Author Topic: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree  (Read 29547 times)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
Those two varieties are good, but not great in my opinion. Many other mangos are better tasting, have better size, etc. However, they are unique in flavor. If the owner doesn't want to propagate, she should at least see if Fairchild wants scions for their collection in case something happens to the grove (hurricanes, cold, development), etc.  I would think that grafted trees at $30-$50 a pop would make more $ than the fruit from these trees, but to each her own.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
I have a seedling tree that Ed told me would come true from seed (I asked him "are you sure?" twice and he affirmed).  My tree is tall and lanky and would maybe yield 2-3 scions (it is a pretty skinny tree). You are welcome to have them; just e-mail me.
I planted a seed from both Royal Purple and Orange Delicious in July. They have now been up for a month and both are evidently monoembryonic. Grafting will be the only way to acquire them.
RP & OD Seedlings:

Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »
I recently had the opportunity, thanks to Squam, to taste both the Royal Purple and Orange Delight.  Well, I hate to say this Merritt Islanders, but I would have to give them both thumbs down.  I found very little likability to any aspect of both.  While these are my feelings, I have tasted enough varieties and can be pretty sure that they would not fare very well in tastings with many of the better varieties grown here in SFla.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
I recently had the opportunity, thanks to Squam, to taste both the Royal Purple and Orange Delight.  Well, I hate to say this Merritt Islanders, but I would have to give them both thumbs down.  I found very little likability to any aspect of both.  While these are my feelings, I have tasted enough varieties and can be pretty sure that they would not fare very well in tastings with many of the better varieties grown here in SFla.

Please be more specific about why you give them the thumbs down?
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »

Please be more specific about why you give them the thumbs down?
Texture of both seemed to have a little fiber/resistance.  Not "creamy" in texture by any means.  Neither had any distinguishable tastes that would make them stand out.  Just a "mango" flavor with a more than average sub-acid level.  The OD seem to have a taste similar to VP but with more f an unappealing citrus twang.  I found nothing unique about Royal Purple so I can't even give any real comment as to why it was not likable.
- Rob

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »
I agree that there are other mango varieties in Florida that have much better fruit attributes. However, the Royal Purple is colorful and did leave a definite grape taste in my mouth that lasted for half an hour.
Richard

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
I want a royal purple mango tree!
Joe

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
I met someone who works at Enseys and stated that the RP is not a good tasting mango ..
Zone 10

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Just as a fyi, my good friend who lives in Costa Rica took some Orange Delicious seeds back with him and he now says they are really good there.    I haven't gotten any more description other than they are good.   I'll email him and ask more detail. 

I've been knee deep in my own grown mango so I haven't had a need to go buy mango the past ten years.  But, it would be interesting to go back and do another taste test of this chart I made back in 1999.

http://centralfloridapalms.com/fruit/mango/mimangovar.htm

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Dave - it looks to me like you'd be an "easy-grading" teacher had you worked
in the classroom!!!!

All your mango grades seemed like A- and above...sounds to me like
you REALLY REALLY like mangoes.....  ;)  or..... I suppose
it's also possible they were all really that good!

I agree with you on the KENT as your favorite, with the Keitt a close second - two of my top 5
right now as well......

thanks, gary

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
Gary, I had some Kents from Costco recently and they were excellent. Tried some Keitts that I recently bought and they were ok. However, last year that Keitts from SoCal were way better than the Kents from Mexico.

alnpat

• USA, FL/Central, Kissimmee, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »
Just had 4 Royal Purple mangoes in the past 3 days and out of the 13-14 varieties that I have previously tasted I put the RP in my top three. I don't know if having them this late in the season makes them better, because this is the first time I have ever tasted them. IMO the only draw back is that they are very small and have a poor seed to fruit ratio. The four that I had were fiber-less with the flesh around the seed being sweeter and softer. They weren't what I call very juicy like the Kent mangoes I have eaten, but as far as flavor goes, the most unique I have tasted so far. To me they taste like the grape Hubba Bubba bubblegum that I use to chew as a child, and maybe that is way I find the flavor so appealing. Smell and taste have a very strong link to memories and I believe that is way taste is so subjective. I have found myself thinking about the taste all day with great anticipation about going home and eating another one. They also have a great aftertaste, but I have found that any great mango also does. As far as the earlier post stating that the RP's are monoembryonic, my heart sank, but I will also try to germinate the seeds that I have to leave no doubt. I will probably be going back this Friday and I will try and get a picture of the RP tree in the slim chance that it is a poly so I can compare the leaf structure and see if I might have the real McCoy. Thanks for the great info on the forum. Peace and love

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Where does one get Royal Purple mangos from?  That description sounds intriguing.  Who didn't love grape hubba bubba
George

Eekler81 tropical trail

• Melbourne Beach FL Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
Hey guys i worked there a few summers ago and they really do taste unique and delicious

This is one of the 4 or 5 RP trees on the farm

alnpat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
Where does one get Royal Purple mangos from?  That description sounds intriguing.  Who didn't love grape hubba bubba

Ensey Tropical Fruit in Merritt Island, Florida. There open on the weekend. Just give Angie a call before you go to make sure they still have the Royal Purples left (321-205-3122/321-773-2652). The season is coming to an end, so get them while you can. They were charging $2/lbs. for individual mangoes, but I don't know how much the baskets go for.

Thanks for the picture Eekler81 tropical trail, what a large tree loaded with mangoes. I would love to see a close up of the leaf structure for comparison purposes. It must have been a very educational experience working on a mango tree farm on Merritt Island.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:22:21 PM by alnpat »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
Hey guys i worked there a few summers ago and they really do taste unique and delicious

This is one of the 4 or 5 RP trees on the farm

I have never had the fruit to try, but that is one beautifully productive tree.  I wish my mango trees were as nicely spaced out as pictured here.  I would have much better production for sure.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Hello Friends,

I recently had the pleasure of trying the "Royal Purple" Mango.  It was on the small side with average to below average seed to flesh ratio.  Although the flesh wasn't creamy or melting, it definitely had a very nice texture with almost no detectable fiber, except as you get closer to the seed.  The Mango has a very sweet flavor and almost no acidity.  When biting into the flesh, you immediately get a strong "Grape" flavor, yes almost like "Grape Hubba Bubba", with almost no or very little traditional Mango flavor nuances mixed in.  Additionally, the grape flavor intensified as I got closer to the skin. There was a very Strong "Grape" after taste that lingered for a while that was also very nice.  I have heard other people describe the mango as having a "Concord Grape" flavor, but I think it is more of a "Candy Grape" flavor, but delicious none-the-less.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Mango and would love to have a tree.  However, if you are looking for a Mango with that "Traditional" Mango flavor as part of its flavor profile, you will be disappointed with this mango, as that is one facet this mango lacks.

Anyways, I think this is a very unique Mango with a very unique flavor.  It is a tree that I would love to grow.

- Jacob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
Has anyone tried this mango in a blind folded tasting where the color of the mango wasn't known to the taster?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Has anyone tried this mango in a blind folded tasting where the color of the mango wasn't known to the taster?

I think this purple color is simply throwing everybody off.

alnpat

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »

I think this purple color is simply throwing everybody off.

Actually when ripe the color is a beautiful crimson red. I had my last Royal purple yesterday morning and it was the only one that had a purple blush. The other side was still green. I had tried to let it ripen for about 4-5 days and it had gotten softer. Unfortunately it tasted extremely green and not only didn't have a sweet grape taste, but was sour and obviously was not fit to eat. I believe that it was picked too early. The other 4 that my wife and I had eaten definitely had that grape candy taste, but as I have stated previously taste is very subjective. I'm going back to Ensey Tropical tomorrow with a friend and will try to give him a blind taste if they have anymore RP's left. Here are some pictures I downloaded from a tour of Ensey's farm thread by Mangoman2 (I think).

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
They look like Eunice's Carnival mangos, a tommy seedling. They are a late mangos and you have to catch them when they peak or.... :-\

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »
WOW this mango is loaded!!! Congratulations!  ;D

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 06:14:15 AM »
Last summer at Ensey's I was given a taste of a peeled Royal Purple before I was told anything about it and noticed the unusual grape flavor. The flavor is for real.
Richard