being a wonderful producer and great mango.

So I guess I will be coming at least 2 times  a month to the Merritt Island area...I like spending time at Toppy's, riding on the back of his bobcat, taking tours!!! WILD times!!! and of course venturing further South to amazing places like Ensey's!

Mangoes on the mind!  Watch your head as you enter!

Mangoes moving fast!  What u see as you enter Ensey's mango stand...right after the bushy headed blonde haired dude just bought a bushel of the best mangoes from the most recent tractor load!!   ;D

If I could have a Dollar for every picture taken under that Keitt mango tree I could of retired by now.
I'm glad you also got to try the sunset, very good mango. But we didn't get a heavy fruit set  on the two trees this year.

Remind me when you come to take a picture of the two Royal Purple mango trees for Nancy.

Thanks, Joe.

Mod edit: Fixed the quote. It covered the entire post.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:50:56 AM by murahilin »

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
Hi Joe. It was planted about mid-way in the grove, near a hose-bib  and a shed if I remember correctly. The huge Kent stump might still be in the ground next to it.

Best regards,
Dan

Eekler81 tropical trail

• Melbourne Beach FL Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
I've worked at the Ensy farm for a few years and we have 3-4 nice RP trees if ur in the area Email me and we can possible set a time to meet and exchange varieties?

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
Hi Eekler. I'm not sure if you mean fruit, or trees? I'd love to meet up sometime. I was at the Ensey place today (where Ed's old house is) and talked to a fellow there.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
I've worked at the Ensy farm for a few years and we have 3-4 nice RP trees if ur in the area Email me and we can possible set a time to meet and exchange varieties?

What varieties are you looking for in trade?

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »
Thanks Joe!! I'm sure you'll think of the name of the variety of the first picture,lol...

Nancy, The tree is a Kent. I took pictures of the whole grove tonight. Will post soon.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
Hi Joe. It was planted about mid-way in the grove, near a hose-bib  and a shed if I remember correctly. The huge Kent stump might still be in the ground next to it.

Best regards,
Dan

Dan,  I found your tree and will post pictures of it soon. It's about 12ft tall and has a nice crop on it.

Joe.

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
There are 3-4 trees but the scion wood or cuttings is what I was speaking of to trade     Of course I would need to get the go ahead from the proprieter before we could move ahead with said trade.  Next time I am up that way I'll ask if she is interested in anything special and post back in a few days

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »

I was at Ensey's today. Good selection of mangos on hand. This is a Royal Purple tree. I also saw the young mango planted by the big stump and don't think it's Mallika. It had fruit - large and globular with deep red coloration and looks every bit if 1.5 pounds or more: as big as Cannonball. The leaves had the correct shape but were much larger than those on my yearling Mallika.
Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »

I was at Ensey's today. Good selection of mangos on hand. This is a Royal Purple tree. I also saw the young mango planted by the big stump and don't think it's Mallika. It had fruit - large and globular with deep red coloration and looks every bit if 1.5 pounds or more: as big as Cannonball. The leaves had the correct shape but were much larger than those on my yearling Mallika.
globular and red = not Mallika
- Rob

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
Sry all those RPs and ODs are not available for cuttings or anything else  I spoke with farm owner and it was a big neg.  Once again sry to get Anyones hopes up.  Those trees are trees that we can not find any where but on our farm and she would like to keep it that way.  If they were mine I would LOVE to trade and bring these rare trees to others but not my call.   SRY!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk